How Much Should We Fine Them per day ???

Animas River Massive Waste Spill Turns River Orange

A Massive Waste Spill Turned This River in Colorado Orange
Maya Rhodan @m_rhodan Aug. 6, 2015

Jerry McBride—Durango Herald

Mine waste from the Gold King Mine north of Silverton fills the Animas River at Bakers Bridge on Aug. 6, 2015 in Durango, Colo.

The EPA accidentally caused the spill, reports say

About 1 million gallons of mine waste spilled into a Colorado waterway on Wednesday, turning the water bright orange and prompting officials to warn residents to avoid recreational use of the Animas River.

San Juan County health officials say the Environmental Protection Agency and the state Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety were investigating

another contamination when they “unexpectedly triggered a large release of mine waste water into the upper portions of Cement Creek.” Cement Creek is a tributary of the Animas River.

animas-river-mine-waste-water-jpeg.jpg
No thanks Congress and the GOP candidates, all who want to get rid of EPA

So is there any point here somewhere, or it is just an excuse for yet another rightwing sulkfest about the EPA?
Sulkfest. Nvm that if the EPA had been around when the mine that caused the contamination was active, it would never have been able to operate in the first place and this couldn't then have happened.

Ok --- that's nonsense.

The mine was closed in 1923! At that time, arsenic was a standard medical treatment.

Environment
Animas River fouled by 1 million gallons of contaminated mine water
EPA accidently releases water; Durango residents warned to cut back on water use as health officials evaluate river
By Jesse Paul and Bruce Finley
The Denver Post

Posted: 08/06/2015 11:27:26 AM MDT | Updated: about 8 hours ago

DURANGO — A spill that sent 1 million gallons of wastewater from an abandoned mine into the Animas River, turning the river orange, set off warnings Thursday that contaminants threaten water quality for those downstream.

The Environmental Protection Agency confirmed it triggered the spill while using heavy machinery to investigate pollutants at the Gold King Mine, north of Silverton.

Health and environmental officials are evaluating the river as it flows through San Juan and La Plata counties. They said the wastewater contained zinc, iron, copper and other heavy metals, prompting the EPA to warn agricultural users to shut off water intakes along the river and law officials to close the river to recreational users.

People kayak in the Animas River near Durango on Thursday in water colored from a mine waste spill. (Jerry McBride, The Durango Herald)
"There's nothing that can be done to stop the flow of the river," said Joe Lewandowski, a spokesman for Colorado Parks and Wildlife. "We can only wait until the flows slow down. We had a big heavy spring (of rain) here."

Lewandowski said the EPA is testing to determine the river's metal levels and results should be returned by mid-Friday.

Animas River fouled by 1 million gallons of contaminated mine water - The Denver Post

Don't you feel so much better that the EPA is "testing the water" ??? What land borders that river? How much acreage is gonna be polluted with heavy metals for a millenium.. Where's the Congressional hearings? The demands for a "clean-up"..

Does the EPA think those heavy metals are gonna STAY in the river bed.

Assuming that the EPA is responsible for this single spill, how many spills have been prevented by the EPA and how many spills have corporations caused?

The EPA was only formed because of corporate pollution so it isn't as though corporations were "good citizens" and didn't harm the environment and cleaned up after themselves. (That only happens in Libertarian Utopialand where unicorns fart milk and honey. ;) )

Seriously, the EPA does have to deal with this spill but it was the for profit mine that was digging up those heavy metals in the first place, not the EPA.

The commercial industry contained the problem for 25 years, and then, the EPA decides to get involved and creates the spill. If that isn't incompetence, we need to redefine the word

who would ever want to point out the utter incompetence of the EPA, the one that consumed $8.2 trillion in 2014?

:wtf:

Don't you mean a measly $8.2 BILLION?

If the EPA had spent $8.2 TRILLION in 2014 then the current debt would be around $26 trillion. :eek:

Besides the single sentence in the link that the OP used where is the evidence that the EPA actually caused the spill?

Well before the fines and jail sentencing is handed out -- we can confirm all that right??

Absolutely!

But even the EPA has the right to the presumption of innocence given that the media doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to getting the facts right.
Funny how Exxon and BP were tried in the media and found guilty but the fucking idiots in the government get a pass

Besides the single sentence in the link that the OP used where is the evidence that the EPA actually caused the spill?

Well before the fines and jail sentencing is handed out -- we can confirm all that right??

Absolutely!

But even the EPA has the right to the presumption of innocence given that the media doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to getting the facts right.
Funny how Exxon and BP were tried in the media and found guilty but the fucking idiots in the government get a pass
Well we know this is always the case. The State and their media will always protect the State and attack private enterprise whenever possible. Sadly many Americans are so brainwashed they can't see the double standard.

By all means lets fine the EPA

and use the money for environmental cleanups

get rid of the epa

So when your home value and that of your neighbors is wiped out because a corporation in the neighboring state dumps toxic waste into the water table that kills off all living plants for a hundred miles what are you going to do?

get rid of the epa

So when your home value and that of your neighbors is wiped out because a corporation in the neighboring state dumps toxic waste into the water table that kills off all living plants for a hundred miles what are you going to do?
Sue them.

You don't have standing to sue because you don't live in the same state as the corporation so you are SOL as far as suing goes.

The EPA Toxic spill is worse than the BP Oil spill in 2010. It certainly affects far more people's health.

And note an interesting similarity: Obama is vacationing in Martha's Vineyard, the BP CEO went sailing. The BP CEO was forced to resign. We should hold Obama to the same standard.

This situation proves ONCE AGAIN, that the Federal Government is too big to succeed.

Last edited:
The EPA Toxic spill is worse than the BP Oil spill in 2010. It certainly affect far more people's health.

That's totally delusional. The river is already almost back to its normal badly polluted state.

And the state and locality will still actively fight being declared a superfund site, thus getting the money to start cleaning it up properly. They've been fighting a proper cleanup for decades, as they think it would interfere with tourism. That's what caused the mess.

Last edited:
The EPA Toxic spill is worse than the BP Oil spill in 2010. It certainly affect far more people's health.

That's totally delusional. The river is already almost back to its normal badly polluted state.

And the state and locality will still actively fight being declared a superfund site, thus getting the money to start clean it up properly. They've been fighting a proper cleanup for decades, as they think it would interfere with tourism. That's what caused the mess.

You are a hypocritical apologist. If this spill had been caused by the private sector, you loons would have formed a Tweet Mob to lynch the CEO by now.

And the state and locality will still actively fight being declared a superfund site, thus getting the money to start clean it up properly. They've been fighting a proper cleanup for decades, as they think it would interfere with tourism. That's what caused the mess.

The WATER may be, but heavy metals enter the sediment, and unlike petroleum products, these do not degrade via biological action, but usually only oxidize.

The EPA Toxic spill is worse than the BP Oil spill in 2010.

Rofl.gif

You shouldn't bogart those joints you are smoking! :smoke:

The BP spill covered 68,000 square miles of ocean and could be seen from space.

780px-Deepwater_Horizon_oil_spill_-_May_24%2C_2010_-_with_locator.jpg

How many people relied on DRINKING and IRRIGATION water from that area?

But keep apologizing and covering up for Obama's Malfeasance. The people who live in that area and are not getting answers will remember in 2016.

Forum List

Back