How many in Congress were aware of NSA collecting phone records?

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) on Thursday laid public concern over the National Security Agency's collection of phone records from millions of Verizon customers at the feet of President Barack Obama, declining to explain to reporters why such a program, approved by Congress years ago, is necessary.

"I trust the president will explain to the American people why the administration considers this a critical tool in protecting our nation from threat of terrorist attack," Boehner said at a weekly press briefing.

"Why isn't the burden also on you to explain why this act was passed?" a reporter pressed.

The Ohio Republican also would not say whether he was briefed or aware of the program.

“This is nothing particularly new," said Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-GA). "This has been going on for seven years under the auspices of the FISA authority, and every member of the United States Senate has been advised of this.”

“It’s called protecting America," added Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA).

More: Boehner Declines To Explain Why NSA Phone Tracking Is Necessary | TPM LiveWire, By IGOR BOBIC

So, it appears that Boehner's "concern" is phony - considering he likely knew about it. Also, Senator Saxby Chambliss (R-GA) made it clear that the entire Senate knew about it.

Phony outrage like all the phony outrage from the left when the program was started under Bush destroying the constitution, invasion of privacy, illegal eavesdropping stuff like that yet now that we find it was continued by Obama it's all good. Why is that are they only checking up on conservatives?

Yeah. not really sure how you think this stops us from wanting to throw the bums out.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) on Thursday laid public concern over the National Security Agency's collection of phone records from millions of Verizon customers at the feet of President Barack Obama, declining to explain to reporters why such a program, approved by Congress years ago, is necessary.

"I trust the president will explain to the American people why the administration considers this a critical tool in protecting our nation from threat of terrorist attack," Boehner said at a weekly press briefing.

"Why isn't the burden also on you to explain why this act was passed?" a reporter pressed.

The Ohio Republican also would not say whether he was briefed or aware of the program.

“This is nothing particularly new," said Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-GA). "This has been going on for seven years under the auspices of the FISA authority, and every member of the United States Senate has been advised of this.”

“It’s called protecting America," added Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA).

More: Boehner Declines To Explain Why NSA Phone Tracking Is Necessary

So, it appears that Boehner's "concern" is phony - considering he likely knew about it. Also, Senator Saxby Chambliss (R-GA) made it clear that the entire Senate knew about it.

They all have to know about it. They're the assholes who voted in the Patriot Act and the NDAA. They are the ones who created this police surveillance state. There is no excuse from the President or the Congress for this.

I love these two Democrats. They were positively prophetic.

Looking back, Democratic Senators Ron Wyden and Mark Udall warned that the government was abusing their privileges when it came to spying.

The two men, who sit on the Senate Intelligence Committee, cryptically warned that there would be backlash should any of the federal tricks be revealed.

'When the American people find out how their government has secretly interpreted the Patriot Act, they are going to be stunned and they are going to be angry,' they wrote in a joint letter to Attorney General Eric Holder in 2012.

'As we see it, there is now a significant gap between what most Americans think the law allows and what the government secretly claims the law allows.

article-2336659-1A2C5D18000005DC-807_306x423.jpg

article-2336659-1A2C5D24000005DC-673_306x423.jpg

Warning: Senators Mark Udall (#1) and Ron Wyden (#2) wrote a letter warning the Attorney General that there would be public outcry should the government's actions become public

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ily-secret-order-issued-April-lasts-July.html

Personally, none of it bothers me. However, I can understand why some might be outraged - but my point is that the outrage should be directed at both Congress and the White House. There's plenty of blame to go around in both parties.

The reason none of it bothers me is because I understand their concerns in protecting us. We may disagree with how they go about doing that.

Personally, none of it bothers me. However, I can understand why some might be outraged - but my point is that the outrage should be directed at both Congress and the White House. There's plenty of blame to go around in both parties.

When has anyone pretended to be angry at only the President?

Do you not pay attention to anything we write on this board?

I try not to.

I try not to.

So you hang around all day at a message board and respond to posts you try not to read?

I will never understand some people.

I've been paying attention. All the anger from the right is directed at the President. I haven't read anyone calling out Republicans or holding them responsible in any way. That said, I'm pissed at Obama and complicit Democrats who have gone along with this gestapo crap. The problem is what is the alternative? Both parties are to blame.

I've been paying attention. All the anger from the right is directed at the President. I haven't read anyone calling out Republicans or holding them responsible in any way. That said, I'm pissed at Obama and complicit Democrats who have gone along with this gestapo crap. The problem is what is the alternative? Both parties are to blame.

Gone along???

The NSA falls under the EXECUTIVE BRANCH.

They do what the President tells them to do...not vice versa.

Congress doesn't make or enforce policy for the NSA...the Obama Administration does.

The Congress provides OVERSIGHT ONLY...the buck stops with OBAMA.

Last edited:
Yeah. not really sure how you think this stops us from wanting to throw the bums out.
I found it rather interesting that when Holder was asked if he was spying on Congress, he asked that the conversation go private and did not deny the question.

I'm actually starting to get worried about the motives of this administration.

Gone along???

The NSA falls under the EXECUTIVE BRANCH.

They do what the President tells them to do...not vice versa.

Congress doesn't make or enforce policy for the NSA...the Obama Administration does.

The Congress provides OVERSIGHT ONLY...the buck stops with OBAMA.

I'm talking about the bozos who enacted the Patriot Act and NDAA. This police state crap has been going on with Republican and Democrat administrations, and these laws were passed with heavy support from both parties. Congress has been little more than a rubber stamp when it comes to this. They created this gestapo and they enable it.

And people wonder why I'm neither Dem nor Rep.
When they pull shit like this, it becomes obvious.

If any Senator on either side has the balls to repeal NDAA or the Patriot Act, they haven't shown up yet.

I see certain wingnuts are trying to blame this solely on Obama. No surprise...

Is Obama the President of the United States?

Does the President of the United States have unitary control and leadership of the executive branch of government?

Does the NSA fall under the dominion of the Executive Branch?

If A, B, and C are all true, then see below:...

President Obama is responsible for
the policies enacted and the actions taken
by the Executive Branch
under his leadership.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back