How Much Should We Fine Them per day ???

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hillbilly Hollywood, Tenn
Animas River Massive Waste Spill Turns River Orange

A Massive Waste Spill Turned This River in Colorado Orange
Maya Rhodan @m_rhodan Aug. 6, 2015

Jerry McBride—Durango Herald

Mine waste from the Gold King Mine north of Silverton fills the Animas River at Bakers Bridge on Aug. 6, 2015 in Durango, Colo.

The EPA accidentally caused the spill, reports say

About 1 million gallons of mine waste spilled into a Colorado waterway on Wednesday, turning the water bright orange and prompting officials to warn residents to avoid recreational use of the Animas River.

San Juan County health officials say the Environmental Protection Agency and the state Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety were investigating

another contamination when they “unexpectedly triggered a large release of mine waste water into the upper portions of Cement Creek.” Cement Creek is a tributary of the Animas River.

animas-river-mine-waste-water-jpeg.jpg

GuaranDamnTeed.. Nobody will be fired... No fines. No Court cases.. No calls for more legislation...

Mental midget desk jockeys and paper shufflers out in the woods for a field trip..

Besides the single sentence in the link that the OP used where is the evidence that the EPA actually caused the spill?

Reading is fundamental.....

"San Juan County health officials say the Environmental Protection Agency and the state Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety were investigating another contamination when they “unexpectedly triggered a large release of mine waste water into the upper portions of Cement Creek.” Cement Creek is a tributary of the Animas River."

Besides the single sentence in the link that the OP used where is the evidence that the EPA actually caused the spill?

Well before the fines and jail sentencing is handed out -- we can confirm all that right??

Absolutely!

But even the EPA has the right to the presumption of innocence given that the media doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to getting the facts right.

They better clean that up. Fortunately it won't cause even a fraction as much destruction as something like the Deepwater Horizon spill caused. It seems that river was already pretty bereft of wildlife because of steady contamination over the decades due to mining that occured before EPA regulations were in place. And further down there's been just a small spike in acidity.

Environment
Animas River fouled by 1 million gallons of contaminated mine water
EPA accidently releases water; Durango residents warned to cut back on water use as health officials evaluate river
By Jesse Paul and Bruce Finley
The Denver Post

Posted: 08/06/2015 11:27:26 AM MDT | Updated: about 8 hours ago

DURANGO — A spill that sent 1 million gallons of wastewater from an abandoned mine into the Animas River, turning the river orange, set off warnings Thursday that contaminants threaten water quality for those downstream.

The Environmental Protection Agency confirmed it triggered the spill while using heavy machinery to investigate pollutants at the Gold King Mine, north of Silverton.

Health and environmental officials are evaluating the river as it flows through San Juan and La Plata counties. They said the wastewater contained zinc, iron, copper and other heavy metals, prompting the EPA to warn agricultural users to shut off water intakes along the river and law officials to close the river to recreational users.

People kayak in the Animas River near Durango on Thursday in water colored from a mine waste spill. (Jerry McBride, The Durango Herald)
"There's nothing that can be done to stop the flow of the river," said Joe Lewandowski, a spokesman for Colorado Parks and Wildlife. "We can only wait until the flows slow down. We had a big heavy spring (of rain) here."

Lewandowski said the EPA is testing to determine the river's metal levels and results should be returned by mid-Friday.

Animas River fouled by 1 million gallons of contaminated mine water - The Denver Post

Well before the fines and jail sentencing is handed out -- we can confirm all that right??

Absolutely!

But even the EPA has the right to the presumption of innocence given that the media doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to getting the facts right.

Except when it's the New York Times and any story about Leftists.. :badgrin:

Environment
EPA accidently releases water; Durango residents warned to cut back on water use as health officials evaluate river
The Denver Post

DURANGO — A spill that sent 1 million gallons of wastewater from an abandoned mine into the Animas River, turning the river orange, set off warnings Thursday that contaminants threaten water quality for those downstream.

The Environmental Protection Agency confirmed it triggered the spill while using heavy machinery to investigate pollutants at the Gold King Mine, north of Silverton.

Health and environmental officials are evaluating the river as it flows through San Juan and La Plata counties. They said the wastewater contained zinc, iron, copper and other heavy metals, prompting the EPA to warn agricultural users to shut off water intakes along the river and law officials to close the river to recreational users.

People kayak in the Animas River near Durango on Thursday in water colored from a mine waste spill. (Jerry McBride, The Durango Herald)
"There's nothing that can be done to stop the flow of the river," said Joe Lewandowski, a spokesman for Colorado Parks and Wildlife. "We can only wait until the flows slow down. We had a big heavy spring (of rain) here."

Lewandowski said the EPA is testing to determine the river's metal levels and results should be returned by mid-Friday.

Animas River fouled by 1 million gallons of contaminated mine water - The Denver Post

Don't you feel so much better that the EPA is "testing the water" ??? What land borders that river? How much acreage is gonna be polluted with heavy metals for a millenium.. Where's the Congressional hearings? The demands for a "clean-up"..

Does the EPA think those heavy metals are gonna STAY in the river bed.

Environment
The Denver Post

Don't you feel so much better that the EPA is "testing the water" ??? What land borders that river? How much acreage is gonna be polluted with heavy metals for a millenium.. Where's the Congressional hearings? The demands for a "clean-up"..

Assuming that the EPA is responsible for this single spill, how many spills have been prevented by the EPA and how many spills have corporations caused?

The EPA was only formed because of corporate pollution so it isn't as though corporations were "good citizens" and didn't harm the environment and cleaned up after themselves. (That only happens in Libertarian Utopialand where unicorns fart milk and honey. ;) )

Seriously, the EPA does have to deal with this spill but it was the for profit mine that was digging up those heavy metals in the first place, not the EPA.

So is there any point here somewhere, or it is just an excuse for yet another rightwing sulkfest about the EPA?

How many folks are getting fired? Who's gonna pay damages and cleanup?

It's ALMOST a sulkfest, but I'd describe it more as outrage at how little consequence there will be for this incompetence..

BTW -- for the USMB staff geologists -- what is Yellow like that in mining tailings? Sulphur?

Environment
The Denver Post

Assuming that the EPA is responsible for this single spill, how many spills have been prevented by the EPA and how many spills have corporations caused?

The EPA was only formed because of corporate pollution so it isn't as though corporations were "good citizens" and didn't harm the environment and cleaned up after themselves. (That only happens in Libertarian Utopialand where unicorns fart milk and honey. ;) )

Seriously, the EPA does have to deal with this spill but it was the for profit mine that was digging up those heavy metals in the first place, not the EPA.

Last mining spill I was sad about was the coal ash dam collapse here in Tenn. But then -- that was a TVA plant (govt cousins and all) and it's STILL not cleaned up.. Fact is -- even without the accidents, the Federal Govt is by far one of this nation's biggest polluters.. IT gets away with storing thousands of leaking barrels of radioactive waste from it's weapons plants and just shuffling them around. There are bulldozers on those sites that are more radioactive than Chernobyl.. And nobody seems to care about kicking them in the ass and getting the FEDS to clean up their own messes...

So is there any point here somewhere, or it is just an excuse for yet another rightwing sulkfest about the EPA?
Sulkfest. Nvm that if the EPA had been around when the mine that caused the contamination was active, it would never have been able to operate in the first place and this couldn't then have happened.

And maybe -- we couldn't have had a space program or an aerospace industry that depends on supplies of rare materials. Oh WAIT -- that's what happening NOW.. When all our "rare metals" are coming from Asia because of regulation and harrassment of mining operations..

How many folks are getting fired? Who's gonna pay damages and cleanup?

It's ALMOST a sulkfest, but I'd describe it more as outrage at how little consequence there will be for this incompetence..

BTW -- for the USMB staff geologists -- what is Yellow like that in mining tailings? Sulphur?

Sulfer, limonite, and carnotite are the most common in that area. Especially sulfer which will be the top most layer of a supergene enrichment. The limonite would be the source of the gossen cap that the old miners would have used to determine where to dig.

Forum List

Back