How sexy is classical music?

People here would be surprised to know that the Sunni Man is a connoisseur of classical orchestra music, and an aficionado of antique violins and bows.

I especially like violin concertos by the great masters.

I have one granddaughter that is the violin concert master at her middle school. And a younger granddaughter who in her first year of violin lessons.

Although this is a modern work, I'm sure that you will enjoy it
Jeremiah.

Ann Fontanella plays it beautifully.....and there is a nice tutorial on the screen about the piece. .... :cool:

Last edited:
People here would be surprised to know that the Sunni Man is a connoisseur of classical orchestra music, and an aficionado of antique violins and bows.

I have one granddaughter that is the violin concert master at her middle school. And a younger granddaughter who in her first year of violin lessons.

Although this is a modern piece, I'm sure that you will enjoy it Jeremiah. .... :cool:

Isn't it interesting that we both thought of the same piece of music and posted it at almost the exact same time? Had you not wrote this we would have posted it at the exact same time - I believe. I appreciate your taste in classical music, Sunni man. I also enjoyed your spontaneous sense of humor in the typewriter piece. You continue to surprise me! I love it! :)

Good night, Sunni.

You'll appreciate that my selection - Shindler's List is played on a Stradavarius. Make sure to listen to it!

It's violins and cellos for me.

Although this is a modern work, I'm sure that you will enjoy it

There needs to be more modern works, and more modern arrangements of older music as well. They shouldn't be afraid of using new technologies, either; the piano is a relatively recent 'invention', and I don't recall many composers running away from that innovation or any of the new processes for making woods and strings that came along and produced some new tones and sounds, either.

[QUOTE="Jeremiah, post: 14099526, member: 40845"

You'll appreciate that my selection - Shindler's List is played on a Stradavarius. Make sure to listen to it![/QUOTE]

Hopefully one day they will finally figure out what an original Strad sounded like, given how great some of the patched up and frequently repaired ones sound.

Nobody ever cares about classical music. It seems you can't use it to get a girl. It goes even in a geek category, I guess. But I made an experiment, and I decided to play to my classmates the Chopin's Barcarolle. Guess what they all liked it, and one of the girls who I didn't think would ever look my direction, decided to go out with me. So, here is the question, why only my piano teacher hammers about practicing classical, and nobody else cares?

One of my favorite violinists from the old days below. I wore out dozens of records listening to music like this when I was a kid, including thousands of hours on mostly violin, including many many lessons. I had no talent but could fool some into thinking I did. The Liberace show was a good inspiration. Not much worthwhile on t.v. nowadays. Bugs the hell out of me to see today's kids on these phones, ipads ipods etc.

Very few people realize that communist North Korea has a 1st rate symphony orchestra that has played concerts in both Europe and the US.

This is the DPRK national orchestra playing the "Arirang",

Which is a traditional folksong loved by both north and south Koreans; and considered the unofficial national anthem of Korea.

PoliticalChic

Last edited:
Great stuff, people.

Which modern labels are noted for their high quality recordings and production values? I find the classical music recordings to be all over the place in those areas, and I don't have much of an idea which labels to avoid. So many of them make one feel ripped off when I get them home and start playing them, while others are excellently done. Few of them seem to go in for the high density formats, in any case, which is weird, given that classical and especially chamber music are about the only genres that really benefit from multi-channel high density mastering.

I'll post a list of modern labels for you post-dinner.

Nobody ever cares about classical music. It seems you can't use it to get a girl. It goes even in a geek category, I guess. But I made an experiment, and I decided to play to my classmates the Chopin's Barcarolle. Guess what they all liked it, and one of the girls who I didn't think would ever look my direction, decided to go out with me. So, here is the question, why only my piano teacher hammers about practicing classical, and nobody else cares?

Hello, Classical and Opera have been my main obsessions since I was about 12 years-old, especially Germanic Classical and Opera and Italian Opera....I like other musical genres also, I hate any Mainstream music and have a particular loathing of Pop Music.

Anyhow, I often post Classical pieces in my "What Are You Listening To?" thread, usually with a short write-up as to the nature of the composition, when it was first performed etc.

So you're very welcome, if you so wish, to post any Classical in my thread, here's the link to my thread....also if you ever want to discuss any Classical and Opera, then I'm up for that also.

What are you listening to?

My very first post in my above thread, I posted:

Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5, Allegro" composed by Bartók in 1934.

The last two pieces that I've posted have been:

Franz Liszt "Élégie No. 2, S.197, S. 131bis" composed by Liszt in 1877.

Johannes Brahms "Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 77, III. Allegro giocoso, ma non troppo vivace – Poco più presto (D major)" composed by Brahms in 1878.

As I stated, I post Classical pieces in my own music thread, so I'm just copying and pasting some that I've already posted in my thread now in this thread, along with the short write-up's that I do to accompany the posts....the Bartók is the shortest write-up, this was from my OP, when I wasn't sure if a longer write-up would bore people.

Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5"

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Franz Liszt wrote two arrangements for "Élégie No. 2, S.197", "S. 131" is for piano and cello and "S. 131bis" is for piano and violin.

This performance is from Constantino Catena on piano and Mauro Tortorelli on violin.

Johannes Brahms "Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 77, III. Allegro giocoso, ma non troppo vivace – Poco più presto (D major)"

This is Johannes Brahms only Violin Concerto, he composed it in 1878 and dedicated it to his friend Josef Joachim, who was a great Hungarian conductor, composer and one of the most important violinists of the 19th Century.

The première of "Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 77" was held in Leipzig on January 1st, 1879 and was conducted by Josef Joachim....the more significant première was held in Vienna and was jointly conducted by Hans Guido Freiherr von Bülow and Josef Hellmesberger Sr.

Hans Guido Freiherr von Bülow, was Franz Liszt's Son-in-Law, he married Cosima Liszt in 1857 (Cosima divorced him in 1870 and married Richard Wagner), he was certainly the most important conductor of the 19th Century, along with Ludwig II, he was instrumental in putting Richard Wagner and his music on the map.

Hello, Classical and Opera have been my main obsessions since I was about 12 years-old, especially Germanic Classical and Opera and Italian Opera....I like other musical genres also, I hate any Mainstream music and have a particular loathing of Pop Music.

Anyhow, I often post Classical pieces in my "What Are You Listening To?" thread, usually with a short write-up as to the nature of the composition, when it was first performed etc.

So you're very welcome, if you so wish, to post any Classical in my thread, here's the link to my thread....also if you ever want to discuss any Classical and Opera, then I'm up for that also.

What are you listening to?

My very first post in my above thread, I posted:

Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5, Allegro" composed by Bartók in 1934.

The last two pieces that I've posted have been:

Johannes Brahms "Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 77, III. Allegro giocoso, ma non troppo vivace – Poco più presto (D major)" composed by Brahms in 1878.

As I stated, I post Classical pieces in my own music thread, so I'm just copying and pasting some that I've already posted in my thread now in this thread, along with the short write-up's that I do to accompany the posts....the Bartók is the shortest write-up, this was from my OP, when I wasn't sure if a longer write-up would bore people.

Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5"

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Franz Liszt wrote two arrangements for "Élégie No. 2, S.197", "S. 131" is for piano and cello and "S. 131bis" is for piano and violin.

This performance is from Constantino Catena on piano and Mauro Tortorelli on violin.

Johannes Brahms "Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 77, III. Allegro giocoso, ma non troppo vivace – Poco più presto (D major)"

This is Johannes Brahms only Violin Concerto, he composed it in 1878 and dedicated it to his friend Josef Joachim, who was a great Hungarian conductor, composer and one of the most important violinists of the 19th Century.

The première of "Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 77" was held in Leipzig on January 1st, 1879 and was conducted by Josef Joachim....the more significant première was held in Vienna and was jointly conducted by Hans Guido Freiherr von Bülow and Josef Hellmesberger Sr.

Hans Guido Freiherr von Bülow, was Franz Liszt's Son-in-Law, he married Cosima Liszt in 1857 (Cosima divorced him in 1870 and married Richard Wagner), he was certainly the most important conductor of the 19th Century, along with Ludwig II, he was instrumental in putting Richard Wagner and his music on the map.

Igor Stravinsky "Movements for Piano and Orchestra" written in 1958 during Stravinsky's Serial Period which began in 1954 and was completed in 1968.

Krzysztof Penderecki "Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima" composed in 1960 for 52 string instruments. Krzysztof Penderecki is one of Poland's greatest Contemporary Classical composers.

Here it says "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima", which is incorrect, it's "Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima"

The composition is 8 minutes and 38 seconds in duration.

Jean Sibelius "Preludium: Andante (ma non troppo)" from his "Finlandia, Op. 26" tone poem, written in 1899 and revised in 1900.

"Finlandia" is one of the great emotionally stirring pieces of music, majestic and sublime and dramatic.

The première of "Finlandia" was on 2nd July, 1900 in Helsinki with The Helsinki Philharmonic Society conducted by Robert Kajanus, who himself was Finland's most prominent composer pre-Jean Sibelius.

The film that accompanies this 9 minute and 36 seconds of "Preludium: Andante (ma non troppo)" is:

"Wild Scandinavia / Wildes Skandinavien".

Made in 2011 and directed by Oliver Goetzl with cinematography from Ivo Nörenberg, and features wonderful wild creatures in the Finnish wilderness, like the wild lynx, Goldeneye chicks, bears and wolves....precious creatures that we need to protect.

Forum List

Back