How To Save American Lives

Zeke-

I totally agree with you. I read the comments from gun supporters here and I just don't understand what they are talking about at all. I don't see the American government as a threat and I can't imagine why anyone would. I can't believe people would rather live in a country with 5,000 homicides a year and just accept that as the cost of "freedom". People in safer countries enjoy much greater freedoms than those people will ever know.

But I also think cultures can change, and right now there seems to be a bit of a sea change in America. It's like people have started to say that "Ok, that's enough now" and stand up to the NRA and the extremists. It can't happen fast enough.

Of course you don't see the US government like the gun nutters do. The government is their "cause". It is the reason that common sense gun controls won't fly. Because the nutters use the government as the boogie man and then the government becomes the reaon that we can't have sensible gun control.

And yes, the gun nutters would rather not have so many deaths by gun. But hey, if people don't want to stop killing each other, what's a gun nutter to do. But buy one more gun.

And there is no evidence that our gun culture will ever change to any appreciable degree.
No matter how many people or kids die.

And I can tell that you are sincere in wanting to understand what drives this attitude.
But it is not really something that even we Americans can explain. Or understand.

A lot of our gun attitude is based on fear. And you can't reason with a fearful person.

That's a flawed study and bogus comparisons. The US has significant "gang" murders that the other countries do not have. If you exclude gang related murders to compare similar populations, that would be a more accurate comparison.

Then again, we already know from the 1994 gun ban that gun control does not work.

How about trying "nut control" and "violent video game" control? Its not the gun that kills, its the psychopath.

If the other countries do not have gang related murders, why do you think this is? They do have gangs.

If they have gangs they have guns. Gun laws do not actually stop anyone from having guns, especially criminals.

Kyzr -

If they have gangs they have guns. Gun laws do not actually stop anyone from having guns, especially criminals.

This is very clearly not true.

It is not easy to acquire a weapon in the UK or Australia, hence the law has been effective. It would be harder in the US because of the land borders with Canada and Mexico, but it could still work.

That's a flawed study and bogus comparisons. The US has significant "gang" murders that the other countries do not have. If you exclude gang related murders to compare similar populations, that would be a more accurate comparison.

Then again, we already know from the 1994 gun ban that gun control does not work.

How about trying "nut control" and "violent video game" control? Its not the gun that kills, its the psychopath.

If the other countries do not have gang related murders, why do you think this is? They do have gangs.

Did you not see that I was replying to this person about gang related homicides?

Forum List

Back