I am beginning to see real signs of a major recovery

I think the market and main street have separated to an extent. If the markets are weaned off the printing press we should be fine. If it abruptly stops we're fucked.

The stock market has been performing well because businesses have been performing well, and they've been doing it by cutting back costs. Just imagine what is going to happen to the market once these companies actually see the opportunity to expand. They want to, and they have the funds in cash to do so. Once they see demand begin to increase, this economy is going to take off. A lot of our tax problems will be alleviated when this happens. It won't completely solve the large deficits, but it will change the picture drastically.

There are two things capitalistic economies tend to do. They expand or they don't, but they never stay stuck for too long a period of time. There are cycles and we are nearing the end of a very bad one. Now we can get ready for a fairly long expansion or growth cycle.
The stock markets are not performing "well"...They are on a sugar rush of fake money pumped in but the federal reserve. The point of QE I,II and III was to prop up the financial markets so as not to scare off investors. The numbers are not real.
In fact, the financial markets, especially the NYSE, AMEX and the NAZ all were leading indicators of the overall health of the US economy. No more. Those institutions exist in a parallel universe.

Don't bet against the market. It's going to double twice by 2025.

I have just visited my friends in NYC and everybody in small business is actually extremely worried - some haven't seen that much downward business even in 2008-09. Even restaurants are less busy. Some to the point of almost closing.
So no, people I know in business actually see everything to the worse.

That's strange. All the restaurants I goto usually involve a 30 minute wait or more for a table. I smell an agenda.

He is clearly embellishing. He probably heard about a restaurant doing badly...and there is his data.

http://www.sba.gov/sites/default/files/ny12.pdf

Restaurants as a whole are still struggling. People really cut back on eating out a few years ago, and it's not likely they are going to start eating out five nights a week again anytime in the future. While the economy has been fairly stagnant, consumers have been saving money and paying down debt. This is the calm before the storm. It's just history repeating itself. After bad economic times, we see good economic times until something changes and then we see bad economic times again. It's just a continuous cycle. The cycle is now heading toward growth again.

I have just visited my friends in NYC and everybody in small business is actually extremely worried - some haven't seen that much downward business even in 2008-09. Even restaurants are less busy. Some to the point of almost closing.

That's strange. All the restaurants I goto usually involve a 30 minute wait or more for a table. I smell an agenda.

Why?

Location, location, location.

What you ‘see’ and experience is totally local and has virtually nothing to do with the economics of the nation as a whole. There are areas (not may but a few) that really were not hurt by the break and other areas that were smashed. In that same light, there are going to be places that are not recovering or may not recover at all. That does not mean that you area is not recovering or the nation is not recovering – just that the locality was ill prepared for the comeback.

I work three jobs.

The first one is purchasing in manufacturing. That's been a bit slow, but that's because our primary customers are government agencies, and they are all cutting back.

Second one is as a retail representative on the weekends. That one is picking up quite a bit.

Third is my resume business, which has already exceeded the previous year.

Housing is coming back because the investors are out buying up all the cheap stuff. This is EXACTLY what should have happened since it tanked but stupid Obama and his stimulus crap slowed it down. If he let the free market handle this we would have been fine. Instead he had to butt in with his big dumbo ears and mess it up. There are bidding wars on the cheap stuff under 200 in many parts of the country. It will trickle up.

The stock market has been performing well because businesses have been performing well, and they've been doing it by cutting back costs. Just imagine what is going to happen to the market once these companies actually see the opportunity to expand. They want to, and they have the funds in cash to do so. Once they see demand begin to increase, this economy is going to take off. A lot of our tax problems will be alleviated when this happens. It won't completely solve the large deficits, but it will change the picture drastically.

There are two things capitalistic economies tend to do. They expand or they don't, but they never stay stuck for too long a period of time. There are cycles and we are nearing the end of a very bad one. Now we can get ready for a fairly long expansion or growth cycle.
The stock markets are not performing "well"...They are on a sugar rush of fake money pumped in but the federal reserve. The point of QE I,II and III was to prop up the financial markets so as not to scare off investors. The numbers are not real.
In fact, the financial markets, especially the NYSE, AMEX and the NAZ all were leading indicators of the overall health of the US economy. No more. Those institutions exist in a parallel universe.

Don't bet against the market. It's going to double twice by 2025.
I think your optimism is ill founded. Think about the astronomical rising debt, the student loan bubble, the continued printing of money, and what will happen when the interest on are debt raises - things are extremely volatile! Think about how much more Obama will damage our country in 3 1/2 more years - Obamacare nightmare. All the unforeseeable pending disasters! I think your living in la la land.

He is clearly embellishing. He probably heard about a restaurant doing badly...and there is his data.

http://www.sba.gov/sites/default/files/ny12.pdf

it is you who are embellishing. I stated that those are the words of the small business owners themselves

Earlier this year my business began to pick up considerably. Now I have bathroom remodels schwduled well into OOctober My phone rings nonstop and has for the last month or so. So much so that I have begun to consider calling Angieslist and asking them to pull my business profile fron the publics view.
I have spoken to several other contractors in related fields and they are reporting the same experience. The jobs aren't little bs jobs either. And to be honest I haven't seen this much demand since before the market crashed.

I HOPE it's real and not just some regional anomaly. If you're self employed have you noticed any substantial uptic in your business?

Another summer of recovery? Which model is this?

we are talking about different cities, don't we?

Earlier this year my business began to pick up considerably. Now I have bathroom remodels schwduled well into OOctober My phone rings nonstop and has for the last month or so. So much so that I have begun to consider calling Angieslist and asking them to pull my business profile fron the publics view.
I have spoken to several other contractors in related fields and they are reporting the same experience. The jobs aren't little bs jobs either. And to be honest I haven't seen this much demand since before the market crashed.

I HOPE it's real and not just some regional anomaly. If you're self employed have you noticed any substantial uptic in your business?

Another summer of recovery? Which model is this?

Dunno but I'm hoping it's for real this time.

There is no recovery from an untenable monetary system, 122 trillion in unfunded liabilities, and a budget deficit of 16 Trillion dollars created by a printing press that is backed by nothing tangible. You'd be some kind of fool to believe that this nation will last 20 more years.

We're Americans, we will be prosperous regardless of politics.

People still managed to survive and prosper in the soviet union and china. They had to jump through more political hoops of course but regardless of stalin, hitler, mussolini, kruschev, pol pot, moa, mugabee, or obozo free minded individuals will find prosperity in spite of such statist sociopaths.

I really wish people didn't have to tolerate such obstacles, but thanks to democrooks we do.

Looks like somebody's policies are working out eh?

Time to start building infrastructure, refund science and technology. This would really get the economy going! ;)

Followed by tax reform and a decrease in the corporate tax.

I don't think tossing more taxpayer money at companies like Solyndra is what rational people would suggest if the economy is in fact improving. Let the private market dictate which technologies emerge in the future, not Government bureaucrats giving Taxpayer funded kick backs to political contributors.

Whaddya think Gramps? Had enough from the sourpusses this Independence Day?

Good news is bad news for some.

Really?

You do realize that recovery is inevitable. That is simple economics. There was going to be an uptick no matter what short of someone nuking the nation (and we are talking actual weapons here). It interests me how anyone can claim ‘working policies’ when this is the longest down turn in history AFAIK and essentially the slowest recovery as well.

Where is the ‘working.’ Face it, something is broken, it is STILL broken and will continue to be broken as long as the only thing people look for is cheerleading the leader of choice. There is going to be another break, likely as bad as this one, and we will likely see the same bullshit oh look – MY guy happens to be in the hot seat atm so HE must be the reason that the economy recovered.

Really?

You do realize that recovery is inevitable. That is simple economics. There was going to be an uptick no matter what short of someone nuking the nation (and we are talking actual weapons here). It interests me how anyone can claim ‘working policies’ when this is the longest down turn in history AFAIK and essentially the slowest recovery as well.

Where is the ‘working.’ Face it, something is broken, it is STILL broken and will continue to be broken as long as the only thing people look for is cheerleading the leader of choice. There is going to be another break, likely as bad as this one, and we will likely see the same bullshit oh look – MY guy happens to be in the hot seat atm so HE must be the reason that the economy recovered.
Well you were happy to blame him while he was in the hot seat. Why not so much when things are looking up?

Really?

Well you were happy to blame him while he was in the hot seat. Why not so much when things are looking up?

I blame/commend him for what he has and has not done. You were happy to forgive him up until this point for the economy – why the change of heart?

Forum List

Back