How Is Inflation Affecting You?

We may go up on the bikes this spring/summer, but I won't be able to bring much camera gear with me, so that's a downside for me...
Cyclist here [well, before we got a dog that will suck all energy out of the room]
When I got my first MX-5, I did mention that issue to my wife prior to purchasing it. Her answer, with a huge smile, "You can take my SUV and I will take Mia [yes, she gave it a name before we left the car lot] on those days that you ride with the group!" I have been accused of Mia hogging over the years.
We did take it on a 2,000 mile road trip this summer. Wife even says that the new one has more leg room but yes, much, much less storage than even the old MX-5.
Short segment of that trip [actually record every mile that I drive]

Speak for yourself:
happiness2021.jpg

At least we're in the top 20.
Obviously happiness is dependent on more than just economics.

Everything is politics to you huh?

Sadly it's not. But even that you get backwards consistently

It has nothing to do with politics. When you see a problem, you point to the problem. Dementia is the problem and has been the past year.

Im going to max out my credit card to get my roof replaced. Last year I got a quote to start it this spring and the roofer called me and the price is 3,800 more now over my budget I'd been saving to meet.

Between inflation and shortages I got screwed on a new car when I needed to replace mine. Higher costs, no dealerships in 100 miles had rebates or guaranteed trade values or anything. I paid full price for my Corolla.

I spend on average 50 dollars more per shopping trip each week to restock what I use every week for dinner and lunch.

I eat out less often, and pretty much stopped getting fast food on occasion because I am over 10 bucks just for a sandwich and fries.

I spend more on gas for my car.

My electric bill increased about 10% and my gas for my furnace went up about 15%.

I've got to stop buying odds and ends or snacks I enjoy to counteract the increased cost because I am not making more money. I make like 30 bucks an hour and it's not bad but when all the non skilled people were demanding raises I got none because I made decent money to begin with so my wages didn't increase along with inflation and I have a mortgage to pay and car payments that are my priorities in paying off soon as I can.

That was Idiot Republicans Bush2 allowing houses to be bought with no income & no money down!
I will just chalk that up to your ignorance--Those policies came under Clinton. WTF do you think is different from no money down to spending 60% of your income on housing. The standard in the past has been 25% and it was a stretch when they moved it to 30%. You really should STFU when you don't know what you are talking about.

Im going to max out my credit card to get my roof replaced.
This is really not a good idea. Any savings that you realize by getting it done now will be eaten up with the interest. If you pay it off the following month, that is a viable hedge, but CC interest is the really high. If they offer 12 months no interest--it could work, but you have to make sure you are not late on any payments and you have it paid off in the 12 months or they will come back and charge you the entire accrued interest--they know that many people will forget or slip and they are betting on it. Good luck. FJB.

This is really not a good idea. Any savings that you realize by getting it done now will be eaten up with the interest. If you pay it off the following month, that is a viable hedge, but CC interest is the really high. If they offer 12 months no interest--it could work, but you have to make sure you are not late on any payments and you have it paid off in the 12 months or they will come back and charge you the entire accrued interest--they know that many people will forget or slip and they are betting on it. Good luck. FJB.

I just originally wasn't going to go into too much but I'm thinking I'll get a Wells Fargo account as they give me 0 interest for 12 months and using it to pay the difference I'm going to owe on a new roof. Unless my credit card has some kind of home improvement loan with 0% interest but I hadn't looked too close into yet.

I just hate getting another credit card. Ive only had 1 since like 1995 when I got my first one. I never liked spreading my money out too much, but in this situation I'm forced to.

Last summer the transmission went on one of my tenants cars. I told her not to buy American when she purchased it but she didn't listen. She loved the car and it only had low 60,000 miles on it so she went to get the transmission repaired and willing to part with the few thousand bucks it would take to take care of her problem. That was until the mechanic told her the car would be in the shop for several months because of a part they needed that was back ordered that long.

She was borrowing her mothers van but couldn't do that for several months, so she had no choice but to get rid of it at a huge discount to buy another used vehicle. Let's go Brandon.
I know the feeling. I have an in house diesel mechanic for maintenance, brakes, air lines, electrical and external engine and drive train problems...but I also have a shop for computer and internal engine repair. I took it to the shop and there were trucks everywhere. I said to the owner "looks like you're busier than a one legged man at an ass kickin' convention".

Nope...70% of them were waiting on parts.

He said it has gotten so bad he has to send vin numbers of the trucks he needs parts for to keep folks from stocking up on parts they don't need immediately. I had to run a 60 Series Detroit for four weeks with the fan running continuously while waiting on a fan clutch. Luckily I have the type that defaults to on when it breaks. Folks with the other type are in for four weeks of equipment down. 😬

Speaking for one, I'm good man, but for measuring sticks, I rec'd a 2% raise on 7% inflation. Sure my stocks gained in 2021, however those are down for 2022.

Let's go Brandon

In November 2021, The Salvation Army released a guidance pamphlet titled "Let's Talk About Racism" which encouraged its members to "lament, repent and apologize for biases or racist ideologies held and actions committed."[211] This was interpreted by critics as an endorsement of critical race theory, during a time of broader public controversy around CRT in the United States.[212] In response, The Salvation Army called the accusations "sensationalist" and "simply not true", and that they had never told people to "apologize for the color of their skin" or "abandoned its Biblical beliefs".[213] After the continued backlash they retracted the document and again stated that they do not endorse any ideology or belief system other than Christianity and reject the idea that "America is an inherently racist society".[214] The anti-CRT group Color Us United promised to "continue its battle" with The Salvation Army despite these statements.[215]

ideologies held and actions committed.

So if you aren't a racist they are not talking about you

The problem, moron, is there are very few non whites who donate to the Salvation Army.

DUURRRRR

Lucky I live Hawaii... 🇺🇲

My grocery bill has definitely gone up. Part of that is, no doubt, inflation. But I'm also buying differently.

I'll turn 60 this year and figure I should probably be taking better care of myself. In the past I would always have a couple of frozen pizzas in the freezer and a box or two of Chips Ahoy in the cupboard. I haven't bought a frozen pizza in two months, nor cookies, nor any of that fun, unhealthy shit I used to like. I can't remember the last time I drank a Coke. I'm no longer buying for a week or two (with the exception of eggs). I'm buying more fresh fruit and vegetables now. Freshly cut and packaged chicken and beef are staples of my grocery list.

Eating healthier isn't cheap, but it wasn't always this expensive...
I hear this a lot and it confuses me.

Eating healthy is, for me at least, WAY cheaper than eating unhealthy. Granted, I have never been a big fan of most frozen garbage but fast food, snacks and sugary garbage you find in the grocery store is ALWAYS more expensive than a head of broccoli.

Fresh meat is pricy, yes, but no more so than the garbage equivalents you might find in a fast food menu. I can cook a reasonable and fairly healthy mean for my family of 4 under 15 bucks for dinner and under 5 for breakfast.

I cannot do that with unhealthy foods minus a frozen pizza possibly.

ALWAYS more expensive than a head of broccoli.
Where we are it is not uncommon to pay $1.28/lb for iceberg lettuce. That's right PER POUND not the head and this isn't organic lettuce. They also sell celery by the pound. First place I've ever lived where these two items were per pound. Typical head weighs about 2 lbs. Seventy miles away at Walmart that price is per head.

Forum List

Back