How do people survive on minimum wage?

That is because of the choices she's made in her life, and they are coming home to roost.

If she can't pay for her apartment, she needs to get a cheaper one or she needs to pick up #2 job. It's not the responsibility of the motel to make sure she has a nice apartment. She is an adult, she's been one for some time. I imagine at age 30 (and really, at age 20) she should have been looking down the road to this moment and making a PLAN that would allow her to continue to support herself.

Like maybe live in a $150/month studio apartment with utilities paid, so she could stash away $150 a month for her old age.

Or maybe see what sort of education she could obtain that would allow her to work at a higher paying job at some point.

She made some bad choices. And now she's hurting. That's the way it works. When she's 60 she'll be eligible for social security...right now she's got ten years to get through, and she'd better up her game or things will get worse before they get better.

Of course, when she SHOULD have upped her game was 30 years ago. But she didn't.

She got a degree, because of her turettes, she couldn't get a job in her field. You think it's a bad choice that she chose to work instead of go on disability???? You would be the first to complain that she could contribute to the workforce and should. You don't think a maid cleaning hotel rooms should be able to make a living? Why?

How was she suppose to stash away money when she didn't have any to stash? Work more hours? The hotel didn't have any. Find another job? She makes crafts and sells them to make extra money. She works her ass off and you think she's made bad decisions? You have lost your mind and you empathy. Think about it. Put yourself in her shoes.

A btw, there are no $150 studio apartments around here, nowhere. You can't even rent a room in a house for less than $500 a month.

I was talking about renting a $150 studio 30 years ago.

Anyway, this is pointless. You're pissed off that the government won't force her employer to pay her more because she spurns government assistance?

Seriously?

:cuckoo:

No, she's pissed off because United outsourced her job to India.

Lesson Learned: If you are doing a job in the 21st century that can be done by Elephant Worshiping people who speak broken English, and did not even have their own nation until 1950, then you probably need to improve your skill set.

The fact is that a insignificant number of American workers are getting paid minimum wage, 2.2%.

Minimum wage set's the pay for alot more than the people how work for that particular amount of money. It functions as a baseline for a great many jobs that pay an hourly wage. That is why increases in the minimum wage usually generate increased wages for people who already make more than the minimum wage, particularly people who are close to it.

The fact is that a insignificant number of American workers are getting paid minimum wage, 2.2%.

Minimum wage set's the pay for alot more than the people how work for that particular amount of money. It functions as a baseline for a great many jobs that pay an hourly wage. That is why increases in the minimum wage usually generate increased wages for people who already make more than the minimum wage, particularly people who are close to it.
Well, that's one effect.
The other is to eliminate a bunch of jobs. This is why you don't see many theater ushers in movie theaters these days.

Well, that's one effect.
The other is to eliminate a bunch of jobs.

A completely unfounded and bogus claim

This is why you don't see many theater ushers in movie theaters these days.

Actually, the reason you don't see them is business demand. Businesses don't just hire people because of how cheap the labor may be. They staff based on business demand. If there were a business demand for more labor, you'd see more employees.

And it's also why businesses have to lay off people.

Businesses lay people off for business demand. When there is not enough demand for labor, businesses are forced to make cuts.

Sad to see the exaggerated myths about the minimum wage still exist.

Raising the minimum wage is not going to force hordes of Americans into unemployment and it's not going to force businesses to suddenly look overseas.

Businesses lay people off for business demand. When there is not enough demand for labor, businesses are forced to make cuts.

You are specifically addressing businesses that provide labor.

I think you mean when there is no LABOR DEMAND, then businesses that sell labor services must lay off employees.

Sad to see the exaggerated myths about the minimum wage still exist.

Raising the minimum wage is not going to force hordes of Americans into unemployment and it's not going to force businesses to suddenly look overseas.

Correct: It will simply inflate prices.

She got a degree, because of her turettes, she couldn't get a job in her field. You think it's a bad choice that she chose to work instead of go on disability???? You would be the first to complain that she could contribute to the workforce and should. You don't think a maid cleaning hotel rooms should be able to make a living? Why?

How was she suppose to stash away money when she didn't have any to stash? Work more hours? The hotel didn't have any. Find another job? She makes crafts and sells them to make extra money. She works her ass off and you think she's made bad decisions? You have lost your mind and you empathy. Think about it. Put yourself in her shoes.

A btw, there are no $150 studio apartments around here, nowhere. You can't even rent a room in a house for less than $500 a month.

Anyway, this is pointless. You're pissed off that the government won't force her employer to pay her more because she spurns government assistance?

Seriously?

Lesson Learned: If you are doing a job in the 21st century that can be done by Elephant Worshiping people who speak broken English, and did not even have their own nation until 1950, then you probably need to improve your skill set.

Which is frustrating to a lot of us. But raising the minimum wage sure as heck won't help stop that sort of thing and in some industries will hasten it.

Last edited:

No I'm not. I'm talking about businesses who purchase labor, which is almost every business, unless it's a one man operation.

I think you mean when there is no LABOR DEMAND, then businesses that sell labor services must lay off employees.

No, businesses by labor in order to do the work that needs to be done, usually by way of hiring employees. When there is no business demand to do work, businesses will make cuts to avoid the cost of paying employees for nothing.

Seriously?

Which is frustrating to a lot of us. But raising the minimum wage sure as heck won't help stop that sort of thing and will almost certainly hasten it.

Well, I wouldn't expect staying ahead of the skill set of a people jibbering away unintelligably language who only recently emerged from the Bronze Age terribly frustrating.

Last edited:

No I'm not. I'm talking about businesses who purchase labor, which is almost every business, unless it's a one man operation.

No, businesses by labor in order to do the work that needs to be done, usually by way of hiring employees. When there is no business demand to do work, businesses will make cuts to avoid the cost of paying employees for nothing.

:eusa_hand:

Then you mean LABOR DEMAND.

:eusa_eh:

Is English your second language?

Are you Indian?

Actually, that would be the case if I were talking about businesses who sell labor. Call it whatever you want, it comes down to the same thing. Businesses hire and staff to meet the demands on the business. If you need work done, you pay people to do it. If you don't need the work done, you make cuts to avoid the expense.

Actually, that would be the case if I were talking about businesses who sell labor. Call it whatever you want, it comes down to the same thing. Businesses hire and staff to meet the demands on the business. If you need work done, you pay people to do it. If you don't need the work done, you make cuts to avoid the expense.

Actually, you could continue to call it Business Demand, and appear ignorant, or you could learn something, and call it what it is: Labor Demand.

The economy either has increasing or decreasing Labor Demand.

A business has an increasing or decreasing Labor Cost

Labor is known as a resource.

No need to thank me.

Actually, you could continue to call it Business Demand, and appear ignorant, or you could learn something, and call it what it is: Labor Demand.

The economy either has increasing or decreasing Labor Demand.

A business has an increasing or decreasing Labor Cost

Labor is known as a resource.

No need to thank me.

To be entirely accurate, "labor demand" refers to what an employer is willing to staff, based on things like retail value of its products, the actual cost of labor, and the overhead of other supplies. Meanwhile, I'm referring to the business demand that gives actual rise for work to be done, balanced against the need to minimize costs. For example, if I run a hotel and I know that on a given day I have the entire hotel booked with reservations, I will need more people doing work that day to provide my product to the full demands of the market for that day. If the next day, I have only enough reservations to sell 25% of the hotel, then that day business demand will necessitate that I reduce my labor for that day, because ll the work can be done without incurring the additional costs of a full staff.

You're welcome.

Last edited:

Again, the last two times the minimum wage was raised, there was no net loss of jobs.

Again, the last two times the minimum wage was raised, there was no net loss of jobs.

Link? And how did the people near the min wage do? Prob now min wage, YaY

Get rid of federally mandated minimum wage. In my opinion, the government has no business being in the business of controlling the market like that. The federal government is not your mom or dad.

Forum List

Back