I am beginning to see real signs of a major recovery

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Earlier this year my business began to pick up considerably. Now I have bathroom remodels schwduled well into OOctober My phone rings nonstop and has for the last month or so. So much so that I have begun to consider calling Angieslist and asking them to pull my business profile fron the publics view.
I have spoken to several other contractors in related fields and they are reporting the same experience. The jobs aren't little bs jobs either. And to be honest I haven't seen this much demand since before the market crashed.

I HOPE it's real and not just some regional anomaly. If you're self employed have you noticed any substantial uptic in your business?

Last edited:
Earlier this year my business began to pick up considerably. Now I have bathroom remodels schwduled well into August. My phone rings nonstop and has for the last month or so. So much so that I have begun to consider calling Angieslist and asking them to pull my business profile fron the publics view.
I have spoken to several other contractors in related fields and they are reporting the same experience. The jobs aren't little bs jobs either. And to be honest I haven't seen this much demand since before the market crashed.

I HOPE it's real and not just some regional anomaly. If you're self employed have you noticed any substantial uptic in your business?

Would you happen to live near the D.C. area? :D

• Banned
Earlier this year my business began to pick up considerably. Now I have bathroom remodels schwduled well into August. My phone rings nonstop and has for the last month or so. So much so that I have begun to consider calling Angieslist and asking them to pull my business profile fron the publics view.

Nope. Kansas City. About 20 years ago I took a large cintract in DC. Stayed in Dale City and commuted. DC was FILTHY but Dale City was beautiful. Stayed for about 5 months.

I am seeing the same thing here.
Now, back in the late 80's there was a housing boom in NJ. Home prices were sometimes appreciating 100% in a year. People were buying homes and immediately placing back on the market without moving into them. Once the market crashed with the recession of 1990, the market dried up. Some years later, maybe 5 or so, most homeowners saw their values flat or even depreciate. SO they started updating and adding on. At that time the construction guys who were sitting on the couch, were back to work. Instead of building new homes, they were doing renovations and remodels.
Same thing is happening here. Another thing. Lost of guys who are in construction are getting into the restoration business. Mostly insurance work.

Nope. Kansas City. About 20 years ago I took a large cintract in DC. Stayed in Dale City and commuted. DC was FILTHY but Dale City was beautiful. Stayed for about 5 months.

Shoot I should've looked at your location! Sorry!

I go to Dale City twice a week to see a client and I like it a lot there. It's near enough to the hustle and bustle but the people there are much more about the land and outdoors rather than the malls and other trendy shopping places.

Darn and I just had a renter move out and need a bathroom redone :(

By the way, no it's a recovery in little pieces.
There are many industries still not seeing much more business than say 4-5 years ago.
Homes must be upgraded or renovated in order for them to be current for the market.
For example, people who want to sell, have to upgrade their kitchen or baths. They will eat the cost of the renovation/remodel just to avoid having to take a crappy offer on the home.

May I ask what is your business and what you do?
The store that I work at has been cutting hours left and right lately. I'm finally at 21.75 hours this week and they have me working in the liquor store on the 4th. Thats how badly they have cut hours.

By the way, no it's a recovery in little pieces.
There are many industries still not seeing much more business than say 4-5 years ago.
Homes must be upgraded or renovated in order for them to be current for the market.
For example, people who want to sell, have to upgrade their kitchen or baths. They will eat the cost of the renovation/remodel just to avoid having to take a crappy offer on the home.

To be fair most of my work isn't for resale customers or house flippers. I always ask them if that is their intention because of diminishing returns. Makes it much easier to help them with their budgets and designs.

May I ask what is your business and what you do?
The store that I work at has been cutting hours left and right lately. I'm finally at 21.75 hours this week and they have me working in the liquor store on the 4th. Thats how badly they have cut hours.

Middle to upper income home renovations. Mostly bathrooms.

I hope it's true and I hope the ten thousand new IRS agents scheduled to be hired under Obamacare don't get to carry guns.

Forum List

Back