How Much Should We Fine Them per day ???

The EPA Toxic spill is worse than the BP Oil spill in 2010. It certainly affect far more people's health.

That's totally delusional. The river is already almost back to its normal badly polluted state.

And the state and locality will still actively fight being declared a superfund site, thus getting the money to start clean it up properly. They've been fighting a proper cleanup for decades, as they think it would interfere with tourism. That's what caused the mess.

The WATER may be, but heavy metals enter the sediment, and unlike petroleum products, these do not degrade via biological action, but usually only oxidize.

Crude oil also contains heavy metals!

:cuckoo:

Not in the concentrations found in mine wastes. plus, as crude oil is not miscible in water, the metals tend to stay in globs of oil, with only minimal transfer via the oil-water interface.

Mine waste is usually aqueous based, which means the dissolved and non dissolved metals can move freely in the substrate, and any non-dissolved metals can settle into the sediment far more easily.

The oil was biodegraded thus releasing all of the heavy metals into the ocean to become part of the food chain and thus ingested by humans.

They were probably released slowly, and in a far more dispersed pattern than you will see deposited in a river. Also, it's not that metals are present that causes an issue, its the concentration, so the small amounts of metals in the oil, spread out over a large area, and released slowly into the aqueous substrate, is not the same as the metals being added to this river via sedimentation and precipitation due to the mine water release.

That's totally delusional. The river is already almost back to its normal badly polluted state.

And the state and locality will still actively fight being declared a superfund site, thus getting the money to start clean it up properly. They've been fighting a proper cleanup for decades, as they think it would interfere with tourism. That's what caused the mess.

The WATER may be, but heavy metals enter the sediment, and unlike petroleum products, these do not degrade via biological action, but usually only oxidize.

Not in the concentrations found in mine wastes. plus, as crude oil is not miscible in water, the metals tend to stay in globs of oil, with only minimal transfer via the oil-water interface.

Mine waste is usually aqueous based, which means the dissolved and non dissolved metals can move freely in the substrate, and any non-dissolved metals can settle into the sediment far more easily.

The oil was biodegraded thus releasing all of the heavy metals into the ocean to become part of the food chain and thus ingested by humans.

They were probably released slowly, and in a far more dispersed pattern than you will see deposited in a river. Also, it's not that metals are present that causes an issue, its the concentration, so the small amounts of metals in the oil, spread out over a large area, and released slowly into the aqueous substrate, is not the same as the metals being added to this river via sedimentation and precipitation due to the mine water release.

Exactly. I bet mammy has no idea that there is uranium and plutonium in seawater as well. People swim in it all the time and so far no one has died from plutonium poisoning which, if mammy were correct, would be happening all the time given the lethality of plutonium heavy metal poisoning.

SNIP:
awmakers Keep Heat on EPA After Massive Wastewater Spill
Colorado Senator requests oversight hearings; Arizona representative questions expanded EPA water authority

BY: Lachlan Markay
August 11, 2015 5:30 pm

The Environmental Protection Agency apologized on Tuesday for leaking millions of gallons of wastewater into a Colorado river, but members of Congress from both parties say the agency needs to do more.

Sen. Cory Gardner (R., Colo.) acknowledged EPA’s admission of responsibility in a Tuesday statement but said that the agency has not been sufficiently cooperative with Congress. He called for congressional hearings to investigate the matter.

“Although the EPA has finally acknowledged the magnitude of the crisis, its ongoing lack of communication and coordination must be rectified,” Gardner said. “The local communities and industries that rely on the river for their livelihoods deserve transparency, accountability, and an explanation that is far-past due.”

EPA chief Gina McCarthy on Tuesday acknowledged her agency’s role in the spill, which poured an estimated 3 million gallons of toxic waste into the Animas and San Juan rivers.

“It is really a tragic and very unfortunate incident, and EPA is taking responsibility to ensure that that spill is cleaned up,” McCarthy said.

Gardner said her response was wanting. “It’s outrageous, reckless, and unacceptable that it’s been seven days since the EPA released three million gallons of toxic waste into the Animas River and the federal agency still has few answers.”

The freshman senator added that he is “requesting congressional oversight hearings to examine the EPA’s insufficient response and to ensure that the EPA is held to the same recovery standards as the private sector.”

In a separate letter sent on Tuesday evening, Gardner, Sen. Michael Bennet (D., Colo.), and Rep. Scott Tipton (R., Colo.) asked McCarthy to quickly develop and share a plan to mitigate environmental damage, and dispatch “a full emergency response team” to the area.

EPA workers triggered the massive wastewater spill while investigating an abandoned gold mine near Silverton, Colorado, last week. Contaminated waters now contain high levels of arsenic, lead, and other heavy metals.

Gardner, Bennett, and Tipton asked McCarthy to visit the area and meet with affected residents in yet another letter on Tuesday.

“Local residents, recreationalists, and business owners need to know that EPA will commit to a full cleanup of the accident and work to ensure the full environmental and economic recovery of the affected area,” they wrote.

Even members of Congress from surrounding states are voicing concern that their constituencies could be affected and asking the EPA pointed questions about its role in triggering the Animas spill.

ALL of it here:
Lawmakers Keep Heat on EPA After Massive Wastewater Spill Washington Free Beacon

So let me get this straight: we're supposed to completely destroy our economy in order to affect a potential miniscule change in global temps based on a spurious model, but it's perfectly copacetic for the Government to poison a hundred miles of river and surrounding areas with concentrations of toxic metals...because, well, Government!

The EPA accidentally caused the spill, reports say

Besides the single sentence in the link that the OP used where is the evidence that the EPA actually caused the spill?

Well before the fines and jail sentencing is handed out -- we can confirm all that right??

Absolutely!

But even the EPA has the right to the presumption of innocence given that the media doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to getting the facts right.
Funny how Exxon and BP were tried in the media and found guilty but the fucking idiots in the government get a pass
Well we know this is always the case. The State and their media will always protect the State and attack private enterprise whenever possible. Sadly many Americans are so brainwashed they can't see the double standard.

And you WILL see all that happen guys.. The media is not going out of their way to search out "experts" that will scare the public into believing that 3 American river systems are gonna be polluted for DECADES because of this event. The media would work themselves up into a sweaty frenzy declaring Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, and Mexico disaster sites with heavy metal pollution hazards lasting for 1000s of years..

TRUTH IS -- the NATURAL level of heavy metals in those waterways is ALREADY naturally high. And the media would be wrong in both cases. But there is no question, they'd pull a hernia trying to lynch a private party polluter in a case like this...

Animas River Massive Waste Spill Turns River Orange

A Massive Waste Spill Turned This River in Colorado Orange
Maya Rhodan @m_rhodan Aug. 6, 2015

Jerry McBride—Durango Herald

Mine waste from the Gold King Mine north of Silverton fills the Animas River at Bakers Bridge on Aug. 6, 2015 in Durango, Colo.

About 1 million gallons of mine waste spilled into a Colorado waterway on Wednesday, turning the water bright orange and prompting officials to warn residents to avoid recreational use of the Animas River.

San Juan County health officials say the Environmental Protection Agency and the state Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety were investigating

another contamination when they “unexpectedly triggered a large release of mine waste water into the upper portions of Cement Creek.” Cement Creek is a tributary of the Animas River.

animas-river-mine-waste-water-jpeg.jpg
Well, I would hope some people lost their jobs unless this was completely and provably unavoidable.

By all means lets fine the EPA

and use the money for environmental cleanups

I want to see them put their field operations under a Federal Corporation. That way folks would be sued and fired for negligience and incompetence. The EPA should be out there cleaning up GOVERNMENT waste sites like Hanford, Savannah River and military installations. Fixing TVA issues. They have their OWN messes since the Feds are one of the largest and most egregious polluters in the nation..

Mine waste from the Gold King Mine north of Silverton fills the Animas River at Bakers Bridge on Aug. 6, 2015 in Durango, Colo.

About 1 million gallons of mine waste spilled into a Colorado waterway on Wednesday, turning the water bright orange and prompting officials to warn residents to avoid recreational use of the Animas River.

San Juan County health officials say the Environmental Protection Agency and the state Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety were investigating

another contamination when they “unexpectedly triggered a large release of mine waste water into the upper portions of Cement Creek.” Cement Creek is a tributary of the Animas River.

Well, I would hope some people lost their jobs unless this was completely and provably unavoidable.

This was a totally avoidable situation.

I think I saw pictures today of the containment ponds they built. There were liners and such involved,, but it looked to me like one good thunderstorm would have taken out the lips of those ponds..

I believe you're right.. Time to get your waders on and go work for the locals that will have to deal with the aftermath...

I think I saw pictures today of the containment ponds they built. There were liners and such involved,, but it looked to me like one good thunderstorm would have taken out the lips of those ponds..

I believe you're right.. Time to get your waders on and go work for the locals that will have to deal with the aftermath...

As is typical with government workers, they did the absolute minimum figuring that to do it correctly would take too much time. My company would be in deep shit had i done this, but they are safe from harm.

Incompetence is always rewarded in the government it seems.

When it comes to the EPA, humans are not perfect.

When it comes to BP (and the private sector), humans are perfect.

:fu: the EPA, and BLM.

When it comes to the EPA, humans are not perfect.

When it comes to BP (and the private sector), humans are perfect.

:fu: the EPA, and BLM.

If you remember in the BP case,, you had Govt agencies signing off on waivers to allow them to speed up the drilling. And there have been several coal mine disasters where Fed inspectors had shut them down 10 or 12 times in the recent past and ALWAYS let them resume operation. Usually right before a LARGE number of miners die..

The presence of these minders is NOT a great solution to preventing these unfortunate accidents.

Obama's EPA screwing over the native Americans

(Washington Times) – The EPA is trying to cheat Navajo Indians by getting them to sign away their rights to future claims from the agency’s Gold King Mine disaster, tribal officials charged Wednesday, adding more to the administration’s public relations problems over the spill that threatens critical Southwest waterways.

Environmental Protection Agency officials were going door to door asking Navajos, some of whom don’t speak English as their primary language, to sign a form that offers to pay damages incurred so far from the spill, but waiving the right to come back and ask for more if their costs escalate or if they discover bigger problems, Navajo President Russell Begaye told The Washington Times.

“It is underhanded. They’re just trying to protect their pocketbook,” Mr. Begaye said in a telephone interview
The claim forms EPA officials were distributing on the Navajo reservation ask locals to estimate a dollar amount they can attribute to property damage, personal injury or wrongful death. The form warns that failing to total up the claim “may cause forfeiture of your rights.”

Mr. Begaye said many of the Navajo involved are elderly and speak Navajo as their primary language. As a result, they may have a difficult time understanding the forms and may feel pressed by the EPA to sign quickly.

He said the situation is all the more enraging because the EPA has acknowledged that the cleanup will take decades yet is pushing for Navajo to calculate their costs now and sign away their rights for the future.

- See more at: Navajo EPA Trying to Swindle Indians in Mine Spill - Tea Party News

Lakhota

JRoc ---> You'll never get Lahkota to read the "Tea Party Times". Not even for news on screwing the Indians (again)..
:biggrin:

Ok I'll try this..:up:

The EPA is trying to cheat Navajo Indians by getting them to sign away their rights to future claims from the agency’s Gold King Mine disaster, tribal officials charged Wednesday, adding more to the administration’s public relations problems over the spill that threatens critical Southwest waterways.

Environmental Protection Agency officials were going door to door asking Navajos, some of whom don’t speak English as their primary language, to sign a form that offers to pay damages incurred so far from the spill, but waiving the right to come back and ask for more if their costs escalate or if they discover bigger problems, Navajo President Russell Begaye told The Washington Times.

Indians say EPA trying to swindle them in mine spill - Washington Times

Lakhota

get rid of the epa

So when your home value and that of your neighbors is wiped out because a corporation in the neighboring state dumps toxic waste into the water table that kills off all living plants for a hundred miles what are you going to do?
Sue them.

exactly

what a bunch of helpless assholes

You can'
get rid of the epa

So when your home value and that of your neighbors is wiped out because a corporation in the neighboring state dumps toxic waste into the water table that kills off all living plants for a hundred miles what are you going to do?

bs you and your helpless mentality sometimes it is really just a laugh you dumb fuckers

So now you are denying the reality that corporations dump toxic wastes into the environment?

get rid of the epa

Sue them.

You don't have standing to sue because you don't live in the same state as the corporation so you are SOL as far as suing goes.

what a stupid thing to say

Forum List

Back