How stupid are people on the left?

It is so frustrating with the left sometimes because how do you have a rational argument if people can't even tell the difference between a true statement and one that is not true.
Well, I don't attach intelligence to hardcore partisan ideology. I think they're mutually exclusive.

Perfectly intelligent people can allow themselves to become hardcore partisan ideologues.

In fact, I'd argue it takes a reasonably good foundational intelligence to so quickly and consistently come up with the spin, distortion, deflection and outright lies so common with hardcore partisan ideologues. Such behavior requires a certain level of intellectual elasticity all by itself.

I don't know about that because if you really believe what you are saying is the truth and you don't lie then how do you not be hardcore about what you believe. In your mind it would be a completely accurate statement so why would you say anything other than what you believe is true? Wouldn't we all be kind of hardcore about what we believe at that point?
It's in the purity of "the Truth", which is one of the ways to identify someone who has convinced themselves that their ideology alone is the right one. When I see someone saying that they "speak the Truth", or that someone else doesn't know "the Truth", then I know I'm dealing with someone who is intellectually constrained by binary thought processes. They have convinced themselves that they have a vice-like grip on "the Truth", and anyone who disagrees with them does not.

Life isn't binary. It doesn't fit on a bumper sticker. It's complicated.

We really should have vice like grip on the truth since having a vice like grip on anything else is a vice-like grip on something that isn't the truth. Do you think people should embrace a lie?
If both ends on an argument are convinced they have The Truth on their side, which one is right?

Your question implies they both can't be right at the same time since we are asking which ONE is right. This means that there has to be a true and false between them. Which one that is is up to us to decide.

Well, I don't attach intelligence to hardcore partisan ideology. I think they're mutually exclusive.

Perfectly intelligent people can allow themselves to become hardcore partisan ideologues.

In fact, I'd argue it takes a reasonably good foundational intelligence to so quickly and consistently come up with the spin, distortion, deflection and outright lies so common with hardcore partisan ideologues. Such behavior requires a certain level of intellectual elasticity all by itself.

I don't know about that because if you really believe what you are saying is the truth and you don't lie then how do you not be hardcore about what you believe. In your mind it would be a completely accurate statement so why would you say anything other than what you believe is true? Wouldn't we all be kind of hardcore about what we believe at that point?
It's in the purity of "the Truth", which is one of the ways to identify someone who has convinced themselves that their ideology alone is the right one. When I see someone saying that they "speak the Truth", or that someone else doesn't know "the Truth", then I know I'm dealing with someone who is intellectually constrained by binary thought processes. They have convinced themselves that they have a vice-like grip on "the Truth", and anyone who disagrees with them does not.

We really should have vice like grip on the truth since having a vice like grip on anything else is a vice-like grip on something that isn't the truth. Do you think people should embrace a lie?
If both ends on an argument are convinced they have The Truth on their side, which one is right?

Your question implies they both can't be right at the same time since we are asking which ONE is right. This means that there has to be a true and false between them. Which one that is is up to us to decide.
Agreed! And reasonable people will come to different conclusions, based on their perspective.

That means that even the interpretation of The Truth is subjective. So to paint The Truth as having only one possible meaning simply doesn't work.

Agreed!

It is so frustrating with the left sometimes because how do you have a rational argument if people can't even tell the difference between a true statement and one that is not true.

If you believe truth is a vice, you're essentially saying good is evil.

And how do you retain a vise-like grip on something fluid?

Humans once believed the Sun revolved around the Earth. That was their truth at the time. Is it still your truth today?

Agreed! And reasonable people will come to different conclusions, based on their perspective.

That means that even the interpretation of The Truth is subjective. So to paint The Truth as having only one possible meaning simply doesn't work.

Rashomon.

If you believe truth is a vice, you're essentially saying good is evil.

And how do you retain a vise-like grip on something fluid?

Humans once believed the Sun revolved around the Earth. That was their truth at the time. Is it still your truth today?

The sun never did revolve around the earth. That is a true statement. People who thought otherwise in the past were wrong.

Yo
I was just watching Judge Judy's telling everyone she thinks that Bernie Sanders believes he is telling the truth. THat is an accurate statement but believing you are telling the truth and actually telling the truth are two different things. Despite this the audience cheered as if she was saying Bernie is telling the truth. Don't people know the fucking difference?

Why are you watching judge Judy, and why do you think her audience is relevant?

I didn't say I was watching Judge Judy.

Oh, my bad. I thought that's what you meant when you wrote " I was just watching Judge Judy ...."

WHat you are saying if two people are haveing an argument and one is telling the truth and the other is not telling the truth two observers can be watching it and come up with two different opinions on which is which. Wouldn't this mean that each is telling the truth and an a lie at the same time. How is that possible?

WHat you are saying if two people are haveing an argument and one is telling the truth and the other is not telling the truth two observers can be watching it and come up with two different opinions on which is which. Wouldn't this mean that each is telling the truth and an a lie at the same time. How is that possible?
If one person is lying in a conversation, and they know they're lying, then that's it.

What I'm saying is that many people are telling the truth as they see it. They are personally convinced that they are being honest. I suspect - literally - that political partisans regularly talk themselves into things that a reasonable person knows are not true. But if they really believe it, they're not lying.

There's a thread on this board that contends that a lot of left-leaning Americans are actually Communists. There's another thread that contends that personal income taxation above 50% equates to slavery. Slavery! After communicating with those posters, I think it's really possible that they have convinced themselves that what they're saying is "The Truth". At least I can't get them to budge in the slightest.

And, of course, the same stuff happens all over the political spectrum, such as the "Trump is a Nazi" stuff. That's what I'm talking about.

I was just watching Judge Judy's telling everyone she thinks that Bernie Sanders believes he is telling the truth. THat is an accurate statement but believing you are telling the truth and actually telling the truth are two different things. Despite this the audience cheered as if she was saying Bernie is telling the truth. Don't people know the fucking difference?
Hardcore partisan ideologues allow their perceptions to be distorted, including talking themselves into believing anything that supports their ideology. They do this by (a) constantly repeating the same general talking points, (b) exposing themselves largely to opinions that agree with their own, and (c) actively shutting out opposing ideas.

In other words, it appears they really do believe what they're saying, at least at some level.

Both ends.

I was pointing out that believing you are telling the truth and actually repeating something that is true are two different things.
Agreed!

LMAO This applies to the right as well. You obviously don't get the point of what Judge Judy was saying. It applies to everyone. You are just as biased as anyone else. All right wingers are just as biased and irrational as anyone else. Thinking it is just the left that is believing what they want to believe is a perfect example that your perceptions are just as skewed as anyone's. It is a human trait, not an exclusively left or right wing trait. You yourself exemplify this point by starting this thread. But you're too dim to get it.

Last edited:
Hardcore partisan ideologues allow their perceptions to be distorted, including talking themselves into believing anything that supports their ideology. They do this by (a) constantly repeating the same general talking points, (b) exposing themselves largely to opinions that agree with their own, and (c) actively shutting out opposing ideas.

In other words, it appears they really do believe what they're saying, at least at some level.

Both ends.

I was pointing out that believing you are telling the truth and actually repeating something that is true are two different things.
Agreed!

Its only frustrating to you because from what i have seen you have no clue what the truth is.

This is kind of revealing...
This thread is revealing a lot about you....that's what you don't realize.

Democrats don't know the difference. If they were smart they wouldn't be Democrats.

Agreed!

There are few, if any, universal truths. Truth and fact are extremely difficult to pin down. Often, what is truth and fact from one perspective is not so from another. Truths and facts, outside of the hard sciences, are most often debatable.

Live television audiences are prompted when to applause. I don't believe you understand how a show like the Late Show works.

How stupid? Go back and read Grubers' words he declared numerous times as he refered to gullible liberals who lapped up Obama's lies about the ACA.

Politicians NEVER tell the truth. They are all LIARS.

Deal with it.

Yo

Why are you watching judge Judy, and why do you think her audience is relevant?

I didn't say I was watching Judge Judy.
Yes you did. What did I tell you about your tenuous grasp on the truth?

I was just watching Judge Judy's telling everyone she thinks that Bernie Sanders believes he is telling the truth.

it's so funny when someone as stupid a troll as you are calls others stupid.

troll. :cuckoo:

WHat you are saying if two people are haveing an argument and one is telling the truth and the other is not telling the truth two observers can be watching it and come up with two different opinions on which is which.

"Wouldn't this mean that each is telling the truth and an a lie at the same time. How is that possible?"

It's not.

The problem is that certain posters (cough-Mac-Cough) have a palpable fear of actually choosing a side....no matter which is lying and which is telling the truth.
For them (him), equivalency is more important than rectitude.

Forum List

Back