How to Prevent "Red X Abuse"

House

Opinionated Ass
Nov 1, 2012
I know many people like the ability to Disagree a post, and I understand why it was taken out. I also understand the motivation behind members that abused the button, and I have a way to counter that motive on an individual basis while still allowing posts to be disagreed with by the click of a button.

Change the Red X from Neutral to Positive. Job Done.

"Enemy" posters aren't going to contribute to somebody's reputation that they don't like by going around boosting all of their posts with a Red X, but people can still click the button to rack up an easy to tally "Disagree" score on an unpopular post.

There's no need to put me on the payroll, admin... I consider these helpful tips my service to society to offset my trollish ways. ;)

I suggest that the redex be delinked from reputation. That stops the game of trying to wipe out a person's reputation but still allows a person to note disapproval. Your suggestion to enhance reputation is novel. That might actually work to stop the abuse but still allow disapproval to be noted.

Hey, how about for every redex you give your own reputation takes a hit or link 10 greens to 1 red, thus limiting the redex wars?

In terms of symbolism, the color red and the shape X are both pretty loaded. Maybe an orange thumbs down won't have people acting like a bull in a bull ring facing a matodor with a redex cape.

Maybe a way to receive notices but opt out of redex notices? What you see can't hurt you.

I suggest that the redex be delinked from reputation. That stops the game of trying to wipe out a person's reputation but still allows a person to note disapproval. Your suggestion to enhance reputation is novel. That might actually work to stop the abuse but still allow disapproval to be noted.

Hey, how about for every redex you give your own reputation takes a hit or link 10 greens to 1 red, thus limiting the redex wars?

That'd be cute, but unlike my suggestion it would require a programmer to dedicate man hours to develop the code to support such a concept. :)

That'd be cute, but unlike my suggestion it would require a programmer to dedicate man hours to develop the code to support such a concept. :)

We can think of it like ammo in a shooting match or war. Ammo isn't free, right. There's always risk when you shoot at the other guy. Even in video games you have to run around and pick up ammo.

I just remembered, I said that any system will be gamed. This will result in people giving out a lot of agrees in order to build up their redex ammo stores for the coming apocalypse. Hey, people like getting positive rep though, so while the selfish bastards are stocking up with ammo they're also blowing sunshine up everyone's skirt and making them happy.

We can think of it like ammo in a shooting match or war. Ammo isn't free, right. There's always risk when you shoot at the other guy. Even in video games you have to run around and pick up ammo.

I just remembered, I said that any system will be gamed. This will result in people giving out a lot of agrees in order to build up their redex ammo stores for the coming apocalypse. Hey, people like getting positive rep though, so while the selfish bastards are stocking up with ammo they're also blowing sunshine up everyone's skirt and making them happy.

Yeah, but what you're continuing to overlook is the fact that such a toy would cost money to code, and I have major doubts that the benefit would be worth the expense.

Yeah, but what you're continuing to overlook is the fact that such a toy would cost money to code, and I have major doubts that the benefit would be worth the expense.

I was just having a flight of fancy. Now I've come back to hard reality. You're right, your solution is easy to implement.

I know many people like the ability to Disagree a post, and I understand why it was taken out. I also understand the motivation behind members that abused the button, and I have a way to counter that motive on an individual basis while still allowing posts to be disagreed with by the click of a button.

Change the Red X from Neutral to Positive. Job Done.

"Enemy" posters aren't going to contribute to somebody's reputation that they don't like by going around boosting all of their posts with a Red X, but people can still click the button to rack up an easy to tally "Disagree" score on an unpopular post.

There's no need to put me on the payroll, admin... I consider these helpful tips my service to society to offset my trollish ways. ;)

Sounds like the frick'n Minority Report, to me.

Forum List

Back