I am beginning to see real signs of a major recovery

Earlier this year my business began to pick up considerably. Now I have bathroom remodels schwduled well into OOctober My phone rings nonstop and has for the last month or so. So much so that I have begun to consider calling Angieslist and asking them to pull my business profile fron the publics view.
I have spoken to several other contractors in related fields and they are reporting the same experience. The jobs aren't little bs jobs either. And to be honest I haven't seen this much demand since before the market crashed.

I HOPE it's real and not just some regional anomaly. If you're self employed have you noticed any substantial uptic in your business?

You are doing the "Anecdotal Flop" in that you are experiencing something positive that surveys like the below refute.

The latest misery index under the Obama administration is 10.5, according to NPA Services Inc.

The highest one-year misery index under President Barack Obama was 12.11,
and Obama's average has been 10.78.

The highest under Bush was 9.65 in 2008
and his average was 8.11.

The misery index under President Jimmy Carter
averaged 16.26, with a high of 20.76 in 1980.

Then President Ronald Reagan took over the index was 17.97, his highest.
If any president had an excuse to blame the previous administration, Reagan did.
Instead the misery index declined by 9.61 points to 9.57 end of 1988.

US Misery Index - Custom Index by year

41% of Small Businesses Froze Hiring Over ObamaCare
We were startled because we know that employers were concerned about the Affordable Care Act and the effects it would have on their business, but we didn’t realize the extent they were concerned, or that the businesses were being proactive to make sure the effects of the ACA actually were minimized,” said attorney Steven Friedman of Littler Mendelson. His firm, which specializes in employment law, commissioned the Gallup poll.

“If the small businesses’ fears are reasonable, then it could mean that the small business sector grows slower than what economic conditions otherwise would indicate. And small businesses have been a growth engine in the economy,” Friedman told CNBC.

Forty-one percent of the businesses surveyed have frozen hiring because of the health-care law known as Obamacare. And almost one-fifth—19 percent— answered “yes” when asked if they had “reduced the number of employees you have in your business as a specific result of the Affordable Care Act.”

41% of Small Businesses Froze Hiring Over ObamaCare | FrontPage Magazine

The stock market has been performing well because businesses have been performing well, and they've been doing it by cutting back costs. Just imagine what is going to happen to the market once these companies actually see the opportunity to expand. They want to, and they have the funds in cash to do so. Once they see demand begin to increase, this economy is going to take off. A lot of our tax problems will be alleviated when this happens. It won't completely solve the large deficits, but it will change the picture drastically.

There are two things capitalistic economies tend to do. They expand or they don't, but they never stay stuck for too long a period of time. There are cycles and we are nearing the end of a very bad one. Now we can get ready for a fairly long expansion or growth cycle.
The stock markets are not performing "well"...They are on a sugar rush of fake money pumped in but the federal reserve. The point of QE I,II and III was to prop up the financial markets so as not to scare off investors. The numbers are not real.
In fact, the financial markets, especially the NYSE, AMEX and the NAZ all were leading indicators of the overall health of the US economy. No more. Those institutions exist in a parallel universe.

Don't bet against the market. It's going to double twice by 2025.
Ok...No one said anything about 'betting against the market'..
That's not the point.
Truth is, over the long term certain stocks do have a nice ROI over the long term.
However, that is IN SPITE of and not due to government intervention.
Look, the markets rise and fall on economic cycles. The government would be wise to let that happen on its own.

Housing is coming back because the investors are out buying up all the cheap stuff. This is EXACTLY what should have happened since it tanked but stupid Obama and his stimulus crap slowed it down. If he let the free market handle this we would have been fine. Instead he had to butt in with his big dumbo ears and mess it up. There are bidding wars on the cheap stuff under 200 in many parts of the country. It will trickle up.

Production builders have plenty of lot inventory for which they must pay.
Therefore it is wise to build basic home on the lots and sell them cheap.

Production builders have plenty of lot inventory for which they must pay.Therefore it is wise to build basic home on the lots and sell them cheap.

Good point. Even the high end is moving well in NY and CA but their market is different.

Forum List

Back