How can Illinois deny my right to carry?

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.
I'm a firm believer in states' rights, and any time the Feds step in to settle a dispute, there are no winners.
However, with the recent SCOTUS ruling on SSM, perhaps they could use the same convoluted logic on the topic of concealed carry and we wouldn't have to worry about conflicting state laws in the future - especially since the right to "keep and bear arms" is explicitly mentioned in the Constitution, while marriage (of any sort) is not.
Let me ask you this: Can a person with a valid drivers' license in Ohio drive legally in Illinois? There should be no difference; in fact, LESS difference. The Constitution does not guarantee the right to drive.
When an Ohio resident becomes a resident of Illinois, he must surrender his Ohio driver's license and obtain a license in Illinois, no different than a concealed carry permit.

Dipshit...he is talking about driving in Illinois not becoming a resident of Illinois.....
The Constitution does not guarantee the right to drive. The constitution does not guarantee the right to carry firearms in public sans regulation. A state can make it legal for everyone to open carry. Good luck with that. I'd favor it, but then again I'd have little compunction taking a life if the choice was protecting myself
True.

Indeed, the Constitution recognizes the fact that the Second Amendment right is not absolute, and subject to reasonable restrictions by government – including establishing the provisions by which one might carry a concealed firearm.
No rights are absolute, except...

the right to be wrong

When an Ohio resident becomes a resident of Illinois, he must surrender his Ohio driver's license and obtain a license in Illinois, no different than a concealed carry permit.
Of course he must, but he can still drive in Ohio, can he not?

VASTLY different as far as I can see. You're too easy.
Vastly different? In what world?

He can only drive because he has a new license. A driver who becomes a resident and does not change their license is open to liability in accidents and more. It's about regulation.

regulation
Let's see if I can 'splain it to you, numbnuts.

It is universally accepted that you must obtain a drivers' license in your state of residence.

BUT
When one moves from Illinois to Ohio and obtains an Ohio drivers' license, he is free to drive in Illinois. Why cannot an Ohio citizen with a valid concealed carry permit from Ohio carry his weapon in Ilinois?
Granted. Current case law allows states to issue resident and nonresident permits and to decide which other states' permits I/we are arguing that a state that allows reciprocity for the unprotected right to operate a motor vehicle across state lines while not allowing the PROTECTED right to keep and bear LOADED) arms across the same lines. It is now mandated that states recognize marriages from another state. Why not CCPs?
In this particular case, Ohio recognizes Illinois permits, but not vice versa. How is that just?
All of which brings us back to the full faith and credit clause. This clause among other issues was written to prevent confusion and restrictions among or between the states. Other purposes. To prevent states from selectively passing laws discriminating against citizens of a particular state or states. For example, the government of New Hampshire has no tax on off premise liquor consumption purchases while neighboring Massachusetts has a very high tax for same. Such full faith and credit laws prevent Massachusetts from passing punitive or restrictive laws against residents of New Hampshire in retaliation against the New Hampshire government because of its refusal to recognize Massachusetts law and collect Massachusetts Taxes on that state's residents.
Finally along with the commerce clause, the full faith and credit clause is designed to prevent US citizens from having to wade through a hodgepodge of laws of the individual states.
Somehow firearms, fish and game laws have been able to skirt this.
It's time to rectify this lunacy.

According to the US 7th Circuit, I have a right to carry a loaded and concealed firearm in the state of Illinois; said right is protected by the 2nd Amendment.
http://www.harvardlawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/vol126_moore_v_madigan.pdf

Since this ruling, Illinois changed its laws to be a shall-issue CCW state.

How then can Illinois constitutionally refuse to honor my Ohio CCW permit?

They can't... objectively speaking.

The problem ya have is that there's only... something like 6 people in Illinois with the intellectual means sufficient to reason objectively. So, when Carrying in Illinois.. you should do so with a 12.88 million round mag and a spare few dozen barrels. Remember... success is found in fire AND maneuver... .

Last edited:
Don't be a pussy!
Carry your gun with you everywhere you go. And if you get caught, take your lumps like man.
So... you don't have an actual, sound response to my question?
Do Illinois and Ohio have a lawfully correct Interstate Compact approved by Congress under Article I, Sec 10, Cls 3 of the Constitution observing reciprocity between the two States? Without that Compact, there is no reciprocal recognition of CC permits between two or more States.

Don't be a pussy!
Carry your gun with you everywhere you go. And if you get caught, take your lumps like man.
Do Illinois and Ohio have a lawfully correct Interstate Compact approved by Congress under Article I, Sec 10, Cls 3 of the Constitution observing reciprocity between the two States? Without that Compact, there is no reciprocal recognition of CC permits between two or more States.
Ohio recognizes Illinois permits, but Illinois does not recognize Ohio permits

Don't be a pussy!
Ohio recognizes Illinois permits, but Illinois does not recognize Ohio permits

Illinois doesn't recognize any other State CC permits! So, obviously, Illinois has not entered into a compact with any State!
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

If you are just passing through for commute purposes; then, I don't know why that State would have a problem if primarily traveling for the purposes of Commerce, well regulated.

Why not ask Persons in the precious commodities (ie: gems and metals) who travel through various States, I am sure they have similar concerns.

Forum List

Back