How do people survive on minimum wage?

Do you really think that if the mw goes up that hotels suddenly won't need maids, or farmers won't need pickers?

Yes.

You see, hotels sell their rooms for a rate.

Farmers sell their produce.

The price and the demand are inversely related (as price goes up, demand goes down).

To maintain the before tax profit margin = (selling price - production cost), if the cost rises, then the price must rise, and demand will decline.

Once demand declines, then there will be less need for maid service and tomatoe pickers.

This is Economics 101

1) minimum wage is set so low and the increases so small that most places are already paying more.

2) those jobs are necessary jobs that our society can't do without.

Do you really think that if the mw goes up that hotels suddenly won't need maids, or farmers won't need pickers?
If you raise minimum wage what will we accomplish? To have it be an almost livable wage on we would have to raise it to around $10 an hour.....Now with that the cost of living goes up cause business are not like the government they cant print more money so they have to charge more to make up the cost.......So that means we are back at square one or worse cause now we have those who make more than minimum needed raises to be able to live on the increase of cost.....Like all things liberals dream up the truth of consequences far outweigh any good they wish to do.

Again, prices would be raised on everyone, not just those making mw. Our even increasing income gap would shrink. Our country would begin to stabilize. No country can long survive with the majority of it's wealth in the hands of a few.

:eusa_eh:

Wow.

You really believe that as prices rise, demand will simply remain the same?

Then why doesn't everyone simply raise their prices; hell, we could all sell tomatoes for $100/lb?

:eusa_hand:

Um, no: People would stop eating tomatoes, or they would simply grow their own produce.

Yes.

The price and the demand are inversely related (as price goes up, demand goes down).

To maintain the before tax profit margin = (selling price - production cost), if the cost rises, then the price must rise, and demand will decline.

Once demand declines, then there will be less need for maid service and tomatoe pickers.

This is Economics 101

Took econ 101, I think you missed some key classes. supply AND demand. They go together. If the people picking the tomatoes can now afford to buy them, they will sell more tomatoes, not less. Henry Ford discovered that when he instituted the first mw in our country and suddenly his workers could afford to buy his product and his sales and profits sky rocketed.

Funny. Last time the minimum wage increased, unempoyment spiked. Oddly enough, it's still up. Coincidence?

How is that possible? people don't hire as much when it goes up?:confused:

1) minimum wage is set so low and the increases so small that most places are already paying more.

2) those jobs are necessary jobs that our society can't do without.

No, but the cost of goods and services increases. Why is economics such a difficult concept for the left to comprehend?

---(They don't they just exist after 3 years they become zombies)----

Article> One of my clients recently reported getting a job at a fast-food restaurant. Since she's been unemployed and desperately looking for work for nearly a year, I was thrilled for her. She was very excited that she'll be making $7.50 an hour -– a whole quarter more than minimum wage.

After she left my office, I got out a calculator. I've never worked for minimum wage, so I didn't know exactly how much -- or how little -- money that is.

Assuming 80 hours per pay period, my client will be bringing home around $462 every two weeks. That's with no health insurance or retirement contributions.

If I brought home $924 a month, would I even be able to survive? I decided to find out.

read more How do people survive on minimum wage?- MSN Money

Minimum wage is for kids......

The old saying goes: "you should be making your age in wage."

You shouldn't be working at Burger King for 8.00 an hour when you're 45, You shouldn't be working at the gas station for 8.00 hour when you're 45, you shouldn't be working at the grocery store for 8.00 an hour when you're 45.

You shouldn't be working for minimum wage when you're 45...

If you're making minimum wage that means two things a) you're an idiot or b) you cant hold a job.

Yes.

This is Economics 101

Took econ 101, I think you missed some key classes. supply AND demand. They go together. If the people picking the tomatoes can now afford to buy them, they will sell more tomatoes, not less. Henry Ford discovered that when he instituted the first mw in our country and suddenly his workers could afford to buy his product and his sales and profits sky rocketed.

So tell us professor, what should the MW be?

Yes.

This is Economics 101

Whatever it takes for a person who won't work full time, who makes bad choices, and is physically unable to do menial work, to bring in enough money to maintain a nice household for himself and his 5 children, and retire at 60 with no worries.

About $30,000 an hour.

When I can't afford McDonald's, I stop going to McDonald's.

Pretty simple.

So raising the price a a big mac by a dime will make you stop going to McDonalds?

Back in the early 80's there was a push to get Pizza places to provide medical coverage for their employees. They said it would raise the price of a pizza by .50. I couldn't find ONE person who said that they wouldn't pay that extra .50.

Yes.

This is Economics 101

I think it should be regional.....

10 bucks goes a lot farther in Green Bay than it does in Chicago. The cost of living is different in different regions....

IMO that makes the most sense economically...

Whatever it takes for a person who won't work full time, who makes bad choices, and is physically unable to do menial work, to bring in enough money to maintain a nice household for himself and his 5 children, and retire at 60 with no worries.

About $30,000 an hour.

I think it should be enough for ONE person to pay for their own apartment, utilities, transportation and medical care. It would be nice if it would also cover a class at the local community college but I can see even asking for a roof over their heads is too much for this crowd.

10 bucks goes a lot farther in Green Bay than it does in Chicago. The cost of living is different in different regions....

I'll agree with that.

Yes.

This is Economics 101

That is a leftist mythology, spun by leftist tools such as yourself.

At the time, Ford workers bought less than 1% of their cars.

Yes.

This is Economics 101

You should check me out in the Zimmerman threads, there I'm a rw hack.

In this instance, you are regurging a Leftist meme, and you have been called on it.

Even regional doesn't work in a lot of states. The cost of living in most of rural New Mexico, for instance, is about half of what it costs to live in Santa Fe. Folks in small town eastern California live at a fraction of what it costs to live in San Francisco or Pasadena or Santa Cruz. People in western Virginia can live well on a fairly modest income while you need a whole lot of money to live in Arlington or Alexandria or other communities abutting D.C.

Last edited:

Still a leftist tool, as you're being labeled by leftists. They set you up and use you.

You want to see how successful the concept of eternally increasing a wage is, and how it affects the economy...here ya go:

Detroit.jpg

Detroit. Once arguably one of the most productive, vibrant cities in the US.

About $30,000 an hour.

I think it should be enough for ONE person to pay for their own apartment, utilities, transportation and medical care. It would be nice if it would also cover a class at the local community college but I can see even asking for a roof over their heads is too much for this crowd.

So roommates are a bad thing when you're starting off??? You have transportation, they're called FEET, and you can care for yourself.

A person can survive in a cave, on rice, and with a running stream next to them... but you are bringing QUALITY OF LIVING into the equation.... and quality is a measurement reliant on SUBJECTIVITY and PERCEPTION... and subjectivity is what got us in trouble with this government in the first place, IMHO

Forum List

Back