How sexy is classical music?

Nobody ever cares about classical music. It seems you can't use it to get a girl. It goes even in a geek category, I guess. But I made an experiment, and I decided to play to my classmates the Chopin's Barcarolle. Guess what they all liked it, and one of the girls who I didn't think would ever look my direction, decided to go out with me. So, here is the question, why only my piano teacher hammers about practicing classical, and nobody else cares?

Robert Schumann "Op. 41, no. 3 in A major" (Second Movement: Assai agitato)

Composed in 1842 "Op. 41, Three String Quartets in A minor, F and A major", it's absolutely sumptuous and divine.

This is performed by The Manfred Quartet.

As well as being a prolific composer of the Romantic Era, Schumann was also a well-known music critic. The majority of his writings appeared in Die Neue Zeitschrift für Musik - The New Journal of Music - which he founded in 1834 and published by Schott Musik of Mainz, Schott still publish Die Neue Zeitschrift für Musik to this day.

Schott Musik is the oldest music publishing house in Europa, and the second oldest music publishing house in the world.

Nobody ever cares about classical music. It seems you can't use it to get a girl. It goes even in a geek category, I guess. But I made an experiment, and I decided to play to my classmates the Chopin's Barcarolle. Guess what they all liked it, and one of the girls who I didn't think would ever look my direction, decided to go out with me. So, here is the question, why only my piano teacher hammers about practicing classical, and nobody else cares?

Picaro I hope you like this from Jóhann Jóhannsson, it's exceptional stuff, as he's a Minimalist composer, it takes a few minutes to get going, but once it does, well as I said, it's exceptional stuff.

Jóhann Jóhannsson "Ef Ég Hefði Aldrei..." from his album "Englabörn" released in 2002 on Touch Records. It's beautiful stuff.

Jóhann Jóhannsson is a Minimalist, Neo-Classical composer from Reykjavík, Iceland.

Arvo Pärt "Ludus: Con moto" from his 1977 double concerto "Tabula Rasa", containing two movements "Ludus" and "Silentium", for two solo violins, prepared piano and chamber orchestra. It's very beautiful and inspiring stuff.

Arvo Pärt is a great Estonian composer.

I. "Ludus: Con moto"

II. "Silentium: Senza moto"

FYI: She isnt going out with you because of your music tastes. You're worth it. Project it and believe it and she'll love it

People here would be surprised to know that the Sunni Man is a connoisseur of classical orchestra music, and an aficionado of antique violins and bows.

I especially like violin concertos by the great masters.

I have one granddaughter that is the violin concert master at her middle school. And a younger granddaughter who in her first year of violin lessons.

Although this is a modern work, I'm sure that you will enjoy it
Jeremiah.

Ann Fontanella plays it beautifully.....and there is a nice tutorial on the screen about the piece. .... :cool:

Speaking of bows, I still have a pair of three star Grunkes, one round, one octagon. Not sure how fine they are considered, but I sold a Grunke 3 star in the 80's for around a grand, hope they are holding their price or even better yet going up in value. My fiddle since childhood was bought from Faussauer Ferron, it's old enough to have a lengthened neck and grafted scroll, better known as a pre paganini era fiddle, so I've heard. It was appraised for seven or eight grand back in the 70's. Again, hope it's gone up in value. Lousy spelling and caps, bad keyboard. Anyway, thanks for posts, don't meet too many afficianados anymore since music shops became a thing of the past.

Speaking of bows, I still have a pair of three star Grunkes, one round, one octagon. Not sure how fine they are considered, but I sold a Grunke 3 star in the 80's for around a grand, hope they are holding their price or even better yet going up in value. My fiddle since childhood was bought from Faussauer Ferron, it's old enough to have a lengthened neck and grafted scroll, better known as a pre paganini era fiddle, so I've heard. It was appraised for seven or eight grand back in the 70's. Again, hope it's gone up in value. Lousy spelling and caps, bad keyboard. Anyway, thanks for posts, don't meet too many afficianados anymore since music shops became a thing of the past.
Nice fiddle and bows.....wished I owned them. ...... :thup:

European violins have somewhat stagnated in price because of the influx of value priced Chinese violins. But the price of European bows has risen because of the shortage of instrument grade pernambuco wood.

I have been living in Boston where there are several good sized fine quality violin shops. Skinners auction house holds an instrument auction a couple of times per year. I could spend hours and hours there just looking at everything, from obscure luthiers violins and bows, to muliti-million dollar Strads and Guarneri's, being offer for sale.

And of course there is the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

The rising niche market is in older turn of the century 1880 - 1920's American made violins. Boston, New York, and Chicago, had several 1st rate violin makers who's instruments could rival anything the Europeans had to offer. A few years ago the price of American violins was dirt cheap. But now they have doubled and even tripled in price. Although, currently they are still a bargain for savvy collectors looking for an investment grade violin. ....... :cool:

[QUOTE="Jeremiah, post: 14099526, member: 40845"

You'll appreciate that my selection - Shindler's List is played on a Stradavarius. Make sure to listen to it!

Hopefully one day they will finally figure out what an original Strad sounded like, given how great some of the patched up and frequently repaired ones sound.[/QUOTE]
The video I posted has to be clicked twice (inside it has a link to connect directly to youtube) and it is a Strad that appears to be in mint condition. The sound is night and day from other violins. You can tell the difference.

Hello, Classical and Opera have been my main obsessions since I was about 12 years-old, especially Germanic Classical and Opera and Italian Opera....I like other musical genres also, I hate any Mainstream music and have a particular loathing of Pop Music.

Anyhow, I often post Classical pieces in my "What Are You Listening To?" thread, usually with a short write-up as to the nature of the composition, when it was first performed etc.

So you're very welcome, if you so wish, to post any Classical in my thread, here's the link to my thread....also if you ever want to discuss any Classical and Opera, then I'm up for that also.

What are you listening to?

My very first post in my above thread, I posted:

Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5, Allegro" composed by Bartók in 1934.

The last two pieces that I've posted have been:

Franz Liszt "Élégie No. 2, S.197, S. 131bis" composed by Liszt in 1877.

Johannes Brahms "Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 77, III. Allegro giocoso, ma non troppo vivace – Poco più presto (D major)" composed by Brahms in 1878.

As I stated, I post Classical pieces in my own music thread, so I'm just copying and pasting some that I've already posted in my thread now in this thread, along with the short write-up's that I do to accompany the posts....the Bartók is the shortest write-up, this was from my OP, when I wasn't sure if a longer write-up would bore people.

Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5"

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Franz Liszt "Élégie No. 2, S.197, S. 131bis" composed by Liszt in 1877.

Franz Liszt wrote two arrangements for "Élégie No. 2, S.197", "S. 131" is for piano and cello and "S. 131bis" is for piano and violin.

This performance is from Constantino Catena on piano and Mauro Tortorelli on violin.

Johannes Brahms "Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 77, III. Allegro giocoso, ma non troppo vivace – Poco più presto (D major)"

This is Johannes Brahms only Violin Concerto, he composed it in 1878 and dedicated it to his friend Josef Joachim, who was a great Hungarian conductor, composer and one of the most important violinists of the 19th Century.

The première of "Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 77" was held in Leipzig on January 1st, 1879 and was conducted by Josef Joachim....the more significant première was held in Vienna and was jointly conducted by Hans Guido Freiherr von Bülow and Josef Hellmesberger Sr.

Hans Guido Freiherr von Bülow, was Franz Liszt's Son-in-Law, he married Cosima Liszt in 1857 (Cosima divorced him in 1870 and married Richard Wagner), he was certainly the most important conductor of the 19th Century, along with Ludwig II, he was instrumental in putting Richard Wagner and his music on the map.

Igor Stravinsky "Movements for Piano and Orchestra" written in 1958 during Stravinsky's Serial Period which began in 1954 and was completed in 1968.

checking the quote feature on here - test.. test...test... lol! It works!

I love classical music and love Tchaikovsky and my first love was a Classical Music Cello player and one of the fewest females in our school to ever play that instrument...

I love classical music and love Tchaikovsky and my first love was a Classical Music Cello player and one of the fewest females in our school to ever play that instrument...

Classical music is Heavenly and wonderful.... I also love classical music! :2up:

Sexy? in my opinion is not.

Sex and classical music is like.....I don't know...like water and oil.

Of course I can be wrong, it's only my opinion. :)

Malaguena - Michael Lucarella Classical Spansih guitar is always sexy

Forum List

Back