How Sisi empowers the likes of ISIS

The clumsy nature of Cairo's crackdown has actually benefitted the likes of ISIS,

https://www.the-newshub.com/politics/cairos-clumsy-heavy-handedness
But that's not how President Obama's administration see things.

Obama restores US military aid to Egypt over Islamic State concerns

"Egypt to receive $1.3bn in annual military funding after arms freeze imposed after 2013 overthrow of democratically elected president is lifted."

Now for $1.3 billion in US military aid a year, any military dictator will pursue policies which sustain and recruit terrorists, on the one hand, so that they can claim for US military aid to crack down on the same terrorists they have been recruiting, on the other hand.

For Sisi, as it was for Pakistan's military dictator, General Musharraf, the question is

• NOT "how do I defeat terrorists?"
but
  • IS "how do I keep the US military aid money flowing into my military budget?"

In Pakistan, this leads to the Pakistani military intelligence hosting top terrorist leaders like Al Qaeda's Bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri, running training camps for jihadi terrorists, supplying terrorists with weapons, indoctrinating terrorists with radical jihadi seminaries, 9/11 etc.

Whether Sisi's game is quite so doubled-sided as the Pakistani military high command I don't know and if it was, the Egyptian military would certainly not admit to it.

What the Egyptian military can't deny
  • Egyptian authorities released the Egyptian Ayman al-Zawahiri from an Egyptian prison who now leads Al-Qaeda
  • the pro-terrorist TV channel, al-Zawraa, supporting attacks on US soldiers in Iraq was broadcast on Egypt's state satellite - Nilesat
What I do know is that it is wrong to assume that Sisi's primary aim is to defeat terrorism. It's not. His agenda is to enhance the military dictatorship tradition from which his rule springs and he does that better if he can make a case for US military aid and having a terrorist "problem" to point to, to make a show of fighting, is his number one requirement to demonstrate to the fools in the CIA and NSA.

Therefore I think that the CIA or NSA have made a terrible mistake in advising to resume military aid to Egypt, though ultimately the decision is the President's and the buck stops with Obama.

So what instead should be the approach which I would advocate?

STRATEGY TO DEFEAT ISIS

1) Overall strategy - the West needs to apply the Bush Doctrine to all state-sponsors of terrorism - Saudi Arabia & other Gulf monarchies, Pakistan, Yemen, Egypt, Sudan, Iran and other dictator states - regime change them all.

2) Use stand off techniques more robustly - such as seizing control over state-sponsor-of-terrorism satellite-TV broadcasting (often supplied to Arab and North African state broadcasters by European satellite TV companies) and turning that propaganda weapon around and using it to promote democratic revolution through-out the region.

3) Impose the West as sole agents for all oil tanker export sales out of the Gulf. Seize all oil tankers exporting oil and sell the oil, depriving regimes of oil profits.

4) Now once you have an overall strategy in place, then you can look at specific military actions. Bombing prestige regime targets or threatening to if Al Baghdadi's head is not a spike within 48 hours.

5) Partition Iraq. Looks like it has to go three ways - Shia, Sunni & Kurds. If the 3 new states all want to join up together in an Iraq confederacy or union of some kind of their own free will, that's fine too.

6) Establish Western military bases in Iraq for training up the local armies. Better if we can supply them by sea or air rather than by long land routes which can have supply routes attacked by road side bombs and ambushes.

Supreme Allied Condista
by Supreme Allied Condista on US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Last edited:

Forum List

Back