How long did it take Joseph Smith to translate the Book of Mormon?

They are one in will and purpose as the Godhead. The Godhead is one God made up of three separate and distinct personages. The Godhead, as a group, is considered one God. Also each of the members of the Godhead are considered to be one God since they are one in will and purpose. Yet they are not one being but are three separate and distinct individual beings.
So you believe in the Trinity?

We don't use the word, "Trinity" to describe God but our first Article of Faith says:

1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

They are one in will and purpose as the Godhead. The Godhead is one God made up of three separate and distinct personages. The Godhead, as a group, is considered one God. Also each of the members of the Godhead are considered to be one God since they are one in will and purpose. Yet they are not one being but are three separate and distinct individual beings.

We don't use the word, "Trinity" to describe God but our first Article of Faith says:

1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
You may wish to research your religion , but I believe that Mormon leadership believe that God the Father and the Son are separate gods. They also play with the rumor that Jesus and Satan are somehow brothers! And there is the troubling Mormon notion that the Creator formed everything from preexisting matter (kind of like a chemist). As a Christian I believe the entire Bible and I believe GOD created EVERYTHING both visible and invisible in 6 days (evening and morning).

Last edited:

Do you believe the Father, Jesus and the Holy Ghost are the only One True God?

You may wish to research your religion , but I believe that Mormon leadership believe that God the Father and the Son are separate gods. They also play with the rumor that Jesus and Satan are somehow brothers! And there is the troubling Mormon notion that the Creator formed everything from preexisting matter (kind of like a chemist). As a Christian I believe the entire Bible and I believe GOD created EVERYTHING both visible and invisible in 6 days (evening and morning).

We believe that God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are separate and distinct beings. In this way they are separate. But we also believe that they form a quorum or group known as the godhead and have the same will and purpose. In this way they are one God. We do not believe that the three of them are the same being. But we do believe that they work together in perfect unison as the one true God.

We believe that all those who have a spirit of mankind on this earth or who belong to God's vast kingdom, are his children. We believe that Lucifer was a son of the morning and was once accepted by God until he rebelled and fell from heaven.

Isaiah 14:12-17
12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;
17 That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?

Obviously Lucifer was a member of heaven and he is mankind. Yet he fell from heaven.

Revelation 12:7-11

7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angelsfought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

Satan rebelled against God and sought to destroy the agency of man which God had given to man. He attempted usurp God's power and to turn many away from God and for this reason he was cast out of heaven. His name was changed from Lucifer to Satan. The name Lucifer means the Shining One; also Lightbringer or Son of the Morning. This was the type of being he was before he rebelled against our Father in Heaven.

Jesus was the Firstborn of all the spirit children of God. All mankind are the spiritual offspring of God. However, God has allowed us to have free will and because of this Lucifer and those whom he got to follow after him were cast out of heaven.

Regarding Jesus:

Romans 8:29
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Hebrews 12:23
23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

Regarding our Father in Heaven:

Hebrews 12:9
9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Acts 17:28-29
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.

Show me in the Bible where it states that the word creation means to create out of nothing. Surely you have heard that man was created from the dust of the earth, haven't you? Is it not true that God put the spirit of man into the body which was created from the dust of the earth. Where does it ever state in the Bible that God ever created anything out of nothing. I can save you the time and tell you that it never states in the Bible that God creates out of nothing.

We believe that God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are separate and distinct beings. In this way they are separate. But we also believe that they form a quorum or group known as the godhead and have the same will and purpose. In this way they are one God. We do not believe that the three of them are the same being. But we do believe that they work together in perfect unison as the one true God.

We believe that all those who have a spirit of mankind on this earth or who belong to God's vast kingdom, are his children. We believe that Lucifer was a son of the morning and was once accepted by God until he rebelled and fell from heaven.

12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;
17 That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?

Obviously Lucifer was a member of heaven and he is mankind. Yet he fell from heaven.

7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angelsfought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

Satan rebelled against God and sought to destroy the agency of man which God had given to man. He attempted usurp God's power and to turn many away from God and for this reason he was cast out of heaven. His name was changed from Lucifer to Satan. The name Lucifer means the Shining One; also Lightbringer or Son of the Morning. This was the type of being he was before he rebelled against our Father in Heaven.

Jesus was the Firstborn of all the spirit children of God. All mankind are the spiritual offspring of God. However, God has allowed us to have free will and because of this Lucifer and those whom he got to follow after him were cast out of heaven.

Regarding Jesus:

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.

Show me in the Bible where it states that the word creation means to create out of nothing. Surely you have heard that man was created from the dust of the earth, haven't you? Is it not true that God put the spirit of man into the body which was created from the dust of the earth. Where does it ever state in the Bible that God ever created anything out of nothing. I can save you the time and tell you that it never states in the Bible that God creates out of nothing.
Is God the One True God or are there other Gods?

We believe what Paul the Apostle taught:

1 Corinthians 8:5-6
5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
Yes, but Paul wasn't referring to another "God". You're twisting Scripture. Mormons believe there are other Gods, capital G. Mormons believe there are billions of other Gods with planets like earth. Isn't that right? That Scripture is referring to the beliefs of the Greeks, not Christians. The key is this: "but to us". Paul makes a distinction between the beliefs of the Greeks and the beliefs of Christians.

Last edited:
As the offspring of God and as his children, Jesus taught that we are gods.

John 10:34
34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

Psalms 82:6
6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

Just as a man and woman have children in this life and those children can grow up and become like their parents having their own children as parents, so too God has provided a way whereby we can be like him. We can be one the same as Jesus is one with the Father of spirits.

1 John 3:2-3
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

John 17:20-23
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Matthew 5:48
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Such are the blessings of those who inherit eternal life.

As the offspring of God and as his children, Jesus taught that we are gods.

John 10:34
34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

Psalms 82:6
6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

Just as a man and woman have children in this life and those children can grow up and become like their parents having their own children as parents, so too God has provided a way whereby we can be like him. We can be one the same as Jesus is one with the Father of spirits.

1 John 3:2-3
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

John 17:20-23
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Matthew 5:48
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Such are the blessings of those who inherit eternal life.
Little "g" is not the same as Capital "G". Do you understand why the Creator is God and others are gods?

Yes, but Paul wasn't referring to another "God". You're twisting Scripture. Mormons believe there are other Gods, capital G. Mormons believe there are billions of other Gods with planets like earth. Isn't that right? That Scripture is referring to the beliefs of the Greeks, not Christians. The key is this: "but to us". Paul makes a distinction between the beliefs of the Greeks and the beliefs of Christians.

Paul begins by teaching the Corinthians against the practice of idol worship:

1 Corinthians 8:4-6
4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

Paul starts out by establishing that an idol is nothing in the world and that there is none other God but one. Then he clarifies in verse 5 that there are those who are called gods which reside in both heaven and earth. He is not referring to the nothing of verse 4 but that there are actual beings that are gods. Those in heaven are those of his children who were worthy of eternal life and those who still remain on this earth whom he clearly taught were gods. Then he really emphasizes his point in parentheses (AS THERE BE GODS MANY, AND LORDS MANY). He then clarifies what our relationship is to these others who are gods by saying, "But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him."

Just as there are many Fathers in this world with sons and daughters, each of us are only born of one Father. And even though there are many Fathers, to us there is but one. It is the same in heaven. As there be gods many and lords many, but to us there is but one God, the Father, of who are all things, and we in him, and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. Our God is the Father of our spirits. Other gods will have their own children in their own kingdom. To us there are no other Gods besides Him who is our Father. Though the neighbor is a father, he is not called father by my children. My children only recognize me as their father. We believe that part of eternal life is the continuation of marriage of those who are worthy of eternal life. Along with marriage is the continuation of bearing children, spirit children. Just as we are the spirit children of our Father in heaven, we too can become like our Father in Heaven and share in the continuation of life. This to us is the blessing of eternal life. For this reason God has given us this power in mortal life that we might learn and know how to use it properly, though many abuse it. In the eternities, the power of procreation will only be given to those who are worthy of it and they will enjoy an eternal posterity which eventually will number more than the sands upon the seashore. This will be their vast kingdom.

Last edited:

Do Mormons believe Jesus was eternal God before he came to earth and born as a male?

Yes we do but not in the same way you do.

I know. You don't believe the Scriptures.

Do Mormons believe Jesus was eternal God before he came to earth and born as a male?

I make a New Years resolution every year to read the Bible completely thru. So you really do yourself a disservice to me when you make such a claim

As part of the Godhead, Jesus was indeed a God. He was not God the Father nor was he the God the Holy Ghost. He was God the Son, even Jesus Christ who was foreordained to come to the world as the Savior.
No, Jesus wasn't a God. He was God. Scripture says He is God.

Now you try to twist and say that I am saying he was not God. Jesus was not God the Father. He however, as a member of the Godhead can act in the name of the Father as God. Jesus is God. He is God in that he is a part of the Godhead and as part of the Godhead he represents what we know as God. He is a God and He is God. He is one in purpose and will with the Father. Jesus taught:

John 8:28
28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he,and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

John 5:19
19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

Notice how Jesus distinguishes himself from the Father when he says that he does nothing of himself. He only does that which the Father teaches him and does only that which the Father would do. But of himself he does nothing. God the Father is the head of the godhead. Jesus as the second member of the godhead does only that which the father would have him do. It was difficult for Jesus to go through the atoning sacrifice but he submitted his will to the Father and did only that which the Father would have him do:

Luke 22:41-43
41 And he was withdrawn from them about a stone’s cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,
42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
43 And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.

The will of Jesus at the time was to have the cup removed from him, but being totally obedient to the will of the Father he submitted his will to the Father's will.

Jesus definitely was God. He was a perfect revelation of the Father unto us here on earth. But he was not the Father as he distinguishes himself from the Father many times in scripture. He was God the Son. He was the second member of the godhead. Thus he was and is God but he is not the Father.

All members of the Godhead are one in will and purpose. Each one duly acts as God. Thus they are God.
One God, the Father and Jesus. Not two Gods.

Regarding Jesus:

Is God the One True God or are there other Gods?
Do

So your Jesus created evil and mine didn't.

Is the word trinity in the bible?

Paul begins by teaching the Corinthians against the practice of idol worship:

1 Corinthians 8:4-6
4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

Paul starts out by establishing that an idol is nothing in the world and that there is none other God but one. Then he clarifies in verse 5 that there are those who are called gods which reside in both heaven and earth. He is not referring to the nothing of verse 4 but that there are actual beings that are gods. Those in heaven are those of his children who were worthy of eternal life and those who still remain on this earth whom he clearly taught were gods. Then he really emphasizes his point in parentheses (AS THERE BE GODS MANY, AND LORDS MANY). He then clarifies what our relationship is to these others who are gods by saying, "But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him."

Just as there are many Fathers in this world with sons and daughters, each of us are only born of one Father. And even though there are many Fathers, to us there is but one. It is the same in heaven. As there be gods many and lords many, but to us there is but one God, the Father, of who are all things, and we in him, and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. Our God is the Father of our spirits. Other gods will have their own children in their own kingdom. To us there are no other Gods besides Him who is our Father. Though the neighbor is a father, he is not called father by my children. My children only recognize me as their father. We believe that part of eternal life is the continuation of marriage of those who are worthy of eternal life. Along with marriage is the continuation of bearing children, spirit children. Just as we are the spirit children of our Father in heaven, we too can become like our Father in Heaven and share in the continuation of life. This to us is the blessing of eternal life. For this reason God has given us this power in mortal life that we might learn and know how to use it properly, though many abuse it. In the eternities, the power of procreation will only be given to those who are worthy of it and they will enjoy an eternal posterity which eventually will number more than the sands upon the seashore. This will be their vast kingdom.
"BUT TO US". Paul is saying that Christians don't believe that that there are many Gods. You're not listening. This is typical of mormonism, scripture twisting. Now please answer the question, do you believe that there are other Gods like our Creator and Jesus Christ that have other planets that they are the One God over?

What Paul is saying when he says, "BUT TO US" is to us here on this earth there is but one God.and one Lord Jesus Christ. All of us who are on this earth are children of one Heavenly Father. There are also other worlds where the children of our Heavenly Father reside. He has created worlds without number (to we mortals on earth) where his children reside. However, this does not preclude that there are other Gods who exist in the infinite and vast eternity of space. Paul is saying that AS THERE BE gods many, and lords many but to us (who are his children) there is but one God the Father and one Lord Jesus Christ.

Regarding the issue of Big G and little g. I doubt that you will find a Big G and little g in Hebrew. The word is translated from the same word. The translators took the liberty to assign a Big G and a little g to the word.

In Psalms 82:6 the word "gods" is אֱלֹהִ֣ים or elohim in Hebrew

In Genesis 1:1 the word "God" is אֱלֹהִ֑ים or elohim in Hebrew

It is the same.

In John 10:34 the word "gods" is Θεοί Theoi in Greek

In John 17:3 the word for "God is Θεὸν Theon in Greek

The ending is slightly different probably due to the plural. A variation of capitalization does not exist and the words are the same or of the same root.

I make a New Years resolution every year to read the Bible completely thru. So you really do yourself a disservice to me when you make such a claim

I read the bible continually. I read a few chapters from the Old Testament and the New almost every day. Weird how we can get different results, huh.

What Paul is saying when he says, "BUT TO US" is to us here on this earth there is but one God.and one Lord Jesus Christ. All of us who are on this earth are children of one Heavenly Father. There are also other worlds where the children of our Heavenly Father reside. He has created worlds without number (to we mortals on earth) where his children reside. However, this does not preclude that there are other Gods who exist in the infinite and vast eternity of space. Paul is saying that AS THERE BE gods many, and lords many but to us (who are his children) there is but one God the Father and one Lord Jesus Christ.

Regarding the issue of Big G and little g. I doubt that you will find a Big G and little g in Hebrew. The word is translated from the same word. The translators took the liberty to assign a Big G and a little g to the word.

In Psalms 82:6 the word "gods" is אֱלֹהִ֣ים or elohim in Hebrew

In Genesis 1:1 the word "God" is אֱלֹהִ֑ים or elohim in Hebrew

It is the same.

In John 10:34 the word "gods" is Θεοί Theoi in Greek

In John 17:3 the word for "God is Θεὸν Theon in Greek

The ending is slightly different probably due to the plural. A variation of capitalization does not exist and the words are the same or of the same root.
Once again, you're taking that Scripture and twisting it to fit your theology instead of understanding what Paul is referring to. Where in the Bible are these other worlds and other Gods and people mentioned?

Forum List

Back