How Boomers Can Keep their Identities Safe

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
After being a victim of identity theft...my bank now monitors all transactions made online...sometimes blocking things until I verify them. Sometimes an annoying extra step. But well worth the alternative that's for sure.

Identity theft is America's fastest-growing crime, and scammers are increasingly targeting older Americans.

According to the Federal Trade Commission, identity theft complaints in the U.S. jumped more than 78% between 2009 and 2011—and show no signs of slowing down.

Identity thieves are looking for victims that will provide the most financial benefit, and oftentimes, boomers fit the bill. Boomers tend to have strong credit ratings, more savings than younger consumers and access to credit.

To help boomers keep their personal and financial information secure, I reached out to Scott Mitic, CEO of identity protection company TrustedID, for tips for boomers to protect their identity:

Read more: How Boomers Can Keep their Identities Safe | Fox Business

What service is it that will monitor your account? Does it cost extra? I wouldn't mind approving everything so long as I knew that I wasn't going to be ripped off. This type of stuff really worries me. I work about 80 hours a week, so I don't want money I work hard to to just vanish.

Forum List

Back