I agree with Joe Scarborough

So? Are non-profit hospitals exempt from regulations regarding medical practices, licensing, etc., just because they're non-profit? Is a credit union exempt from regulations regarding sound banking practices just because it's non-profit?

What makes you think Catholic Hospitals are giving substandard medical care? Do you have any understanding of the issues you are trying to discuss?

Are they required to comply with the same hospital regulations that non-Catholic hospitals are or not?

These are businesses that a religion is choosing to run in the US. When you choose to run a business in the US, you come under the same set of laws as everyone else running a business.
It's the idea of fair and equal treatment under the law.

Again, why are profit making businesses getting waivers and not the Church - who does more to help the most vulnerable Americans than those businesses do.

So? Are non-profit hospitals exempt from regulations regarding medical practices, licensing, etc., just because they're non-profit? Is a credit union exempt from regulations regarding sound banking practices just because it's non-profit?

What makes you think Catholic Hospitals are giving substandard medical care? Do you have any understanding of the issues you are trying to discuss?

The truth is quite the opposite. Some of the country's best hospitals are run by the Catholic Church. :eusa_angel:
And they're big right here in my home town...they are rated very good in thier care and follow up.

There is no law that prohibits a church from running a hospital. There is, however, a regulation that will not withstand court scrutiny that is attempting to do so.

No laws in a church hospital?

He clearly didn't say that. Now you're just twisting in the wind because you know you're losing this argument.

No one's come close to refuting anything I've said.

Besides, this does not require the Church to buy contraception for employees. It only makes contraception available as part of an employee's compensation for work.

Why does the Church pay its employees MONEY, when they can use that MONEY to buy contraceptives, or pay for an abortion for that matter?

What is the difference?

The truth is quite the opposite. Some of the country's best hospitals are run by the Catholic Church. :eusa_angel:
And they're big right here in my home town...they are rated very good in thier care and follow up.

That's no surprise to me. Catholics take their duty to provide these services very seriously. One in every six Americans needing hospital treatment receives it from one of our hospitals.

Our charities helps over 8 million Americans every year.

We give billions of dollars every year to help our fellow Americans. $5.7 in healthcare alone.

Our Charity was one of only 4 of the top 400 charities that increased its donations during the recession.

Catholics give an incredible amount to this country. We ask nothing in return... except that the government gets the hell out of our religious duty.

Let me repeat the question:

Are non-profit hospitals exempt from regulations regarding medical practices, licensing, etc., just because they're non-profit?

That was your claim, now elaborate on it. Prove it.

No laws in a church hospital?

He clearly didn't say that. Now you're just twisting in the wind because you know you're losing this argument.

Besides, this does not require the Church to buy contraception for employees. It only makes contraception available as part of an employee's compensation for work.

Why does the Church pay its employees MONEY, when they can use that MONEY to buy contraceptives, or pay for an abortion for that matter?

What is the difference?

If you don't understand the difference, I would suggest you are not of a sufficient intellectual level to discuss the topic.

I have never been in a Catholic Hospital that scared me, I have been in government run hospitals that had metal detectors and armed guards.

The question was are non-profits not subject to the same sets of rules that for-profit hospitals are,

simply because they're non-profit?

That's yes or no, or shut up.

Are non-profit hospitals exempt from regulations regarding medical practices, licensing, etc., just because they're non-profit?

Was not my claim. Idiot.

That's no surprise to me. Catholics take their duty to provide these services very seriously. One in every six Americans needing hospital treatment receives it from one of our hospitals.

Our charities helps over 8 million Americans every year.

We give billions of dollars every year to help our fellow Americans. $5.7 in healthcare alone.

Our Charity was one of only 4 of the top 400 charities that increased its donations during the recession.

Catholics give an incredible amount to this country. We ask nothing in return... except that the government gets the hell out of our religious duty.

And it's no wonder. They do wonderful work

Obama's regime is doing everything he can to destroy it in favour of Gubmint control.

He's bitten off more than he can chew, and has picked the wrong fight.

What is the difference?

If you don't understand the difference, I would suggest you are not of a sufficient intellectual level to discuss the topic.

There is no difference. If an employer gives an employee money for labor, the employee can buy contraceptives, pay for an abortion. If an employer gives an employee healthcare coverage in lieu of cash, the same could happen, depending on the coverage.

Compromise:

Let the churches modify the insurance coverage, provided they compensate the employees in cash for the value of the contraceptive coverage, or whatever other coverage they're bitching about.

I don't like the administration's stand on this. The issue is of course American tax dollars as the wedge. Bad decision by the government. This is what happens when state and church get involved. IMO, this is a case where the rights of the church supersede that of the state.

Let's also be real clear about the 'tax dollars' on this. In healthcare, for example, yes, the Church takes medicare and medicaid. But, it also meets a huge chunk of those costs itself - me, and my fellow Catholics, fund it. We contribute $5.7 billion dollars of our own money to our hospitals - who treat anyone - and our hospitals are often in the most deprived communities in the country. Without us, the US taxpayer would be funding that $5.7 billion.

And... that's just our hospitals.... you add up the billions that we put into social care, the billions into schools, and the billions into a bunch of other stuff... pretty soon, you're looking at a lot of money.

Do Americans really want the Church to walk away from those services? And take our money with us? Huh? Do ya? It's very simple math.... either we pay for it, or the taxpayer does. We're happy to pay for it... it's our Christian duty... but.... the price of that is that the country has to defend our First Amendment Right to practice our religion - including our Christian duty to care for our fellow man.

You have a right to your First Amendment Rights without having to spend a dime. This is a loser for the extremist obama. he should get those far left ear wigs outta his ear..

Was not my claim. Idiot.

Ah but yes it was:

We don't 'run businesses', we run non profits. The Church does not make money from our programs. It costs us money. Money that would otherwise have to come from the taxpayer.

You are clearly claiming that a non-profit is not a business. Which, in short, is retarded.

What is the difference?

There is no difference. If an employer gives an employee money for labor, the employee can buy contraceptives, pay for an abortion. If an employer gives an employee healthcare coverage in lieu of cash, the same could happen, depending on the coverage.

Compromise:

Let the churches modify the insurance coverage, provided they compensate the employees in cash for the value of the contraceptive coverage, or whatever other coverage they're bitching about.
WHY don't you just admit that your fight belongs in the purview of that they are based in religion, and YOU can't tolerate religion?

Let us get down to brass tacks here and dispense with the bullsqueeze you are dishing out to say it? :eusa_hand:

What is the difference?

Compromise:

We're not gonna compromise. We do not fund abortion. Period. End of conversation. Your government - out of my church.

We're already providing this country with massive amounts of support - we are second only to the government itself in providing care for the poor of America. You claim to be the ones who care about the poor... fucking prove it and support the Church's call for a waiver..... just like all those fucking for profit big businesses who didn't need to compromise.

This isn't a first amendment issue. This isn't a freedom of religion issue.

It's a freedom issue.

Forum List

Back