How long did it take Joseph Smith to translate the Book of Mormon?

Acts 3:21
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

What things needed restitution before Christ could come again? Why would a restitution of ALL things be necessary?

Amos 8:11-12
11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord:
12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it.

What did Amos mean that you could search all over and not find the word of the Lord? When did this happen?

Revelation 12:14
14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.

Who is the woman of Revelation 12? When did she go into the wilderness for a time, times, and a half a time?

The Book of Mormon is the book spoken of in Isaiah 29.
Bullcorn. Jesus said His church would endure forever. There was nothing to restore. The Church today is the same church from the Day of Pentecost.
OK. I give up. How could Isaiah mention a book that was written over a thousand years after Isaiah was written? And where was it mentioned? Chapter and verse, please.

Bullcorn. Jesus said His church would endure forever. There was nothing to restore. The Church today is the same church from the Day of Pentecost.
OK. I give up. How could Isaiah mention a book that was written over a thousand years after Isaiah was written? And where was it mentioned? Chapter and verse, please.
Isaiah didn't mention the Book of Mormon.

I know this. I was simply asking the fool to prove it.

Mormons twist scripture. I really wouldn't want to be in their shoes on judgment day. It's serious business to deliberately mislead people.

Oh, ok.

Paul also spoke of the apostasy that would occur before Second coming of the Lord.

The Second Epistle of Paul the Apostle to theThessalonians

Chapter 2
Apostasy is to precede the Second Coming—The gospel prepares men for eternal glory.

1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.
7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.
16 Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace,
17 Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.

For an in depth study of these things see The Great Apostasy

Oh, ok.
Actually, I read what he posted, and it seems like he could be partially correct. Isaiah didn't mention it by name, but Mormonism just might what it was talking about, along with other false religions. People running to and fro, looking for the truth.

The Mormons, like the Catholics, have a "top down" church, authority. The members of both churches have no decision making authority, whatever. For we Protestants, this is unacceptable. Catholics can't even fire their priests. I don't understand why either LDS or Catholics tolerate it.

Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon from the golden plates in a time span of 85 days. It was translated from April 7th of 1829 to June 30 of 1829. A study of the life of Joseph Smith and his associates bears this out. However, with in this time frame many other things occurred which have lead scholars to believe that the translation could only have occurred with 65 days.

How long did it take Joseph Smith to translate the Book of Mormon? - ensign

How many people can even write a 531 page book in that amount of time? This was accomplished while Joseph Smith was 24 years old with only a basic education in reading and writing and arithmatic.

Joseph first learned of the gold plates when an angel named Moroni appeared before him and told him of the plates on September 21, 1823. He was not allowed to retrieve the plates until that September 22, 1827.

Joseph first began translating between April and June of 1828. However, Joseph was tempted to allow his associate Martin Harris to take the translated manuscript and show it to his wife and her family. Joseph asked the Lord twice if he could give it to Martin Harris to show his family. The Lord denied him that request twice. Joseph asked a third time and the Lord allowed his request. Martin took the transcript to show his family but lost the manuscript. Joseph's gift to translated the plates was taken away for a time but was eventually restored.

Manuscript, Lost 116 Pages - The Encyclopedia of Mormonism

Doctrine and Covenants 10

It wasn't until 1829 that he again was allowed to translate. He did a page or two of translation with his wife in February and March but met with Oliver Cowdery and began the bulk of the entire Book of Mormon Translation on April 7, 1829.

Joseph Smith only had a basic education in reading and writing and arithmatic at the time he translated the Book of Mormon.

On Joseph Smith's education
I thought it took him a 2 year period

My understanding is he used Google Translate

Didnt take long

Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon from the golden plates in a time span of 85 days. It was translated from April 7th of 1829 to June 30 of 1829. A study of the life of Joseph Smith and his associates bears this out. However, with in this time frame many other things occurred which have lead scholars to believe that the translation could only have occurred with 65 days.

How many people can even write a 531 page book in that amount of time? This was accomplished while Joseph Smith was 24 years old with only a basic education in reading and writing and arithmatic.

Joseph first learned of the gold plates when an angel named Moroni appeared before him and told him of the plates on September 21, 1823. He was not allowed to retrieve the plates until that September 22, 1827.

Joseph first began translating between April and June of 1828. However, Joseph was tempted to allow his associate Martin Harris to take the translated manuscript and show it to his wife and her family. Joseph asked the Lord twice if he could give it to Martin Harris to show his family. The Lord denied him that request twice. Joseph asked a third time and the Lord allowed his request. Martin took the transcript to show his family but lost the manuscript. Joseph's gift to translated the plates was taken away for a time but was eventually restored.

It wasn't until 1829 that he again was allowed to translate. He did a page or two of translation with his wife in February and March but met with Oliver Cowdery and began the bulk of the entire Book of Mormon Translation on April 7, 1829.

Joseph Smith only had a basic education in reading and writing and arithmatic at the time he translated the Book of Mormon.

I think from the time he received the plates to the time he finished translation was about 2 years. However, the link I posted is counting the actual days that the work of translation was done.

The testimony of the witnesses of the gold plates:

The Testimony of Three Witnesses

Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That we, through the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, have seen the plates which contain this record, which is a record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites, their brethren, and also of the people of Jared, who came from the tower of which hath been spoken. And we also know that they have been translated by the gift and power of God, for his voice hath declared it unto us; wherefore we know of a surety that the work is true. And we also testify that we have seen the engravings which are upon the plates; and they have been shown unto us by the power of God, and not of man. And we declare with words of soberness, that an angel of God came down from heaven, and he brought and laid before our eyes, that we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon; and we know that it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, that we beheld and bear record that these things are true. And it is marvelous in our eyes. Nevertheless, the voice of the Lord commanded us that we should bear record of it; wherefore, to be obedient unto the commandments of God, we bear testimony of these things. And we know that if we are faithful in Christ, we shall rid our garments of the blood of all men, and be found spotless before the judgment-seat of Christ, and shall dwell with him eternally in the heavens. And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.

Oliver Cowdery

David Whitmer

Martin Harris

The Testimony of Eight Witnesses

Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That Joseph Smith, Jun., the translator of this work, has shown unto us the plates of which hath been spoken, which have the appearance of gold; and as many of the leaves as the said Smith has translated we did handle with our hands; and we also saw the engravings thereon, all of which has the appearance of ancient work, and of curious workmanship. And this we bear record with words of soberness, that the said Smith has shown unto us, for we have seen and hefted, and know of a surety that the said Smith has got the plates of which we have spoken. And we give our names unto the world, to witness unto the world that which we have seen. And we lie not, God bearing witness of it.

Christian Whitmer

Jacob Whitmer

Peter Whitmer, Jun.

John Whitmer

Hiram Page

Joseph Smith, Sen.

Hyrum Smith

Samuel H. Smith
Okay, that's interesting. But where did the plates go after they were handled and witnessed by these people?
There were no golden plates. Mr Smith made the whole thing up from whole cloth. He is surely burning in Hell right now.
If you don't like what the Book of Mormon sez, why don't you go right your own.

The Mormons, like the Catholics, have a "top down" church, authority. The members of both churches have no decision making authority, whatever. For we Protestants, this is unacceptable. Catholics can't even fire their priests. I don't understand why either LDS or Catholics tolerate it.

As a Mormon, I find it difficult to imagine why it ought to be otherwise? Ultimately, the highest authority would be God Himself; and the highest mortal man to hold leadership of God's church should be someone directed by, and answerable to God.

Should it not be up to God—through His appointed representatives—to tell the masses what His doctrine and policies should be, rather than the other way around?

What could one expect of the mortal masses thinking that it is their place to tell God what His doctrines and policies are to be?

As a Mormon, I find it difficult to imagine why it ought to be otherwise? Ultimately, the highest authority would be God Himself; and the highest mortal man to hold leadership of God's church should be someone directed by, and answerable to God.

Should it not be up to God—through His appointed representatives—to tell the masses what His doctrine and policies should be, rather than the other way around?

What could one expect of the mortal masses thinking that it is their place to tell God what His doctrines and policies are to be?
I will put it to you this way. Many people talk to god. But if god starts talking back, such person is either fake, or he is crazy.

I will put it to you this way. Many people talk to god. But if god starts talking back, such person is either fake, or he is crazy.

There, I guess, is the answer. An arrogant people, who, in their hubris and folly, will reject any genuine prophecy as madness. This is how Christianity went so badly astray after Jesus' time. God continued to try to give us his word by prophecy, but the people rejected his word, and murdered his prophets.

Amos 3:7: Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

There, I guess, is the answer. An arrogant people, who, in their hubris and folly, will reject any genuine prophecy as madness. This is how Christianity went so badly astray after Jesus' time. God continued to try to give us his word by prophecy, but the people rejected his word, and murdered his prophets.

Amos 3:7: Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

Seems like he should have switched to email or something.

You're not Joy Behar or part of her fan club are you?

I think from the time he received the plates to the time he finished translation was about 2 years. However, the link I posted is counting the actual days that the work of translation was done.
Have you ever read the first chapter of Galatians? Paul says that even if an angel delivers a different gospel than the one Paul preached he is to be cursed. There is only one Gospel. Mormonism was supposedly delivered by an angel. Paul also said the devil can appear like an angel of light. Mormonism isn't the same gospel Paul preached.

Have you ever read the first chapter of Galatians? Paul says that even if an angel delivers a different gospel than the one Paul preached he is to be cursed. There is only one Gospel. Mormonism was supposedly delivered by an angel. Paul also said the devil can appear like an angel of light. Mormonism isn't the same gospel Paul preached.
Galatians was made up. Now you know.

Forum List

Back