How can Illinois deny my right to carry?

Don't be a pussy!

Carry your gun with you everywhere you go. And if you get caught, take your lumps like man.
Easy to say. But a criminal conviction can and probably will ruin one's future -- not to mention the utter miseries and degradation of a prison sentence.

I have a clean background but New Jersey refuses to issue a carry permit to me unless I have a "special need," such as an occupation that requires carrying a gun. Even then, the permit would accommodate only working hours.

New Jersey has the most repressive gun laws in the U.S.

It's not violating the 2nd amendment to put in rules.
Denying someone the exercise of their rights simply because they are not in their home state is most certainly a constitutional issue - in this case, a 2A issue as applied to the states thru the 14th amendment.
Not really
Explain how. With specifics.
Explain how to contact your state rep and what to say?! Come on. You are an adult, you can take it from here.

Denying someone the exercise of their rights simply because they are not in their home state is most certainly a constitutional issue - in this case, a 2A issue as applied to the states thru the 14th amendment.
Not really
Explain how to contact your state rep and what to say?! Come on. You are an adult, you can take it from here.
In other words,, you cannot, with specifics, explain how denying someone the exercise of their rights simply because they are not in their home state is "not really" a constitutional issue.
Thank you.

Not really
In other words,, you cannot, with specifics, explain how denying someone the exercise of their rights simply because they are not in their home state is "not really" a constitutional issue.
Thank you.
Uh huh. You are not listening and obviously, you have not read the Constitution, nor have you acquainted yourself with the laws of your state and gun laws in general. I am done spoon feeding you.

Not really
Thank you.
Uh huh. You are not listening and obviously, you have not read the Constitution, nor have you acquainted yourself with the laws of your state and gun laws in general. I am done spoon feeding you.
Thank you for your concession of the point.

I fully expect that those who believe Illinois can deny me that right will have no sound argument as to how it can constitutionally do so.
The Second Amendment is clear in its intent but governing authorities are so determined to deny citizens their right to carry guns they have erected such intricate barriers of legalistic bullshit and mumbo-jumbo it simply isn't worth the expense and effort to carry it through the court system.

I fully expect that those who believe Illinois can deny me that right will have no sound argument as to how it can constitutionally do so.
The Second Amendment is clear in its intent but governing authorities are so determined to deny citizens their right to carry guns they have erected such intricate barriers of legalistic bullshit and mumbo-jumbo it simply isn't worth the expense and effort to carry it through the court system.
Goes to show that certain people only believe a right is actually a right when they like it.

Regulation. Well regulated militia. A militia that is well 'regulated'

other than being in a militia, no one has a federally protected constitutional right to carry weapons in public
Didn't read Heller, huh?

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

Held:
The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a
firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

Pp. 2–53.
(a)
The Amendment’s prefatory clause announces a purpose, but
does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative clause. The operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms. Pp. 2–22.

If a state offers a license to (x), it cannot constitutionally deny a license to (x) from another state.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.
I'm a firm believer in states' rights, and any time the Feds step in to settle a dispute, there are no winners.
However, with the recent SCOTUS ruling on SSM, perhaps they could use the same convoluted logic on the topic of concealed carry and we wouldn't have to worry about conflicting state laws in the future - especially since the right to "keep and bear arms" is explicitly mentioned in the Constitution, while marriage (of any sort) is not.
Incorrect.

The right to due process and equal protection of the law is in fact in the Constitution, where seeking to deny same-sex couples access to marriage law they're eligible to participate in simply because of who they are violates the 14th Amendment.

If a given state sought to deny a resident a conceal carry permit because of his race or sexual orientation, then there might be a valid 14th Amendment claim, having nothing to do with the Second Amendment.

Otherwise, one state not acknowledging a concealed carry permit from another state violates neither the 2nd nor 14th Amendments.

If a state offers a license to (x), it cannot constitutionally deny a license to (x) from another state.
I'm a firm believer in states' rights, and any time the Feds step in to settle a dispute, there are no winners.
However, with the recent SCOTUS ruling on SSM, perhaps they could use the same convoluted logic on the topic of concealed carry and we wouldn't have to worry about conflicting state laws in the future - especially since the right to "keep and bear arms" is explicitly mentioned in the Constitution, while marriage (of any sort) is not.
Let me ask you this: Can a person with a valid drivers' license in Ohio drive legally in Illinois? There should be no difference; in fact, LESS difference. The Constitution does not guarantee the right to drive.
When an Ohio resident becomes a resident of Illinois, he must surrender his Ohio driver's license and obtain a license in Illinois, no different than a concealed carry permit.

Perhaps it is time to get the SCOTUS involved in the matter again. After all, the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution does state that the people have the right to "bear" arms. Taken literally, it means that the people have the right to "carry" weapons. One concealed carry permit, along with one firearms safety course, should be good for all states. After all, the general populace doesn't feel threatened if they cannot see the weapon and thus don't know the person is armed for their personal safety/protection.....and.....if an unarmed citizen is in danger for their life, the person near them, carrying a concealed weapon, would more than likely be their savior. The police are a "reactionary" force. They arrive "after" the unarmed citizen is already a victim.
And what exactly will the 'challenge' be – there's no Second Amendment 'violation' if residents of each of the 50 states are afforded the right to carry a concealed firearm, which is currently the case.

Any suit would need the challenge a given state's concealed carry law itself, making the argument that requiring citizens to receive training, pay various fees, and carry a permit when carrying a concealed firearm violates the Second Amendment right.

Let me ask you this: Can a person with a valid drivers' license in Ohio drive legally in Illinois? There should be no difference; in fact, LESS difference. The Constitution does not guarantee the right to drive.
When an Ohio resident becomes a resident of Illinois, he must surrender his Ohio driver's license and obtain a license in Illinois, no different than a concealed carry permit.
Of course he must, but he can still drive in Ohio, can he not?

VASTLY different as far as I can see. You're too easy.

Dipshit...he is talking about driving in Illinois not becoming a resident of Illinois.....

Alas, the right to bear arms is not quite straight forward. Happily, as Alystyr said, some states honor concealed carry permits from other states. You have to check before you travel. AAA should add that need to know detail on their triptiks!
Yes. The question is how can IL constitutionally do this.
States have the first say. States rights trump federal. That is in the constitution. So things like concealed carry are controlled by each state. We all have the right to bear arms thanks to the 2nd amendment but states set specific limits.

By that "logic", my New Hampshire drivers' license should not be valid in Illinois.

other than being in a militia, no one has a federally protected constitutional right to carry weapons in public

No matter how many times you and your socks regurgitate that, it is still a LIE!

No matter how many times you and your socks regurgitate that, it is still a LIE!
natural rights are recognized and secured in State Constitutions; the general government Only secures Due Process.

Didn't read Heller, huh?

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

Held:
The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a
firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

Pp. 2–53.
(a)
The Amendment’s prefatory clause announces a purpose, but
does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative clause. The operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms. Pp. 2–22.
To keep and bear arms. Carrying weapons in public. All regulated by state laws, because there is no constitutional protection to open carry

or do you know of a case where all gun laws have been struck down?

Ernie?

"other than being in a militia, no one has a federally protected constitutional right to carry weapons in public" -- you have not addressed the statement. maybe one can carry unloaded weapons, but... :lol:

Ernie S.

Of course he must, but he can still drive in Ohio, can he not?

VASTLY different as far as I can see. You're too easy.
Vastly different? In what world?

He can only drive because he has a new license. A driver who becomes a resident and does not change their license is open to liability in accidents and more. It's about regulation.

regulation

Forum List

Back