🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

How much is a pension worth compared to retirement savings.

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017
I found this article today about how to factor in a pension for retirement planning.

A good rule of thumb is that the retiree would need $18,000 in retirement savings for every $1,200 per year ($100 per month) of earned pension income. In applying this rule, the amount of earned pension income an employee has at any point in time is based on the employer's pension formula, the employee's current earnings, and the time spent on the job to date.

As an example, examine how much an earned pension income of $30,000 would add to a person's net worth. A defined benefit plan income of $30,000 annually is $2,500 per month, which is 25 times $100. Therefore, it follows that funding such a pension benefit with a 401(k)-style defined contribution plan would require retirement savings of at least $450,000 (25 × $18,000). Consequently, the defined benefit plan adds $450,000 to net worth.

What do you all think of this formula?

I get pretty close to the same numbers when I just calculate how much a pension will have paid if I live to be 85. So I feel the formula is pretty good.

The first question that comes to mind:

Can the majority of Americans afford to save a hundred dollars, or to the point, hundreds of thousands of dollars?

The first question that comes to mind:

Can the majority of Americans afford to save a hundred dollars, or to the point, hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Great question, start a thread about that topic.

For this one, stay on topic

I receive approximately 60% of my pay I received as a Marine twice a month... not sure how that will effect... if any.... when I file for SSI... I need to look into this...

I receive approximately 60% of my pay I received as a Marine twice a month... not sure how that will effect... if any.... when I file for SSI... I need to look into this...

Pensions, annuities, investment income, interest, veterans benefits, or other government or military retirement benefits are not counted as income for the income cap for SSI.

My Marine Corps retirement is 50% of my base pay as an E7 when I retired as I got out right at 20 (well 20 and a month to make sure they did not mess up the math)

Pensions, annuities, investment income, interest, veterans benefits, or other government or military retirement benefits are not counted as income for the income cap for SSI.

My Marine Corps retirement is 50% of my base pay as an E7 when I retired as I got out right at 20 (well 20 and a month to make sure they did not mess up the math)
yep I just saw this...

Forum List

Back