How can Illinois deny my right to carry?

If a state offers a license to (x), it cannot constitutionally deny a license to (x) from another state.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.
I'm a firm believer in states' rights, and any time the Feds step in to settle a dispute, there are no winners.
However, with the recent SCOTUS ruling on SSM, perhaps they could use the same convoluted logic on the topic of concealed carry and we wouldn't have to worry about conflicting state laws in the future - especially since the right to "keep and bear arms" is explicitly mentioned in the Constitution, while marriage (of any sort) is not.
Let me ask you this: Can a person with a valid drivers' license in Ohio drive legally in Illinois? There should be no difference; in fact, LESS difference. The Constitution does not guarantee the right to drive.
When an Ohio resident becomes a resident of Illinois, he must surrender his Ohio driver's license and obtain a license in Illinois, no different than a concealed carry permit.

Dipshit...he is talking about driving in Illinois not becoming a resident of Illinois.....
The Constitution does not guarantee the right to drive. The constitution does not guarantee the right to carry firearms in public sans regulation. A state can make it legal for everyone to open carry. Good luck with that. I'd favor it, but then again I'd have little compunction taking a life if the choice was protecting myself

Jarlaxle
Regulation. Well regulated militia. A militia that is well 'regulated'

other than being in a militia, no one has a federally protected constitutional right to carry weapons in public

No matter how many times you and your socks regurgitate that, it is still a LIE!
Really?

Then why can you NOT carry your weapons openly in the streets and across state lines?

come on genius...tell the class....wow us all...

other than being in a militia, no one has a federally protected constitutional right to carry weapons in public

No matter how many times you and your socks regurgitate that, it is still a LIE!
natural rights are recognized and secured in State Constitutions; the general government Only secures Due Process.
huh?

Jarlaxle

Really?

Then why can you NOT carry your weapons openly in the streets and across state lines?

Because, flea brain, the states are ignoring the Constitution. You drunk again, boy?

Didn't read Heller, huh?

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

Held:
The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a
firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

Pp. 2–53.
(a)
The Amendment’s prefatory clause announces a purpose, but
does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative clause. The operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms. Pp. 2–22.
To keep and bear arms. Carrying weapons in public. All regulated by state laws, because there is no constitutional protection to open carry

or do you know of a case where all gun laws have been struck down?

Ernie?

"other than being in a militia, no one has a federally protected constitutional right to carry weapons in public" -- you have not addressed the statement. maybe one can carry unloaded weapons, but... :lol:

Ernie S.
I do have the federally protected right. Now, granted states may, at this point in time place additional limits on my right to carry, but Alabama does not except in a school, courthouse or a police station.
I frequently carry open and intend to a lot more once my new gun belt arrives.

Because your carry issue is not Constitutional in that it is binding on all states.
Wow... The full faith and credit clause ( remember the supremacy clause) takes precedence....All it would take is to get the 7th District's decision kicked up to the SCOTUS and if the plaintiff(s) prevail, these namby pamby blue state gun laws get tossed in the crapper.

If a state offers a license to (x), it cannot constitutionally deny a license to (x) from another state.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.
I'm a firm believer in states' rights, and any time the Feds step in to settle a dispute, there are no winners.
However, with the recent SCOTUS ruling on SSM, perhaps they could use the same convoluted logic on the topic of concealed carry and we wouldn't have to worry about conflicting state laws in the future - especially since the right to "keep and bear arms" is explicitly mentioned in the Constitution, while marriage (of any sort) is not.
Let me ask you this: Can a person with a valid drivers' license in Ohio drive legally in Illinois? There should be no difference; in fact, LESS difference. The Constitution does not guarantee the right to drive.
When an Ohio resident becomes a resident of Illinois, he must surrender his Ohio driver's license and obtain a license in Illinois, no different than a concealed carry permit.

Dipshit...he is talking about driving in Illinois not becoming a resident of Illinois.....
The Constitution does not guarantee the right to drive. The constitution does not guarantee the right to carry firearms in public sans regulation. A state can make it legal for everyone to open carry. Good luck with that. I'd favor it, but then again I'd have little compunction taking a life if the choice was protecting myself
True.

Indeed, the Constitution recognizes the fact that the Second Amendment right is not absolute, and subject to reasonable restrictions by government – including establishing the provisions by which one might carry a concealed firearm.

Of course he must, but he can still drive in Ohio, can he not?

VASTLY different as far as I can see. You're too easy.
Vastly different? In what world?

He can only drive because he has a new license. A driver who becomes a resident and does not change their license is open to liability in accidents and more. It's about regulation.

regulation
Let's see if I can 'splain it to you, numbnuts.

It is universally accepted that you must obtain a drivers' license in your state of residence.

BUT
When one moves from Illinois to Ohio and obtains an Ohio drivers' license, he is free to drive in Illinois. Why cannot an Ohio citizen with a valid concealed carry permit from Ohio carry his weapon in Ilinois?
Granted. Current case law allows states to issue resident and nonresident permits and to decide which other states' permits I/we are arguing that a state that allows reciprocity for the unprotected right to operate a motor vehicle across state lines while not allowing the PROTECTED right to keep and bear LOADED) arms across the same lines. It is now mandated that states recognize marriages from another state. Why not CCPs?
In this particular case, Ohio recognizes Illinois permits, but not vice versa. How is that just?

Jarlaxle

Really?

I can. I can carry openly in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and in some cases, Florida.

According to the US 7th Circuit, I have a right to carry a loaded and concealed firearm in the state of Illinois; said right is protected by the 2nd Amendment.
http://www.harvardlawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/vol126_moore_v_madigan.pdf

Since this ruling, Illinois changed its laws to be a shall-issue CCW state.

How then can Illinois constitutionally refuse to honor my Ohio CCW permit?

they've read the crazy shit you post here and realize they don't want you in their state with a gun?

The best argument for gun control is a conversation with a gun nut about all the people he wants to shoot.

Because your carry issue is not Constitutional in that it is binding on all states.
Wow... The full faith and credit clause ( remember the supremacy clause) takes precedence....All it would take is to get the 7th District's decision kicked up to the SCOTUS and if the plaintiff(s) prevail, these namby pamby blue state gun laws get tossed in the crapper.
Oh . . . wow. This has all been explaned to you, and your outstanding reply is "nuh uh".

"How can Illinois deny my right to carry?"

The same way our Federal Reps can exempt themselves from the laws they pass...

Of course he must, but he can still drive in Ohio, can he not?

VASTLY different as far as I can see. You're too easy.
Vastly different? In what world?

He can only drive because he has a new license. A driver who becomes a resident and does not change their license is open to liability in accidents and more. It's about regulation.

regulation
Let's see if I can 'splain it to you, numbnuts.

It is universally accepted that you must obtain a drivers' license in your state of residence.

BUT
When one moves from Illinois to Ohio and obtains an Ohio drivers' license, he is free to drive in Illinois. Why cannot an Ohio citizen with a valid concealed carry permit from Ohio carry his weapon in Ilinois?
Granted. Current case law allows states to issue resident and nonresident permits and to decide which other states' permits I/we are arguing that a state that allows reciprocity for the unprotected right to operate a motor vehicle across state lines while not allowing the PROTECTED right to keep and bear LOADED) arms across the same lines. It is now mandated that states recognize marriages from another state. Why not CCPs?
In this particular case, Ohio recognizes Illinois permits, but not vice versa. How is that just?
It if far more basic than this.
No state can deny the rights of people from another state,.
People in IL have the right to carry a concealed firearm,
People from OH who have the right to carry a concealed firearm do not have the right to carry a concealed firearm in IL.
:dunno:

Jarlaxle

Really?

Because, flea brain, the states are ignoring the Constitution. You drunk again, boy?

Really?

Does the Supreme Court know about this?

What about the political parties? Is this a secret thing? A c-o-n-s-p-i-r-a-c-y???

Didn't read Heller, huh?

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

Held:
The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a
firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

Pp. 2–53.
(a)
The Amendment’s prefatory clause announces a purpose, but
does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative clause. The operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms. Pp. 2–22.
To keep and bear arms. Carrying weapons in public. All regulated by state laws, because there is no constitutional protection to open carry

or do you know of a case where all gun laws have been struck down?

Ernie?

"other than being in a militia, no one has a federally protected constitutional right to carry weapons in public" -- you have not addressed the statement. maybe one can carry unloaded weapons, but... :lol:

Ernie S.
I do have the federally protected right. Now, granted states may, at this point in time place additional limits on my right to carry, but Alabama does not except in a school, courthouse or a police station.
I frequently carry open and intend to a lot more once my new gun belt arrives.

In Alabama. Because Alabama ALLOWS you to

So if one state says 15 year olds can drink? What if three states say It's okay beat the crap out of your kids?

Forum List

Back