How can Illinois deny my right to carry?

How then can Illinois constitutionally refuse to honor my Ohio CCW permit?
Constitutionally, they aren't denying your right to carry. They just aren't recognizing a document issued by another state.
Illinois should have to honor your Ohio CCW permit.
True. Many states have a reciprocity agreement in place to deal with situations like this. If Illinois doesn't, then the state legislature really needs to remedy this.
But they are failing to recognize the right to carry. Such a right is not tethered to a permit. In fact, the 2nd Amendment prohibits such an infringement.
Technically, it prohibits such an infringement by the federal government only, but universal reciprocity is only a law or SCOTUS decision away.
Not so - the 2nd has been incorporated against actions by the states thru the 14th amendment.
But SCOTUS has ruled states can enact some more restrictive laws.
True, but...
-The 2nd protects the right to carry outside the home.
-Illinois issues CCW permits.-
-How can I, as an Ohioan with the right ti carry a gun, be denied that same right held by the people of Illinois?

Constitutionally, they aren't denying your right to carry. They just aren't recognizing a document issued by another state.
Illinois should have to honor your Ohio CCW permit.
True. Many states have a reciprocity agreement in place to deal with situations like this. If Illinois doesn't, then the state legislature really needs to remedy this.
But they are failing to recognize the right to carry. Such a right is not tethered to a permit. In fact, the 2nd Amendment prohibits such an infringement.
Technically, it prohibits such an infringement by the federal government only, but universal reciprocity is only a law or SCOTUS decision away.
I believe that there's been at lest three bills submitted since the start of this year regarding that, but it doesn't look like they've gone anywhere.

According to the US 7th Circuit, I have a right to carry a loaded and concealed firearm in the state of Illinois; said right is protected by the 2nd Amendment.
http://www.harvardlawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/vol126_moore_v_madigan.pdf

Since this ruling, Illinois changed its laws to be a shall-issue CCW state.

The Supreme Court ruled same sex marriages had to be honored across state lines years ago. I guess it is law until the Supreme Court says otherwise.

According to the US 7th Circuit, I have a right to carry a loaded and concealed firearm in the state of Illinois; said right is protected by the 2nd Amendment.
http://www.harvardlawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/vol126_moore_v_madigan.pdf

Since this ruling, Illinois changed its laws to be a shall-issue CCW state.

The Supreme Court ruled same sex marriages had to be honored across state lines years ago. I guess it is law until the Supreme Court says otherwise.
This doesn't answer my question.

You are expecting an answer of a rational question concerning an irrational government?

How can I, as an Ohioan with the right ti carry a gun, be denied that same right held by the people of Illinois?
You aren't being denied anything. The process for obtaining a permit is the same for non-residents as it is for residents - it just costs more.
If Illinois allowed no-permit concealed carry for residents but not for non-residents, then there might be an issue.

How can I, as an Ohioan with the right ti carry a gun, be denied that same right held by the people of Illinois?
You aren't being denied anything. The process for obtaining a permit is the same for non-residents as it is for residents - it just costs more.
If Illinois allowed no-permit concealed carry for residents but not for non-residents, then there might be an issue.
I fail to see that detail in the 2nd Amendment. Wait, let me look again........nope, not there.

You aren't being denied anything.
I am - I cannot exercise my right to carry in IL, even though I have a license to do so from another state, a license for something that IL must issue to its people.
How can Illinois constitutionally refuse to recognize my OH license?

Not so - the 2nd has been incorporated against actions by the states thru the 14th amendment.
But SCOTUS has ruled states can enact some more restrictive laws.
True, but...
-The 2nd protects the right to carry outside the home.
-Illinois issues CCW permits.-
-How can I, as an Ohioan with the right ti carry a gun, be denied that same right held by the people of Illinois?
I agree with you, but facts is facts. At this moment, your OH license is no good in Il. My 'Bama licence is the same.
Perhaps get on one of your state reps to try to reach an agreement with Illinois or write your US rep and Senators and ask them to push a bill for universal reciprocity.

I am - I cannot exercise my right to carry in IL, even though I have a license to do so from another state, a license for something that IL must issue to its people.
It should be the same as with driver's licenses, and I'll agree that it's wrong that they don't honor it.
I just don't think that it's a Constitutional issue.

Illinois Concealed Carry Quick Stats
  • On July 9, 2013, The Illinois Goverenor’s veto of the concealed carry bill was overridden making Illinois the final state to issue concealed carry permits. The Illinois State Police have 180 days to develop the process. We will update the details on this page accordingly as more information is provided.
  • Shall Issue
  • Resident and Non-Resident Permits Issued
  • 21 years of age required
  • $150 for 5 Years for Residents
  • $300 for 5 Years for Non-Residents
  • 90 Day Processing Time
  • Illinois Reciprocity Maps

It should be the same as with driver's licenses, and I'll agree that it's wrong that they don't honor it.
It deals directly with denying a constitutional right...:dunno:

Sure it is. The 2nd Amendment prohibits such infringements.

They shouldn't if you are just passing through.

Shooter, I normally agree with most of your posts, but I think that you're a little off in this thread.
The right to concealed carry is not being denied. If you go through the same process as a resident, you can carry concealed just like they can.
If Illinois prohibited non-residents from carrying concealed at all, but allowed residents to do so, then perhaps an argument could be made.
It's a matter of (non-)agreement between states that needs to be addressed, but it's not a Constitutional issue.

Sure it is. The 2nd Amendment prohibits such infringements.
Denying someone the exercise of a right because they are from another state is clearly an infringement.

Shooter, I normally agree with most of your posts, but I think that you're a little off in this thread.
The right to concealed carry is not being denied. If you go through the same process as a resident, you can carry concealed just like they can.
I did. I have a license to carry.
If a state offers a license to (x), it cannot constitutionally deny a license to (x) from another state.
This is especially the case then that license is tied directly to the exercise of a constitutional right.

If a state offers a license to (x), it cannot constitutionally deny a license to (x) from another state.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.
I'm a firm believer in states' rights, and any time the Feds step in to settle a dispute, there are no winners.
However, with the recent SCOTUS ruling on SSM, perhaps they could use the same convoluted logic on the topic of concealed carry and we wouldn't have to worry about conflicting state laws in the future - especially since the right to "keep and bear arms" is explicitly mentioned in the Constitution, while marriage (of any sort) is not.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.
I'm a firm believer in states' rights, and any time the Feds step in to settle a dispute, there are no winners.
However, with the recent SCOTUS ruling on SSM, perhaps they could use the same convoluted logic on the topic of concealed carry and we wouldn't have to worry about conflicting state laws in the future - especially since the right to "keep and bear arms" is explicitly mentioned in the Constitution, while marriage (of any sort) is not.
Let me ask you this: Can a person with a valid drivers' license in Ohio drive legally in Illinois? There should be no difference; in fact, LESS difference. The Constitution does not guarantee the right to drive.

Forum List

Back