How Much Should We Fine Them per day ???

BP got off scott free(very small payout) considering the damage they did. I say if the EPA is to blame then the EPA pays out to the max. Environmental disasters are easily avoided so when they happen they should be punished as much as possible. No excuse for this.

"How Much Should We Fine Them per day ???"

The fails as a false comparison fallacy, in addition to being ignorant and ridiculous.

So you say..... How much we owe you Counselor for the "ignorant and ridiculous" part?

Was it a negligent act resulting in severe breach of the law? Does a Fed Agency have immunity from it's own laws? SHOULD THEY? And who gets the bill for all the collateral damages in this case? Seems to me every property owner that has contact with that river --- now has cause to sue..
first, was it an accident or was it intentional? Was it done to save money, and make the agency more profit by dumping this waste?

Was it unintentionally negligent or an accident?

My answer would be NO, it was not intentional dumping of hazardous waste...it was no where in their plans to do such. The EPA hired LOCALS to do this job...the Feds did not make this mistake and accidentally opened up the waste cap, the Local Epa made the mistake or a Local company they hired privately made the mistake....at least this is what the article is saying....

Agree that ultimately the EPA is responsible for who they hire to do a job....

but this IS NOT, IN ANY WAY equivalent to a Company intentionally dumping it's toxic waste for mere 'ease of doing it vs disposing of it in the proper way", in to the Penobscot River, poisoning our Lobster and crabs with mercury, killing the Lobster and crab business in the upper Penobscot Bay because the Lobster/crabs are toxic and our State has had to put a ban on fishing in the region, putting many out of work...and their livelihoods changed.... this is what we are going through now up here...and i don't think you can fairly say that intentional dumping of toxic waste is the same as an accident causing the dumping of toxic waste....though the end result, the ruining of a natural or human environment could be equally as damaging....

The EPA is ultimately at fault in Colorado etc, even though it was LOCALS that made the mistake and caused the ACCIDENT....so they in turn should be held accountable for the clean up, coming out of their budget and any financial liabilities for citizens that lose their livelihood due to the accident...all that means is that "we the people" with our taxes, will be responsible.

that's kinda how I view it...

The fails as a false comparison fallacy, in addition to being ignorant and ridiculous.

So you say..... How much we owe you Counselor for the "ignorant and ridiculous" part?

Was it a negligent act resulting in severe breach of the law? Does a Fed Agency have immunity from it's own laws? SHOULD THEY? And who gets the bill for all the collateral damages in this case? Seems to me every property owner that has contact with that river --- now has cause to sue..
first, was it an accident or was it intentional? Was it done to save money, and make the agency more profit by dumping this waste?

My answer would be NO, it was not intentional dumping of hazardous waste...it was no where in their plans to do such. The EPA hired LOCALS to do this job...the Feds did not make this mistake and accidentally opened up the waste cap, the Local Epa made the mistake or a Local company they hired privately made the mistake....at least this is what the article is saying....

but this IS NOT, IN ANY WAY equivalent to a Company intentionally dumping it's toxic waste for mere 'ease of doing it vs disposing of it in the proper way", in to the Penobscot River, poisoning our Lobster and crabs with mercury, killing the Lobster and crab business in the upper Penobscot Bay because the Lobster/crabs are toxic and our State has had to put a ban on fishing in the region, putting many out of work...and their livelihoods changed.... this is what we are going through now up here...and i don't think you can fairly say that intentional dumping of toxic waste is the same as an accident causing the dumping of toxic waste....though the end result, the ruining of a natural or human environment could be equally as damaging....

The EPA is ultimately at fault in Colorado etc, even though it was LOCALS that made the mistake and caused the ACCIDENT....so they in turn should be held accountable for the clean up, coming out of their budget and any financial liabilities for citizens that lose their livelihood due to the accident...all that means is that "we the people" with our taxes, will be responsible.

Show me where "locals" made this mistake...

Let's clear up this "locals did it" stuff..

Durango blindsided by EPA s accidental toxic spill into Animas River The Colorado Statesman

EPA Region 8 administrator Shaun McGrath took responsibility for the accident in a Saturday press call, insisting that the agency was to blame and not the independent contractors working alongside agency employees when the orange goo was unleashed into Cement Creek from the Gold King Mine.

He also said he did not know the name of the general contractor hired by the EPA.

“Although I don’t have the name yet, I do want to be clear here: our folks, EPA employees, were on the site and directing the contractor work, and EPA takes responsibility for what happened up there,” McGrath said. “I just want to be clear on that point.”

There were four workers present Wednesday morning when they accidentally released 1 million gallons of wastewater at about 10:40 a.m. Wednesday from the abandoned, inactive mine near Silverton. Even so, the EPA did not contact local, state or regional officials for another day.

You don't blame the bulldozer driver --- you blame the site managers and engineers..

BTW -- Found this gem...

Animas River spill How Colorado s Gold Medal waters turned mustard - CSMonitor.com

She notes that this debacle and the broader problem it highlights could encourage support for federal legislation that protects so-called good Samaritans from liability during efforts to clean up old mining sites. These would include nonprofit groups who might want to help undertake cleanup efforts, but who have been discouraged by the EPA with warnings that, in essence, said, "you didn't break it, but you're going to own it," if something goes wrong during remediation efforts, Kohler says.

That's the crux of the outrage right there. A week ago the EPA would have jumped up the ass of ANY contractor who had "an accident" like this.. Today --- maybe not so much...

Show me where "locals" made this mistake...
give me a bit, i need to retrace my steps to find the article!

oh, you found an article mentioning it? What I read was from the Christian Science Monitor, I believe?

Looks like a good day for all the people who hate green energy, think global climate change is a hoax, and who believe God gave them the earth to exploit any way they choose.
EPA spill turns Animas River in Colorado a toxic orange - CNN.com
This poor bastard blames it on the right.
well he believes there never should have been mines and man shouldn't exist. Meaning he shouldn't exist. Seems that way doesn't it with his thought process?

it's called negligence. I know that's a big word, and you most probably have to look up the definition.

It's poor planning, poor listening and an accident indeed. They were warned and went forward, that's negligent to not listen to those who know what is what and the risks.

Where was the planning and the risk assessment? Where was the what if plan? Normal companies do that.

it's called negligence. I know that's a big word, and you most probably have to look up the definition.

It's poor planning, poor listening and an accident indeed. They were warned and went forward, that's negligent to not listen to those who know what is what and the risks.

Where was the planning and the risk assessment? Where was the what if plan? Normal companies do that.
As said already, the EPA is at fault and is financially responsible for this accident, which means, we the people, will pay all damages and for the clean up. They are legally exempt from criminal charges, by law/rules and regs if an accident occurs by them or their contractors... IF in the process of cleaning up 'another man's mess', from what I have read.

As said already, the EPA is at fault and is financially responsible for this accident, which means, we the people, will pay all damages and for the clean up. They are legally exempt from criminal charges, by law/rules and regs if an accident occurs by them or their contractors... IF in the process of cleaning up 'another man's mess', from what I have read.
Does it also say that can't be fired?

Does it also say that can't be fired?
nope...i think the regional/local EPA admin based in Denver, who took responsibility, could most certainly be fired from their admin position...after a hearing.

Then perhaps when the EPA goes out into the field and wings it on its own -- they ought to have a separate "Federal Corporation" like the TVA that will assume the liability outright for any negligence. It's "field operations" ought to have the same accountability as anyone else performing such touchy operations..

Lord knows the Feds have massive messes of their own that have NEVER been truly cleaned up..

Durango blindsided by EPA s accidental toxic spill into Animas River The Colorado Statesman

EPA Region 8 administrator Shaun McGrath took responsibility for the accident in a Saturday press call, insisting that the agency was to blame and not the independent contractors working alongside agency employees when the orange goo was unleashed into Cement Creek from the Gold King Mine.

He also said he did not know the name of the general contractor hired by the EPA.

“Although I don’t have the name yet, I do want to be clear here: our folks, EPA employees, were on the site and directing the contractor work, and EPA takes responsibility for what happened up there,” McGrath said. “I just want to be clear on that point.”

There were four workers present Wednesday morning when they accidentally released 1 million gallons of wastewater at about 10:40 a.m. Wednesday from the abandoned, inactive mine near Silverton. Even so, the EPA did not contact local, state or regional officials for another day.

You don't blame the bulldozer driver --- you blame the site managers and engineers..

BTW -- Found this gem...

Animas River spill How Colorado s Gold Medal waters turned mustard - CSMonitor.com

She notes that this debacle and the broader problem it highlights could encourage support for federal legislation that protects so-called good Samaritans from liability during efforts to clean up old mining sites. These would include nonprofit groups who might want to help undertake cleanup efforts, but who have been discouraged by the EPA with warnings that, in essence, said, "you didn't break it, but you're going to own it," if something goes wrong during remediation efforts, Kohler says.

That's the crux of the outrage right there. A week ago the EPA would have jumped up the ass of ANY contractor who had "an accident" like this.. Today --- maybe not so much...

Unlike corporations that deny any responsibility the EPA openly came forward and acknowledged their culpability.

Too bad we don't see that happening in the corporate world when they screw up which happens all the time.

BTW -- Found this gem...

Unlike corporations that deny any responsibility the EPA openly came forward and acknowledged their culpability.

Too bad we don't see that happening in the corporate world when they screw up which happens all the time.

Too bad we don't get that from the IRS or the HHS or Homeland Security eh???

BTW -- Found this gem...

I must be getting old but I am having a really hard time recalling when the IRS or the HHS or Homeland Security turned a river orange!

;)

BTW -- Found this gem...

I must be getting old but I am having a really hard time recalling when the IRS or the HHS or Homeland Security turned a river orange!

;)

No, what they have done is far worse. The EPA did indeed take the blame and kudo's to the man for doing so. I can also gurantee you that his career is over.

Forum List

Back