House GOP-led hearing on deregulation of gun silencers cancelled after shooting

I hope they do deregulate suppressors, guns are too loud!

Disagree. I don't want silencers for the same reason I don't like mufflers on motorcycles. Yes the excess noise is aggravating, but if you can't see where they are, the sound can help you pinpoint their location. It can mean the difference between life and death for the rider of the bike and the person who is the target of a shooter.
That's some bizarre reasoning. It's difficult to tell sound direction in a car from a distance and head on it isn't going to help anyway. I guess the world is supposed to freeze when big badass Harley rider is on the road? There's a reason for sound ordinances and they need to be enforced. People have the right to not having their heads rattled with your macho noise. And most of the dipsticks all concerned about "being heard" wear tiny helmets and chaps, not safety gear.

No. They don't completely silence them. I understand that gun nuts see no need for anything that is less than 100% effective. If someone came up with a cancer cure that was only 95% effective. You would claim it as worthless because it didn't work every time.

I guess the first part of my answer just flew right over your pathetic snowflake, tin foil covered, pointy little head.

We can get to that part in a minute.explain why less than 100% is useless.

Why should I explain something I never said, I'd like to have one for my hog gun, wouldn't disturb the neighbors so much.

You didn't say _"they really don't silence them" ?

I didn't say less than 100% makes them useless, those were your words. Are you too senile to remember what YOU said?

OK. What did you mean when you said they don't work?

I've heard that suppressors only work well with .22 cal handguns. That's not the choice of the gang banger or mall shooters.

Disagree. I don't want silencers for the same reason I don't like mufflers on motorcycles. Yes the excess noise is aggravating, but if you can't see where they are, the sound can help you pinpoint their location. It can mean the difference between life and death for the rider of the bike and the person who is the target of a shooter.
That's some bizarre reasoning. It's difficult to tell sound direction in a car from a distance and head on it isn't going to help anyway. I guess the world is supposed to freeze when big badass Harley rider is on the road? There's a reason for sound ordinances and they need to be enforced. People have the right to not having their heads rattled with your macho noise. And most of the dipsticks all concerned about "being heard" wear tiny helmets and chaps, not safety gear.

It was just an aside to the discussion, but since the large majority of motorcycle wrecks are caused by cars that didn't even know the bike was there, I kinda like adding sound to the ways a car driver might become aware of a bike near them.

I guess the first part of my answer just flew right over your pathetic snowflake, tin foil covered, pointy little head.

Why should I explain something I never said, I'd like to have one for my hog gun, wouldn't disturb the neighbors so much.

I didn't say less than 100% makes them useless, those were your words. Are you too senile to remember what YOU said?

Feel free to quote the post where I used the words, "they don't work".

I've heard that suppressors only work well with .22 cal handguns. That's not the choice of the gang banger or mall shooters.

Credible link, or just something you heard?
Just something I heard from people like cops and shooters but what do they know. It makes sense too. No, I'm not digging up a link on what I've heard, maybe the NSA has it?

What did you mean when you said "they really don't silence them"?
Sounds like you saying they don't work to me.

Just something I heard from people like cops and shooters but what do they know. It makes sense too. No, I'm not digging up a link on what I've heard, maybe the NSA has it?

So all you got is an unfounded claim. Imagine my surprise.

The fact that you keep calling them silencers proves you do not know what you are talking about.

Exactly what I said, do I need to provide the definition of "silence"? Your car muffler is a noise suppressor, does it totally silence the exhaust noise?

Exactly what I said, do I need to provide the definition of "silence"? Your car muffler is a noise suppressor, does it totally silence the exhaust noise?

So you want to hide behind a silly semantic dodge? We both know what device we are talking about, no matter hat name you want to put on it. Fine, we'll call it a noise suppressor if that makes you happy. It changes nothing. You know I never implied that I expected it to remove all sound.

So you want to hide behind a silly semantic dodge? We both know what device we are talking about, no matter hat name you want to put on it. Fine, we'll call it a noise suppressor if that makes you happy. It changes nothing. You know I never implied that I expected it to remove all sound.

Take a peek at how a suppressor works and how much extra hardware you would have to conceal.

Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-SC), who was at the baseball game, introduced a measure to make it easier to purchase gun silencers.

After the shooting at a Congressional baseball practice Wednesday morning, the House cancelled a scheduled hearing in which a National Rifle Association leader was to push for the deregulation of gun silencers.

The GOP-sponsored bill up for debate in the House Natural Resources Committee, the Sportsmen Heritage and Recreational Enhancement Act (SHARE Act), would have removed gun silencers from the list of items regulated by the 1934 National Firearms Act.

Silencers — also referred to as suppressors by the gun lobby — reduce the noise emitted from firearms. Under current law, they are regulated as strictly as machine guns and short-barreled rifles, but the gun lobby claims that these regulations are costly and unnecessary. They argue it’s more important to protect law-abiding gun owners against potential hearing loss.

Opponents, meanwhile, claim that deregulation would lead to more gun violence.

“The proliferation of silencers would introduce a menacing new threat to our nation’s communities and our law enforcement professionals,” Sean Simons, deputy press secretary at Americans for Responsible Solutions, told The Trace.

Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-SC), the lawmaker who introduced the Hearing Protection Act and included that legislation in the SHARE Act for debate, was at the Congressional baseball practice Wednesday morning but was not injured. On Tuesday, he tweeted that he was “very proud to be continuing to move the ball forward” on the deregulation of silencers.

More: House GOP-led hearing on deregulation of gun silencers cancelled after shooting

Just imagine if the Alexandria shooter had a silencer. They had enough trouble trying to ascertain where the shots were coming from.
:lmao:
You silly bastard, there is no reason to regulate so called silencers. You do realize that they are suppressors not silencers?
See that's the problem with people like you Washington Redskin, you watch too much Hollywood movies thinking you know your ass from a hole in the ground when It comes to firearms

Take a peek at how a suppressor works and how much extra hardware you would have to conceal.

I conceal that much hardware in my pants every day. A couple inches diameter and 6 or 8 inches long, depending on how cold it is.

I conceal that much hardware in my pants every day. A couple inches diameter and 6 or 8 inches long, depending on how cold it is.

Only in your dreams.

:bsflag:

“The gun lobby argues it’s more important to protect law-abiding gun owners against potential hearing loss.”

That’s a crock.

“Opponents, meanwhile, claim that deregulation would lead to more gun violence.”

That’s also a crock.

Both sides of the issue are equally ridiculous and wrong.

Forum List

Back