How long did it take Joseph Smith to translate the Book of Mormon?

The testimony of the witnesses of the gold plates:

The Testimony of Three Witnesses

Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That we, through the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, have seen the plates which contain this record, which is a record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites, their brethren, and also of the people of Jared, who came from the tower of which hath been spoken. And we also know that they have been translated by the gift and power of God, for his voice hath declared it unto us; wherefore we know of a surety that the work is true. And we also testify that we have seen the engravings which are upon the plates; and they have been shown unto us by the power of God, and not of man. And we declare with words of soberness, that an angel of God came down from heaven, and he brought and laid before our eyes, that we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon; and we know that it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, that we beheld and bear record that these things are true. And it is marvelous in our eyes. Nevertheless, the voice of the Lord commanded us that we should bear record of it; wherefore, to be obedient unto the commandments of God, we bear testimony of these things. And we know that if we are faithful in Christ, we shall rid our garments of the blood of all men, and be found spotless before the judgment-seat of Christ, and shall dwell with him eternally in the heavens. And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.

Oliver Cowdery

David Whitmer

Martin Harris

The Testimony of Eight Witnesses

Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That Joseph Smith, Jun., the translator of this work, has shown unto us the plates of which hath been spoken, which have the appearance of gold; and as many of the leaves as the said Smith has translated we did handle with our hands; and we also saw the engravings thereon, all of which has the appearance of ancient work, and of curious workmanship. And this we bear record with words of soberness, that the said Smith has shown unto us, for we have seen and hefted, and know of a surety that the said Smith has got the plates of which we have spoken. And we give our names unto the world, to witness unto the world that which we have seen. And we lie not, God bearing witness of it.

Christian Whitmer

Jacob Whitmer

Peter Whitmer, Jun.

John Whitmer

Hiram Page

Joseph Smith, Sen.

Hyrum Smith

Samuel H. Smith
Okay, that's interesting. But where did the plates go after they were handled and witnessed by these people?
There were no golden plates. Mr Smith made the whole thing up from whole cloth. He is surely burning in Hell right now.
If you don't like what the Book of Mormon sez, why don't you go right your own.
Unlike Smith, I'm not an apostate. The Bible is good enough for me. The book of mormon contradicts Scripture. That's all I need to know. It is a false religion, inspired by the father of lies. Anyone who follows its teachings is going to hell. Go to hell. Go directly to hell. Do not become a god, do not collect 200 wives on the way there.

The testimony of the witnesses of the gold plates:

The Testimony of Three Witnesses

Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That we, through the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, have seen the plates which contain this record, which is a record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites, their brethren, and also of the people of Jared, who came from the tower of which hath been spoken. And we also know that they have been translated by the gift and power of God, for his voice hath declared it unto us; wherefore we know of a surety that the work is true. And we also testify that we have seen the engravings which are upon the plates; and they have been shown unto us by the power of God, and not of man. And we declare with words of soberness, that an angel of God came down from heaven, and he brought and laid before our eyes, that we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon; and we know that it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, that we beheld and bear record that these things are true. And it is marvelous in our eyes. Nevertheless, the voice of the Lord commanded us that we should bear record of it; wherefore, to be obedient unto the commandments of God, we bear testimony of these things. And we know that if we are faithful in Christ, we shall rid our garments of the blood of all men, and be found spotless before the judgment-seat of Christ, and shall dwell with him eternally in the heavens. And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.

Oliver Cowdery

David Whitmer

Martin Harris

The Testimony of Eight Witnesses

Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That Joseph Smith, Jun., the translator of this work, has shown unto us the plates of which hath been spoken, which have the appearance of gold; and as many of the leaves as the said Smith has translated we did handle with our hands; and we also saw the engravings thereon, all of which has the appearance of ancient work, and of curious workmanship. And this we bear record with words of soberness, that the said Smith has shown unto us, for we have seen and hefted, and know of a surety that the said Smith has got the plates of which we have spoken. And we give our names unto the world, to witness unto the world that which we have seen. And we lie not, God bearing witness of it.

Christian Whitmer

Jacob Whitmer

Peter Whitmer, Jun.

John Whitmer

Hiram Page

Joseph Smith, Sen.

Hyrum Smith

Samuel H. Smith
Okay, that's interesting. But where did the plates go after they were handled and witnessed by these people?
There were no golden plates. Mr Smith made the whole thing up from whole cloth. He is surely burning in Hell right now.
If you don't like what the Book of Mormon sez, why don't you go right your own.
Unlike Smith, I'm not an apostate. The Bible is good enough for me. The book of mormon contradicts Scripture. That's all I need to know. It is a false religion, inspired by the father of lies. Anyone who follows its teachings is going to hell. Go to hell. Go directly to hell. Do not become a god, do not collect 200 wives on the way there.
Yes, the book of Mormon is a lie. Likewise, the so called "everlasting covenant" of polygamy. It can't be an everlasting covenant if they no longer practice it. Mormonism is a lie.

You are apostate, RWNJ, but I'd like to keep things in secular terms. You're an antichristian shithead. You lie about what the Bible teaches and you support the enemies of Christianity, Jews.

RWNJ, shithead, you contradict scripture. Go to Hell. Go directly to Hell. You know not the day or the hour the lord will come and snatch you away and cut you to pieces and put you with the hypocrites. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Yes, the book of Mormon is a lie. Likewise, the so called "everlasting covenant" of polygamy. It can't be an everlasting covenant if they no longer practice it. Mormonism is a lie.

We don't have a doctrine called the everlasting covenant of polygamy. We have one called the everlasting covenant of marriage. We marry and it is practice often. It you don't even have a clear understanding of what we believe, how could you know if it is a lie?

Show me a quote from the Book of Mormon that contradicts Scripture. Show me from the Bible what verse it contradicts.

We don't have a doctrine called the everlasting covenant of polygamy. We have one called the everlasting covenant of marriage. We marry and it is practice often. It you don't even have a clear understanding of what we believe, how could you know if it is a lie?
You're the one here that doesn't understand your own religion.
Is the "new and everlasting covenant" polygamy or a temple marriage?

Show me a quote from the Book of Mormon that contradicts Scripture. Show me from the Bible what verse it contradicts.
Mormonism teaches that Jesus and Satan were brothers. That's not in the Bible Scriptures.

Mormonism teaches that Jesus and Satan were brothers. That's not in the Bible Scriptures.

Where does it say that in the Book of Mormon?

Sometimes, the very best lie of all is a partial truth, intentionally taken out of context and made to suggest something other than what it really means. The claim that we teach that Jesus and Satan are brothers is a perfect example. No, that's not what we teach, though I'll admit that it is a rational extrapolation from what we really do teach.

The genuine teaching is this: We are all, in a literal sense, the children of God, and as such, we are all brothers and sisters. This includes Jesus, and yes, it also includes Satan. The intent in saying that we teach that Jesus and Satan are brothers is to suggest that Satan shares some kinship, some closeness to Jesus, that we do not. That is what you mean people to think we believe, when you say that we teach that Jesus and Satan are brothers. When our teaching is told completely, in proper context, it becomes clear, however, that it does not mean that at all. Satan is no closer to Jesus than we are; in fact, due to his rebellion and his having subsequently been cast out, he is farther from Jesus than the very worst of us mortals.

You cites this in response to a challenge to show where the Book of Mormon contradicts the Bible. It fails to meet this challenge on two fronts…

1. This teaching is not found in the Book of Mormon. The principles on which it is based are found in other scriptures.

2. There is nothing in the Bible that contradicts this teaching.

Where does it say that in the Book of Mormon?

Sometimes, the very best lie of all is a partial truth, intentionally taken out of context and made to suggest something other than what it really means. The claim that we teach that Jesus and Satan are brothers is a perfect example. No, that's not what we teach, though I'll admit that it is a rational extrapolation from what we really do teach.

The genuine teaching is this: We are all, in a literal sense, the children of God, and as such, we are all brothers and sisters. This includes Jesus, and yes, it also includes Satan. The intent in saying that we teach that Jesus and Satan are brothers is to suggest that Satan shares some kinship, some closeness to Jesus, that we do not. That is what you mean people to think we believe, when you say that we teach that Jesus and Satan are brothers. When our teaching is told completely, in proper context, it becomes clear, however, that it does not mean that at all. Satan is no closer to Jesus than we are; in fact, due to his rebellion and his having subsequently been cast out, he is farther from Jesus than the very worst of us mortals.

You cites this in response to a challenge to show where the Book of Mormon contradicts the Bible. It fails to meet this challenge on two fronts…

1. This teaching is not found in the Book of Mormon. The principles on which it is based are found in other scriptures.

2. There is nothing in the Bible that contradicts this teaching.
That's not Scripture. Satan was an angel. Jesus was never an angel, but was always God for eternity. That's Scripture. Your book of Mormon is a lie.

It's funny when those who have no clue what we believe, try to tell us that they know our beliefs better than we do.
Mormonism isn't a secret. Anyone can study your beliefs. You believe your God was once a man. You believe you can become a God. That's heresy.

Like I said, it's funny when those who have no clue what we believe, try to tell us that they know our beliefs better than we do.

If this is heresy, then you must believe that Jesus himself is a heretic since he taught that we are gods:

John 10:31-36
31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

And what is Jesus referring to:

Psalm 82:6
6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

We believe that we are his literal offspring. Much the same as the Apostle Paul did:

Acts 17:27-29
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.

Being the literal offspring of God, we were created in his his image and likeness. He is the literal Father of our spirits.

Hebrews 12:9
9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

All this in the Bible

Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon from the golden plates in a time span of 85 days. It was translated from April 7th of 1829 to June 30 of 1829. A study of the life of Joseph Smith and his associates bears this out. However, with in this time frame many other things occurred which have lead scholars to believe that the translation could only have occurred with 65 days.

How long did it take Joseph Smith to translate the Book of Mormon? - ensign

How many people can even write a 531 page book in that amount of time? This was accomplished while Joseph Smith was 24 years old with only a basic education in reading and writing and arithmatic.

Joseph first learned of the gold plates when an angel named Moroni appeared before him and told him of the plates on September 21, 1823. He was not allowed to retrieve the plates until that September 22, 1827.

Joseph first began translating between April and June of 1828. However, Joseph was tempted to allow his associate Martin Harris to take the translated manuscript and show it to his wife and her family. Joseph asked the Lord twice if he could give it to Martin Harris to show his family. The Lord denied him that request twice. Joseph asked a third time and the Lord allowed his request. Martin took the transcript to show his family but lost the manuscript. Joseph's gift to translated the plates was taken away for a time but was eventually restored.

Manuscript, Lost 116 Pages - The Encyclopedia of Mormonism

Doctrine and Covenants 10

It wasn't until 1829 that he again was allowed to translate. He did a page or two of translation with his wife in February and March but met with Oliver Cowdery and began the bulk of the entire Book of Mormon Translation on April 7, 1829.

Joseph Smith only had a basic education in reading and writing and arithmatic at the time he translated the Book of Mormon.

On Joseph Smith's education
I thought it took him a 2 year period

I think from the time he received the plates to the time he finished translation was about 2 years. However, the link I posted is counting the actual days that the work of translation was done.
Have you ever read the first chapter of Galatians? Paul says that even if an angel delivers a different gospel than the one Paul preached he is to be cursed. There is only one Gospel. Mormonism was supposedly delivered by an angel. Paul also said the devil can appear like an angel of light. Mormonism isn't the same gospel Paul preached.
Galatians was made up. Now you know.
It all is

Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon from the golden plates in a time span of 85 days. It was translated from April 7th of 1829 to June 30 of 1829. A study of the life of Joseph Smith and his associates bears this out. However, with in this time frame many other things occurred which have lead scholars to believe that the translation could only have occurred with 65 days.

How long did it take Joseph Smith to translate the Book of Mormon? - ensign

How many people can even write a 531 page book in that amount of time? This was accomplished while Joseph Smith was 24 years old with only a basic education in reading and writing and arithmatic.

Joseph first learned of the gold plates when an angel named Moroni appeared before him and told him of the plates on September 21, 1823. He was not allowed to retrieve the plates until that September 22, 1827.

Joseph first began translating between April and June of 1828. However, Joseph was tempted to allow his associate Martin Harris to take the translated manuscript and show it to his wife and her family. Joseph asked the Lord twice if he could give it to Martin Harris to show his family. The Lord denied him that request twice. Joseph asked a third time and the Lord allowed his request. Martin took the transcript to show his family but lost the manuscript. Joseph's gift to translated the plates was taken away for a time but was eventually restored.

Manuscript, Lost 116 Pages - The Encyclopedia of Mormonism

Doctrine and Covenants 10

It wasn't until 1829 that he again was allowed to translate. He did a page or two of translation with his wife in February and March but met with Oliver Cowdery and began the bulk of the entire Book of Mormon Translation on April 7, 1829.

Joseph Smith only had a basic education in reading and writing and arithmatic at the time he translated the Book of Mormon.

On Joseph Smith's education
I thought it took him a 2 year period

I think from the time he received the plates to the time he finished translation was about 2 years. However, the link I posted is counting the actual days that the work of translation was done.
Have you ever read the first chapter of Galatians? Paul says that even if an angel delivers a different gospel than the one Paul preached he is to be cursed. There is only one Gospel. Mormonism was supposedly delivered by an angel. Paul also said the devil can appear like an angel of light. Mormonism isn't the same gospel Paul preached.
Galatians was made up. Now you know.
It all is
Didn't want to shock him all at once, he seems kinda fragile. :biggrin:

If this is heresy, then you must believe that Jesus himself is a heretic since he taught that we are gods:

32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

We believe that we are his literal offspring. Much the same as the Apostle Paul did:

27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.

Being the literal offspring of God, we were created in his his image and likeness. He is the literal Father of our spirits.

9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

All this in the Bible
You err. Jesus was eternal God and became a man. He wasn't a man that became God like Mormons teach. The term "gods" means judges, not the One eternal God. Mormonism twists Scripture. You don't have the full understanding. You still haven't shown me in Scripture where it says Jesus and Satan are brothers.

All this in the Bible
You err. Jesus was eternal God and became a man. He wasn't a man that became God like Mormons teach. The term "gods" means judges, not the One eternal God. Mormonism twists Scripture. You don't have the full understanding. You still haven't shown me in Scripture where it says Jesus and Satan are brothers.

Again, you insinuate something that is not what we believe. Jesus is the God of the old testament. It was through him that the worlds are and were created before he ever came to this earth. So you are simply wrong again about what we believe. Jesus was part of the Godhead of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost before he came to earth and received a body of flesh and bone. Should I start a thread to teach you the basics of what the LDS believe? You are wrong about us in so many of your posts.

The term 'gods' does not mean 'judges'. If it did I would be able to change out the word gods for the word judges and have the scripture make sense. Let me know if the verse with the changes made makes sense to you:

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are JUDGES?
35 If he called them JUDGES, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

Does that make sense to you?

Last edited:

All this in the Bible

Again, you insinuate something that is not what we believe. Jesus is the God of the old testament. It was through him that the worlds are and were created before he ever came to this earth. So you are simply wrong again about what we believe. Jesus was part of the Godhead of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost before he came to earth and received a body of flesh and bone. Should I start a thread to teach you the basics of what the LDS believe? You are wrong about us in so many of your posts.

The term 'gods' does not mean 'judges'. If it did I would be able to change out the word judges for the word gods and have the scripture make sense. Let me know if the verse with the changes made makes sense to you:

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are JUDGES?
35 If he called them JUDGES, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

Does that make sense to you?
Let's take one thing at a time. First, do Mormons believe Jesus was eternal God before He came to earth and born as a male?

Forum List

Back