How I Stopped Smoking

Viktor

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2013
Southern California
I used to smoke 3 packs a day. My VA doctor told me to stop to help my kidney disease. I tried patches and nicotine gum and nothing worked. How did I stop? One day I sat down and calculated how much money it cost me to smoke for a month. The total was over $600 a month. That stopped me.

I used to smoke 3 packs a day. My VA doctor told me to stop to help my kidney disease. I tried patches and nicotine gum and nothing worked. How did I stop? One day I sat down and calculated how much money it cost me to smoke for a month. The total was over $600 a month. That stopped me.
Put them down and don't pick them up again. Simple--worked for me 36 years ago.

It depends on a persons body chemistry. I started smoking in Sept 1951 and I used to smoke 2-3 packs a day but have been at one pack a day for about 10 years. I went to the VA smoking clinic and at completion was the only person in the class with a zero count of bad stuff in my lungs. I stopped for exactly 6 months and had no difference in smell, taste or stamina, so I started again.

I don't advocate for people to smoke but like I said, it depends on the person, their health or lack of it.

It depends on a persons body chemistry. I started smoking in Sept 1951 and I used to smoke 2-3 packs a day but have been at one pack a day for about 10 years. I went to the VA smoking clinic and at completion was the only person in the class with a zero count of bad stuff in my lungs. I stopped for exactly 6 months and had no difference in smell, taste or stamina, so I started again.

I don't advocate for people to smoke but like I said, it depends on the person, their health or lack of it.
Good genes. Don't let anyone change them.

I never tried to calculate the cost but in 71 tears at 2 packs avg. a day, I could probably have bought Pelosi's yacht! (or at least her fridge full of ice cream)

My grandmother smoked her entire life--started out on Luckys until the doc told her they were bad for her so she went to Kools. She finally died at 94.

I used to be a 1 to 2 pack a day smoker, but quit when my LT made me a PRT coordinator. About a week after he did that, he called me into his office and told me if I wanted to keep the billet, I had to quit smoking, so I did.

Remained smoke free for a few years until my Grandmother died, and started back up because of that. Probably one of the worst things I ever did to myself.

Then, continued to smoke 1 to 1 1/2 packs/day until I did what Viktor did. Saw how much it was costing me per month and thought of all the cool stuff I could do if I didn't smoke.

Haven't smoked since.

BTW.................for all of you smokers who are reading this thread, several things to know. One, part of the reason it's hard to quit is that you don't know what to do with your hands (gesturing with a cigarette is very common) as well as it's soothing to have something to chew on. My recommendation? Straws or toothpicks (especially the flavored kind) help a great deal getting over the oral fixation.

And................another thing to remember.................your body will flush out all of the nicotine from your system in 5 to 7 days. If you smoke AFTER your body has flushed it out, it's no longer able to be blamed on a physical craving, it's a mental one. Physical cravings for nicotine only last a week, after that, it's all mental, and that is one place where the straws and toothpicks can be remarkably helpful.

If you make it 2 weeks without smoking, then you have successfully kicked the habit, and the only reason a person would start smoking again after that is because it is a CONSCIOUS choice. Not mental, not physical, but being stupid in what you choose. I was stupid after my Grandmother died when I started smoking again after a few years. I've made a pact with myself to (try) to not be that stupid ever again.

I decided when I turned 30 that I would replace a bad habit with a good one, and I took up running. I started small, and worked my way up in distance and time. It also made quitting easy.

Every other method I tried I would end up failing at, and go back to smoking eventually. But as long as I kept running, I knew I wouldn't go back. And I never did.

That's amazing. You're probably an outlier, though, and not at all typical. Some people can smoke their entire life and never get cancer or COPD.

I used to smoke 3 packs a day. One day I sat down and calculated how much money it cost me to smoke for a month. The total was over $600 a month. That stopped me.

And thank God for that. It's a wonder you still have a lung left.

Last time I smoked a cigarette, smoking three packs a day would have only come to about $30 a month.

At $7,200 a year, you smoked away a free vacation every year!

I would have quit years ago if it was a question of cost. Then I started making my own, and rather than spend $10.00 a pack it costs me $7.00 a carton.

I did hear one method of quitting that was unique. The quitter stocked up on sleeping pills and slept for 4 days straight, only staying awake long enough to grab a quick bite to eat and answer nature's calls. After 4 days the desire to smoke was gone.

When I started vaping I stopped smoking cigarrettes, I smoked a lot all my life since I was 12 or 13 years old, and I loved it, along with all my friends in High School.....we all smoked....that's what we did

Vaping saved me...no nicotine now, just nice flavors, like vanilla.:04:

When I started vaping I stopped smoking cigarrettes, I smoked a lot all my life since I was 12 or 13 years old, and I loved it, along with all my friends in High School.....we all smoked....that's what we did

Vaping saved me...no nicotine now, just nice flavors, like vanilla.:04:

I don't vape but I did switch to menthol cigs for a while. They were like smoking a cough drop.
Seriously, I've been in about 8 Asian countries and the majority of smokers are on Salem cigs. They have a lot of lung problems and recently I read a report from a medical journal that smoking menthol cigs causes lung tissue to crystalize.

Smoking damage may still remain after quitting, for example aneurysms, which can burst, quickly ending life. It is likely due to the chronic amounts of cyanide in tobacco smoke that eventually thins the extracellular matrix of the artery wall, which in most cases can be repaired. Just how well natural repair happens without surgery is currently a question for investigation. Ultrasound is the definitive test to determine such damage.

Extreme physical exertion can rupture the aneurysm.

And................another thing to remember.................your body will flush out all of the nicotine from your system in 5 to 7 days. If you smoke AFTER your body has flushed it out, it's no longer able to be blamed on a physical craving, it's a mental one.
Cigarettes smoke contains dozens of different toxins that can remain in your body forever and cause mischief.

Forum List

Back