How do you love American? and How much do you love America?

frigidweirdo

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2014
So, there's lots of talk about patriotism.

Patriotism being the love of one's country.

But how do you love your country?

Do you have to love 100% of things in your country to be patriotic?

So, a patriot would have to love the gangs, the inner city cesspits, the murders. A patriot would have to love the left wingers, the Communists, Bernie Sanders.

Or is loving your country loving a percentage of the country? And what percent of the country do you have to love?

So, of those people who could vote, 45.3% of the people didn't vote. Do you love the majority of people who have the vote?

Do you love the 26.3% of people who voted for Hillary?

That's 71.6% of the people. Trump got 25.2% of the potential votes, so, to love your country do you only have to love 25% of it for it to be considered "love"?

What percentage would be required for someone to declare their love of a country?

I think you are confusing love of country, which is an abstract concept, with love of individual aspects of the country. IMO a Patriot is someone who love and defend the country either literally as our Veterans do, or citizens who live by America's laws, work hard, defend the Constitution and pursue happiness whatever that means to them. If you do that, then IMO you are a Patriot.

Patriotism in the US has been turned into McPatriotism. Just as the word 'hero' has. If you live on a street and the guy at the end of the block has a house that is valued at twice the level as the other houses on the block AND he walks by your house everyday and tells you "I have the best house on the block, my house is best, go have a look at my house the best on the block, you want to see the best house on this block go and look at mine, look how great it is you can see it from here, it's the greatest house in the neighborhood and if you say ANYTHING bad about my house you are just a great house hater and you don't have pride in your block or your neighborhood......"

It isn't the voice of someone confident in who they are, it is instead the voice of someone that is terribly insecure.

Patriotism = love of country.

I'll accept that definition, even though I do find it a bit simplistic and confining.

So, you ask how much do I love my country?

Perhaps you remember the movie Jerry McGuire. In it, Dorothy says (about Jerry), " I love him. I love him, and I don't care what you think. I love him for the man he wants to be, and I love him for the man he almost is. I love him."

I love my country as much as Dorothy loves Jerry. I love it for what it is - and I love it for what it can be. My country, like my wife, isn't perfect. I overlook her faults (she snores) because I so enjoy her strengths, her contributions, her warmth, her good intentions, and makes damn fine beef stew. She ain't perfect - but she is two things. 1) She is the woman who brings out the best in me, and 2) she is mine.

So it is with my country. I love it despite its faults. I love it for all its strengths, its goals, its vision, and its good intentions. I am clear-eyed and honest about its faults. I recognize the need to help it grow to be all it can be. I recognize that my country represents the best of man's societal evolution to date, and offers the best chance to be all it can be. I recognize that it is not yet perfect, but I dearly believe it is mankind's only hope in the pursuit of that perfection.

I have been fortunate in my life. I spent twenty years in the Air Force, moved to a second career that allowed me to travel extensively, retired early, and have enjoyed traveling to see the world. My count right now is 47 states visited (New England, here I come!), and 21 countries. I've seen the best they have to offer - and I've seen the worst.

Frankly, the best out there doesn't hold a candle to what we have in the US. I speak not of things, of stuff, of big buildings, fancy airports or great highways. I speak of freedom of movement, of gracious people, of beautiful natural wonders, of diversity of view and people and opportunity, and of hope. This is the only country in the world in which who you are, and what you are, and where you are, does not stop you from being who you want to be, what you want to be, and where you want to be.

I can already hear the catcalls and the naysayers. For them, I ask this question in return. Where else do you have the opportunities you have here? Where else do you have a chance to grow? I recognize what you want. You can get it here. You just have to want it more than others don't want you to have it. You just have to be willing to work harder than those who don't want you to have it are willing to work. There are too many examples of success that put the lie to claims of woe. Yes, it is harder for some than others. Yes, there are those who will try to stop you. Yes, it is frustrating. But, none of that means that it can't be done. The choice is simple - you can do it, or you can complain about why you couldn't do it. Each of us picks our own path.

I'll accept that definition, even though I do find it a bit simplistic and confining.

Perhaps you remember the movie Jerry McGuire. In it, Dorothy says (about Jerry), " I love him. I love him, and I don't care what you think. I love him for the man he wants to be, and I love him for the man he almost is. I love him."

I love my country as much as Dorothy loves Jerry. I love it for what it is - and I love it for what it can be. My country, like my wife, isn't perfect. I overlook her faults (she snores) because I so enjoy her strengths, her contributions, her warmth, her good intentions, and makes damn fine beef stew. She ain't perfect - but she is two things. 1) She is the woman who brings out the best in me, and 2) she is mine.

So it is with my country. I love it despite its faults. I love it for all its strengths, its goals, its vision, and its good intentions. I am clear-eyed and honest about its faults. I recognize the need to help it grow to be all it can be. I recognize that my country represents the best of man's societal evolution to date, and offers the best chance to be all it can be. I recognize that it is not yet perfect, but I dearly believe it is mankind's only hope in the pursuit of that perfection.

I have been fortunate in my life. I spent twenty years in the Air Force, moved to a second career that allowed me to travel extensively, retired early, and have enjoyed traveling to see the world. My count right now is 47 states visited (New England, here I come!), and 21 countries. I've seen the best they have to offer - and I've seen the worst.

Frankly, the best out there doesn't hold a candle to what we have in the US. I speak not of things, of stuff, of big buildings, fancy airports or great highways. I speak of freedom of movement, of gracious people, of beautiful natural wonders, of diversity of view and people and opportunity, and of hope. This is the only country in the world in which who you are, and what you are, and where you are, does not stop you from being who you want to be, what you want to be, and where you want to be.

I can already hear the catcalls and the naysayers. For them, I ask this question in return. Where else do you have the opportunities you have here? Where else do you have a chance to grow? I recognize what you want. You can get it here. You just have to want it more than others don't want you to have it. You just have to be willing to work harder than those who don't want you to have it are willing to work. There are too many examples of success that put the lie to claims of woe. Yes, it is harder for some than others. Yes, there are those who will try to stop you. Yes, it is frustrating. But, none of that means that it can't be done. The choice is simple - you can do it, or you can complain about why you couldn't do it. Each of us picks our own path.
thank you....

I feel the same way....we moved a lot too, my dad was in the Air Force for 22 years, we were stationed overseas a lot, and even as a child, I could see and knew, from the bottom of my heart,

''There's no place like home!''

We live in the best country in the world, even with all of it's short comings over the years...!

So let me ask you...

Is it an insult when people say they want to

Make America great AGAIN?

AS IF we are not great and the greatest right now?

thank you....

I feel the same way....we moved a lot too, my dad was in the Air Force for 22 years, we were stationed overseas a lot, and even as a child, I could see and knew, from the bottom of my heart,

We live in the best country in the world, even with all of it's short comings over the years...!

So let me ask you...

MAGA refers to repairing the damage Obama inflicted on this country. It's not denying it's inherent greatness. Note it uses the word "again" so that implies its greatness.

I hate the government also. With rare exception they are all Swamp Rats. I dislike the fact that savages in ghettos are given preferential treatment and treated like retards instead of the violent criminals they are, resulting in many areas that are unsafe for civilized people.

I'm a naturalized citizen, love this country. I disagree with lot of things in it, and love lot of things about it. As much as I wish the best for this country, I think this is the most divided I've seen it.
Also patriotism is shoved down people's throats too much to a racist point....i call myself internationalist and if possible I would love to see borderless earth as it created for man kind and creature to move free.

thank you....

So let me ask you...

Does MAGA bother me?

No. In fact, I endorse it. It is my opinion (and we all know about opinions) that, over the past 40 years, we have strayed from the ideals that define America, that we have turned inward, rather than reaching outward, that we have used the promise of America, not to make America better, but rather to feather our own nest.

The tools have always been there. We simply chose not to use them.

We spend all our time focusing on the negative, and ignoring the positive. It's kinda like divorcing your wife because she doesn't fold your underwear the way you like.

We forget all the good. We pick at all the bad. Imagine, if you will, a small cut on your arm. If you focus on the cut, pick at it, scrape at it, eventually, it will become infected, and you will lose the arm. If we, instead, had given the sore the appropriate level of treatment, it would have healed, the arm would have been saved, and the body would have been healthier than before.

Last edited:
I'm a naturalized citizen, love this country. I disagree with lot of things in it, and love lot of things about it. As much as I wish the best for this country, I think this is the most divided I've seen it.
Also patriotism is shoved down people's throats too much to a racist point....i call myself internationalist and if possible I would love to see borderless earth as it created for man kind and creature to move free.
By definition, if you have no borders, you have no country.

If your goal is to have all the peoples of the world enjoy the benefits and advantages shared by the American people, then I would suggest that America is the one, great chance to do that. You can't reach a goal - any goal - without having that goal defined. Maybe pointing others to the "... shining city on the hill ... " is where you should focus your efforts.

`
`

I love my country but detest our government.
The operative word is "our" .... you created this government - either thru action or inaction. If you don't like it, fix it. This government is a direct result of the people of this country. We are complacent, self centered, and not prone to action. We were - in a word - uninvolved.

That has to change if we wish to reap the benefits of America.

It's not about love, it's about respect. Respect for the rule of law, respect for the Flag and respect for traditional values. I understand that the f'ball players have a 1st Amendment right to disrespect the Country but I have a 1st Amendment right to disrespect them.

The operative word is "our" .... you created this government - either thru action or inaction. If you don't like it, fix it. This government is a direct result of the people of this country. We are complacent, self centered, and not prone to action. We were - in a word - uninvolved.That has to change if we wish to reap the benefits of America.
`
`

I didn't create this government. I haven't been sitting on my butt either, trying to change it. It doesn't matter what anyone says, it matters what they do. It only takes a few pebbles to start an avalanche.

Forum List

Back