Huckabee (R): time for churches to give up tax-exempt status

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Last edited:
Huckabee needs to get with the program. Churches shouldn't need to apply for tax exempt status since Congress is forbiden by law to pass laws concerning Church so it's illegal to tax them to begin with.

Fighting the government intrusion in that, is the first step to getting the Black Robe Regiment back again.

He can't be serious!

if the status is removed then the preachers can politick from the pulpits. I think he believes that will be a net gain for the Right. Right now its illegal to politick from the pulpits which I happen to agree with

He can't be serious!

if the status is removed then the preachers can politick from the pulpits. I think he believes that will be a net gain for the Right. Right now its illegal to politick from the pulpits which I happen to agree with

It may indeed be a net gain for the right but it would be a step backwards for the church.
Religion > Politics

Huckabee needs to get with the program. Churches shouldn't need to apply for tax exempt status since Congress is forbiden by law to pass laws concerning Church so it's illegal to tax them to begin with.

Fighting the government intrusion in that, is the first step to getting the Black Robe Regiment back again.

It is obviously not illegal to tax churches. It may be your opinion that the government should not, but the law (which determines what is or is not illegal) is pretty clear on this.

What is the "Black Robe Regiment"?

I see where you are going with this. So there should be zero tea party organizations with tax exempt status.

That'll happen about the time that the Indian Nations give up their sovereignty.

I understand what Uncle Huck is saying and I like the guy a lot, but that's more like a declaration of War than the service of God...

It is obviously not illegal to tax churches. It may be your opinion that the government should not, but the law (which determines what is or is not illegal) is pretty clear on this.

What is the "Black Robe Regiment"?

"Congress shall make no law". A tax is a law.

The Black Robe Regiment were the preachers prior and during the revolution who taught the people to live their faith and love liberty. Without them, there would have been no revolution.

I see where you are going with this. So there should be zero tea party organizations with tax exempt status.

What the heck does the Tea party have to do with anything?

Was it Lewis who wrote something like
When fascism comes to America it will come wrapped in the flag and carrying a Bible.
Think about it. Reagan was all about flag and Bible. The man tripled the debt and gave corporate America the keys to the US Treasury. For good measure Reagan turned the white trash element against their primary protection against corporate rule - labor unions.

Now a well known ReagaNUT Bible thumper wants Churches to become political clubs with two deities, nutballism and then God.

Interesting.

When fascism comes to America it will come wrapped in the flag and carrying a Bible.
Think about it. Reagan was all about flag and Bible. The man tripled the debt and gave corporate America the keys to the US Treasury. For good measure Reagan turned the white trash element against their primary protection against corporate rule - labor unions.

Now a well known ReagaNUT Bible thumper wants Churches to become political clubs with two deities, nutballism and then God.

Interesting.

Ive never seen Obama carrying a Bible. Dont see him caring much about the flag either.

Obviously, the quote is wrong.

Interesting.

Ive never seen Obama carrying a Bible. Dont see him caring much about the flag either.

Obviously, the quote is wrong.

Obama is what happens AFTER. Reagan set the stage. The halfwit cocksucker from Tejas passed the patriot and homeland acts. No question Obama is complicit, but only someone going straight to hell for lying won't happily admit the truth - that Obama inherited Reagan and Bush League programs and hasn't changed them.

Next.

Last edited:

Actually, churches don't apply for exempt status. Unlike any other type of 501 organization, a church which meets the definition of a church in the IRC is automatically considered a 501(c)(3) organization which is exempt from taxation as an entity (except for any "unrelated business income" and to which qualifying contributions are deductible by donors. In addition, there clergy are allowed to opt out of the Social Security system and the church may exclude itself from paying Social Security taxes on non-clergy church employees (who are then considered self-employed). Finally, members of a few religious groups are also exempted from Social Security taxes. The only required paperwork is that individuals claiming to opt-out of Social Security under the two provisions must file an election with the IRS.

It is indeed "illegal" to tax churches in the sense that by statute the are automatically considered tax exempt organizations. I would be interested in the reasons you seem not aware of this fact.

Also, it cannot be illegal for Congress to pass a law. That's what Congress and only Congress can do. I am aware of no provision of the Constitution that would make taxation of churches unconstitutional.

Last edited:

Actually, churches don't apply for exempt status. Unlike any other type of 501 organization, a church which meets the definition of a church in the IRC is automatically considered a 501(c)(3) organization which is exempt from taxation as an entity (except for any "unrelated business income" and to which qualifying contributions are deductible by donors. In addition, there clergy are allowed to opt out of the Social Security system and the church may exclude itself from paying Social Security taxes on non-clergy church employees (who are then considered self-employed). Finally, members of a few religious groups are also exempted from Social Security taxes. The only required paperwork is that individuals claiming to opt-out of Social Security under the two provisions must file an election with the IRS.

It is indeed "illegal" to tax churches in the sense that by statute the are automatically considered tax exempt organizations. I would be interested in the reasons you seem not aware of this fact.

Also, it cannot be illegal for Congress to pass a law. That's what Congress and only Congress can do. I am aware of no provision of the Constitution that would make taxation of churches unconstitutional.

I was kinda following you until the big problem in that last paragraph..

"Also, it cannot be illegal for Congress to pass a law."

What part of "Congress shall make NO LAW ...... " or ".... All other rights are reserved to the States and People respectively"

didn't you understand???

It's PATENTLY OBVIOUS that there are an INFINITE number of laws that Congress can't write. You've just been listening to Hillary and Barack a little too long.. Neither of them seem concerned about the specific language in the Constitution...

Last edited:

The First amendment.

Given his reasoning, the Repub party must be in biiig trouble demographically & he knows it.

Taxing everyone the same is not passing a law 'regarding the establishment of religion'.

Taxing everyone the same is not passing a law 'regarding the establishment of religion'.

So ----- let's end "non-profit" status?? Dot Com says his looking for "fairness"... Is that your primary quest now. Did you suddenly lose your Libertarian will to live?

Don't make me come over there and slap you into saneness.....
:eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back