Hurricane Milton

I hope every last person has the resources to evacuate and not come back for a good long while. This seems to be catastrophic. Houses are easily replaced. Luves arent.
If you stay, there is nothing you can do to save your house.

Get the HELL out

Thats about to really suck. COrrect me if I am wrong, but if they are forecast 12 foot surge does that mean a whole lot of the green is underwater?

The solid green is probably okay as far as surge. All the blue is underwater. 12 feet is roughly 3.6 meters. Someone from that area told me that a good chunk of the clearwater area has an elevation in the 30-40 foot above sea level range. They can always get a lot of non-surge intense rainfall causing inland flooding though. Kind of the more likely but suckier scenario for Tampa is that it comes in just to the north. The east side of hurricanes in the northern hemisphere is where all the OMFG winds happen. It could push the surge higher onto Tampa and be spinning tornadoes at the same time. They would probably be better taking the direct hit from the eye than getting the near miss like some of the tracks are suggesting will happen.

Creating a new category beyond 5 is just stupid and not needed. Those that know anything about hurricanes know anything at a 5 is going to wipe out the area it hits. It's just unimaginable mass destruction. I lived in NW FL most of my life and have been thru many hurricanes, with Ivan being the worst to hit that area.

3-mile bridge from Pensacola to Gulf Breeze - Waves destroyed the bridge and the semi below - half of it went in the bay.
View attachment 1023884

View attachment 1023889

View attachment 1023890

A friend of mine and her husband rent out vacation spots in Pensacola. When Ivan (which I think was "only" a Category 3 by then) hit we lost contact with them for days; turns out they evacuated and were fine, but the garage level of their stilt house was buried in six feet of sand. One of their rentals was damaged because the building it was in got hit by another building, which had been knocked off its foundation. I definitely remember the winds taking down the span of I-10 in your first pic as well.

You're right, there is no need for a Category 6. High-level hurricanes are nothing to be messed with.

Florida got hit head on with the most severe winds, rain, and destruction as Helen came ashore. But 2 days later all is fixed and going normal. Because they were prepared. Even ripping a gate off the hinges at the local city dump because DeSantis wanted trash removal 24/7 and the city employees locked the gate and went home.

FEMA doesn't work weekends.

They can't be bothered--they have their feelings to talk about, aka, DEI.

Forum List

Back