How does CEO pay go Through the Roof without price increases in products?

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
I was having a discussion in another thread where the Repubs (usually) would say you cant pay more than what the current Minimum is because product prices would increase.

According to some estimates CEO pay has increased 800% since the 70's. Where is the $34 Big Mac?

How can we increase CEO pay so much and never see an huge increase? How can CEO's get paid so much and no one worries about product price increases?

Now, why does that all change when you talk about Employees pay? Suddenly if you give employees more money explosions, death and famine will ensue?

I was having a discussion in another thread where the Repubs (usually) would say you cant pay more than what the current Minimum is because product prices would increase.

According to some estimates CEO pay has increased 800% since the 70's. Where is the $34 Big Mac?

How can we increase CEO pay so much and never see an huge increase? How can CEO's get paid so much and no one worries about product price increases?

Now, why does that all change when you talk about Employees pay? Suddenly if you give employees more money explosions, death and famine will ensue?

Considering increasing everyone's wages to $15 an hour who currently makes below that would cost Mcdonalds alone $8 billion, one can see the scaling issue, if one wasnt blinded by thier own political views.

So the CEO makes $13 million per.

The increase would cost $8 billion per.

I wonder why the first doesnt really effect costs but the 2nd does.....

Lets spin it the other way. Obama ended bushes tax cut for everyone, also obamacare tax will effect everyone. So tell in your world why is it okay for goverment to take more from workers and they have to do without. The goverment takes our money and a ceo believe or not, earns it. If he didn't the stock holders wouldn't approve his salary.

I'm not talking about a specific number. ANY increase is said to increase prices but we see CEO pay going up 800% hasn't affected anything.

Lets spin it the other way. Obama ended bushes tax cut for everyone, also obamacare tax will effect everyone. So tell in your world why is it okay for goverment to take more from workers and they have to do without. The goverment takes our money and a ceo believe or not, earns it. If he didn't the stock holders wouldn't approve his salary.

The Bush tax cuts were not ended for everyone. Just the top one percent.

CEO pay comes from stock market gains not the sales in products.

Sales in products goes to the employees.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about a specific number. ANY increase is said to increase prices but we see CEO pay going up 800% hasn't affected anything.

Just because prices haven't gone up doesn't mean they haven't sold more.

If you don't talk about a specifc #, then you don't have much to talk about.

Is it because once you look at the details your supposed snark point evaporates away?

Closed Caption, do you take into consideration that since the 1970's, countless companies have merged (to form supercompanies), and have expanded globally resulting in LESS CEOS, resulting in MORE PAY per CEO?

If there are four food companies in 1970 with four CEOs and $100 (total in the market's pot) to pay the CEOs, than each CEO gets $25. However in 2013, when those companies merge, the single CEO now makes $100.

Last edited:
Considering increasing everyone's wages to $15 an hour who currently makes below that would cost Mcdonalds alone $8 billion

Link?

The Wage Hike to $15 Would Cost McDonald?s $8 Billion - MarketWatch

From the link:
McDonald’s Corp. > Number of employees: 859,978 > Total wage expense at current pay level: $12.27 billion > Total wage expense at $15 an hour: $20.59 billion > Annual wage cost increase: $8.13 billion

How Many Big Macs Are Sold Each Day? - Ask.com
It is estimated that about 2.5 million Big Macs are sold each day around the world. That adds up to about 900 million per year.

That's just Big Macs. Doesn't include the Coke and fries or cheeseburgers or chicken nuggets and the other dozens of menu items.

McDonald's serves an average 6,480,000 hamburgers every day. This translates to 23,652,000,000 hamburgers per year. 75 McDonald's hamburgers are sold every second.

http://www.ask.com/question/how-many-hamburgers-does-mcdonalds-sell-each-year

The Real Change In The Cost Of A Big Mac If McDonald's Workers Were Paid $15 An Hour: Nothing - Forbes

Last edited:

how many Mickey D's were there back in the 70's versus now? How many more do they have to make certain are successful?
1970's 2000, today over 34,000 all over the world.

Last edited:

Is it because once you look at the details your supposed snark point evaporates away?

Because then we'll discuss $10, $11, 11.50, 12.35, 12.75 for infinity. While I'm interested in how much each increase will cost I don't want to have the whole discussion testing every dollar amount

From the link:

It is estimated that about 2.5 million Big Macs are sold each day around the world. That adds up to about 900 million per year.

That's just Big Macs. Doesn't include the Coke and fries or cheeseburgers or chicken nuggets and the other dozens of menu items.

McDonald's serves an average 6,480,000 hamburgers every day. This translates to 23,652,000,000 hamburgers per year. 75 McDonald's hamburgers are sold every second.

How Many Hamburgers Does McDonalds Sell Each Year? - Ask.com

The Real Change In The Cost Of A Big Mac If McDonald's Workers Were Paid $15 An Hour: Nothing - Forbes

You are adding layers of calculation to obscure the simple fact that Mcdonalds has to come up with another $8 billion in income to cover the additional costs of labor. So where does that money come from?

Because then we'll discuss $10, $11, 11.50, 12.35, 12.75 for infinity. While I'm interested in how much each increase will cost I don't want to have the whole discussion testing every dollar amount

Because it doesnt give you the answer you want, got it.

Still see you are the same hack you were from last thread.

From the link:

How Many Hamburgers Does McDonalds Sell Each Year? - Ask.com

You are adding layers of calculation to obscure the simple fact that Mcdonalds has to come up with another $8 billion in income to cover the additional costs of labor. So where does that money come from?

Now layers of calculation is bad?

How?

You notice all the massive layoffs domestically and offshoring?

It's called "synergy".

Now layers of calculation is bad?

Yes, its a distraction. The hard real life numbers are it costs X amount of money to run a mcdonalds right now. X labor costs, Y material costs, Z infrastructure costs. You make A amount of money per day (all average) and your surplus over your costs is your daily profit. "B"

Now take cost "X" (labor) and slightly less than double it. Keeping all other cost #'s the same, and your income the same, where does the additional money come from?

Easy one.. Because the increase in CEO benefits is LARGELY company EQUITY, not salary that comes from cash flow. A CEO who joins a company should be treated as "an owner" of that company. And to make him a substantial owner, equity is transferred.. No skin off of either the hamburger customers or the other employees salaries.

A person that oversees a group of 20 companies, like the Caterpillar CEO, is NOT overpaid in SALARY.. Basketball players make bigger contracts. It's only when the stock and other benefits are figured in..

Forum List

Back