*I Drive Slow On Freeways 55 MPH*

Sorry bout that,

Sorry bout that

Most highways are 65 or over. And if you were really in Texas, you'd pull over to the right to let them pass. :D

1. So you doubt I'm even in Texas?
2. 65 speed limit is common here, I still go 55mph.
3. I stay in the right lane mostly.
4. You do understand that right?

5. SO you drive crazy too?
6. If you are near a large city in Californication, then I know you're in traffic, and lucky to roll around at 40mph.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

There you have it....he's that grandpa hunched up over the steering wheel.

1. Not hardly I do my hunching somewhere else.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

The problem arises not because you are driving slowly, but because everyone else drives so close together.

If a semi is forced to slow down to 55 because he/she can't get over to the center lane due to traffic, it takes a long time for them to first, get to the center lane, and second, to get up to speed again.

If you really want to be courteous...drive the speed limit.
How is it anyone's problem how long it takes a semi to slow and regain speed?

I have watched semi drivers wait until they are 4 feet from My bumper (I drive at 70 in a posted 65 zone) before switching lanes.

Are semi drivers so fucking blind that they cannot judge the close rate of a vehicle in front of them and move over 200 feet before they get to that driver?

Try again.

If there is a flow of cars 12 feet from each others bumpers in the center lane, it doesn't matter if they can see 100 miles...they still can't get over.

What they repealed is the limit, not the minimum. It's not illegal to go 55MPH on a highway with a 70MPH limit, but it's annoying. Most highways have a minimum required speed of 40MPH.

Uhhmmm....

55 is higher than 40. :confused:

Yes. What did I say that was wrong?

Not "wrong"-- contradictory.
Breaking it down:

"Most highways have a minimum required speed of 40MPH" -- OK.
but then -
"It's not illegal to go 55MPH on a highway with a 70MPH limit, but it's annoying"

How can it be "annoying" when it's already 15 mph OVER the posted minimum?

I think from a couple of comments here that what some of y'all want is a kind of fascistic anarchy. The speed laws seem to be irrelevant, eclipsed by the law of the jungle.

Now I really don't care for speed laws and since I drive for efficiency I sometimes violate them too. What gets me is this idea that, after dismissing speed laws, y'all turn around and demand that everybody else on the road MUST follow the law of the jungle established by whoever's on it, regardless how fast they're going.

That's absolute bullshit.

You drive your speed, over the limit if you wish. But that doesn't mean I should be forced to just because you do. :nono:

Far as I'm concerned, you want to drive 105 that's your business. But you have to take the consequences that may come with it. I don't. And those consequences include having to adjust to other traffic actually moving within the speed limits that are plainly posted for all to see.

In other words, take responsibility for your own actions instead of blaming others for declining to commit the same faux pas you did.

Last edited:
Most highways are 65 or over. And if you were really in Texas, you'd pull over to the right to let them pass. :D
You do realize that the maximum posted speed limit applies to the fast lane, right?

The sign "slower traffic keep right" means less than the posted maximum.

No. It does not. It means slower relative to other traffic. Even if everybody's going over the limit it means slower than others. It means when you pass you do so on the left.

It has to mean that by definition -- think about highways with more than two lanes.
No, it does not.

Read your drivers handbook.

No cop will tell you that it is okay to speed, and no law in this land says that you will be fined for doing the limit.

If everyone is obeying the law, and everyone is traveling at 65 mph, there will never be an occasion for anyone to ever pass anyone.

However, if one person is driving at 60 mph, then those who are driving at 65 will have a lane available for them to to pass.

Those not traveling the maximum posted limit are required to move to the right so those who make the choice to travel slower than the posted limit, will not impede those who do chose to drive the maximum.

At no time is anyone permitted to exceed the maximum.

Now, for a little reality.

I have tested this and these numbers are indicative of the research I did on this topic.

If you travel at 5 mph (70 mph) over the posted maximum , you will be passed on average, by 85% of the people traveling this highway, and will pass less than 1% of them.

If you travel at 10 mph (75 mph) over the posted limit, you will be passed by an estimated 50% of the people traveling this highway, and will pass no more than 30% of them.

If you travel at 15 mph (80 mph) over the posted limit, you will be passed by less than 1% of the people traveling this highway, and will pass 70+% of the people you encounter.

Only at 20 mph over the limit will you find that you are passed by one or two people and the rest will be below your posted speed.

The sane person will conclude that people are driving way to fucking fast given the posted limits on our highways.

Why do I say that? Do any of you know what the rated safety margin of your normal, everyday passenger tire is with regards to speed?

Do any of you know what happens to people who are hit, or lose control of their vehicle at these speeds?

Slow the fuck down.

None of you are that important..

Last edited:
The problem arises not because you are driving slowly, but because everyone else drives so close together.

If a semi is forced to slow down to 55 because he/she can't get over to the center lane due to traffic, it takes a long time for them to first, get to the center lane, and second, to get up to speed again.

I have watched semi drivers wait until they are 4 feet from My bumper (I drive at 70 in a posted 65 zone) before switching lanes.

Are semi drivers so fucking blind that they cannot judge the close rate of a vehicle in front of them and move over 200 feet before they get to that driver?

Try again.

If there is a flow of cars 12 feet from each others bumpers in the center lane, it doesn't matter if they can see 100 miles...they still can't get over.
Again, how is that anyone's problem but the semi driver? It does not justify his or her excessive speed or excuse them from operating their vehicle in an unsafe and unprofessional manner.

Last edited:
Uhhmmm....

55 is higher than 40. :confused:

Yes. What did I say that was wrong?

Not "wrong"-- contradictory.
Breaking it down:

"Most highways have a minimum required speed of 40MPH" -- OK.
but then -
"It's not illegal to go 55MPH on a highway with a 70MPH limit, but it's annoying"

How can it be "annoying" when it's already 15 mph OVER the posted minimum?

I think from a couple of comments here that what some of y'all want is a kind of fascistic anarchy. The speed laws seem to be irrelevant, eclipsed by the law of the jungle.

Now I really don't care for speed laws and since I drive for efficiency I sometimes violate them too. What gets me is this idea that, after dismissing speed laws, y'all turn around and demand that everybody else on the road MUST follow the law of the jungle established by whoever's on it, regardless how fast they're going.

That's absolute bullshit.

You drive your speed, over the limit if you wish. But that doesn't mean I should be forced to just because you do. :nono:

Far as I'm concerned, you want to drive 105 that's your business. But you have to take the consequences too. I don't.
Exactly right.

And if someone is driving over the limit, it is incumbent upon them to accommodate those who ARE obeying the law, not the other way around.

Sorry bout that,
A problem arises when you are driving slowly.

Everyone else is driving faster and bunched together.

Now the trucker is inconvenienced, and everyone that had to slow after he got into the next lane is inconvenienced.

1. Oh Simi drivers need special care eh?
2. Truckers are the very most dangerous drivers on the highways.
3. They on the most part feel they own the road, and I get sorta testy when they hug my bumper.
4. Usually I open my window, and reach as *High* as I can in the air with my left hand and shoot the nastiest finger possible towards them, sometimes I wiggle my finger like I sticking it up their butt.
5. Of course they hate that when I do it, but they deserve it all in all.
6. Then they get to the center lane and come up beside me, and usually they honk me, then if they cut me off, *ITS ON NOW MOTHER FUCKER!*
7. So I tailgate the bastard a little, they speed up and I get right behind them so they can't see me, this drives them fucking crazy!!
8. Sooner or later they try to sling me off by changing lanes, I keep on their tails, they hate that.
9. Then at some point I try to pass,..... they hate that when I catch up to them, these bastards are sweating bullets by now, because now *I"M PISSED*!!!!!
10. Most of the time they exit off the freeways before I can get up there to cut them bastards off!
11. Truckers suck some serious ass when they get up on my bumper then cut me off, *ALL BETS ARE OFF THEN!*

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

You do realize that the maximum posted speed limit applies to the fast lane, right?

No. It does not. It means slower relative to other traffic. Even if everybody's going over the limit it means slower than others. It means when you pass you do so on the left.

It has to mean that by definition -- think about highways with more than two lanes.
No, it does not.

No cop will tell you that it is okay to speed, and no law in this land says that you will be fined for doing the limit.

If everyone is obeying the law, and everyone is traveling at 65 mph, there will never be an occasion for anyone to ever pass anyone.

However, if one person is driving at 60 mph, then those who are driving at 65 will have a lane available for them to to pass.

Those not traveling the maximum posted limit are required to move to the right so those who make the choice to travel slower than the posted limit, will not impede those who do chose to drive the maximum.

I have tested this and these numbers are indicative of the research I did on this topic.

If you travel at 5 mph (70 mph) over the posted maximum , you will be passed on average, by 85% of the people traveling this highway, and will pass less than 1% of them.

If you travel at 10 mph (75 mph) over the posted limit, you will be passed by an estimated 50% of the people traveling this highway, and will pass no more than 30% of them.

If you travel at 15 mph (80 mph) over the posted limit, you will be passed by less than 1% of the people traveling this highway, and will pass 70+% of the people you encounter.

Only at 20 mph over the limit will you find that you are passed by one or two people and the rest will be below your posted speed.

The sane person will conclude that people are driving way to fucking fast given the posted limits on our highways.

Why do I say that? Do any of you know what the rated safety margin of your normal, everyday passenger tire is with regards to speed?

Do any of you know what happens to people who are hit, or lose control of their vehicle at these speeds?

Slow the fuck down.

I don't know whose post you were reading when you typed that but it makes no sense at all and got off the exit to Tangent City.

"Slower traffic keep right" is in no way a reference to a number. Slower is a comparative. It means "slower than other traffic". Not "slower than the limit". That's why you painted yourself into a hole here.

Try again.

Again, how is that anyone's problem but the semi driver? It does not justify his or her excessive speed or excuse them from operating their vehicle in an unsafe and unprofessional manner.

If you are doing the speed limit, or even close to it, I'd say the truck driver is in the wrong...but that's not what we all talking about.

We are talking about a slow moving vehicle traveling 10mph or more below the speed limit.

That driver inconveniences a lot of other drivers that are only trying to maintain the legal speed limit.

No, it does not.

Slow the fuck down.

I don't know whose post you were reading when you typed that but it makes no sense at all and got off the exit to Tangent City.

"Slower traffic keep right" is in no way a reference to a number. Slower is a comparative. It means "slower than other traffic". Not "slower than the limit". That's why you painted yourself into a hole here.
Again, no it does not. How difficult is it to understand?

If you have a highway that is 12 lanes wide and the posted maximum is 70 mph...that means that in every lane, the maximum is 70 mph.

Period.

People who want to drive faster than that do so at their own risk, but any quick check of ANY drivers handbook in the USA will tell you that the maximum posted is the maximum for ALL LANES.

The sign "Slower Traffic Keep Right" is for vehicles that are traveling slower than the posted maximum.

Sorry bout that,
A problem arises when you are driving slowly.

Everyone else is driving faster and bunched together.

Now the trucker is inconvenienced, and everyone that had to slow after he got into the next lane is inconvenienced.

1. Oh Simi drivers need special care eh?
2. Truckers are the very most dangerous drivers on the highways.

Absolute bullshit. To the extent we can make a generalization, if anything they're the safest.

3. They on the most part feel they own the road, and I get sorta testy when they hug my bumper.
4. Usually I open my window, and reach as *High* as I can in the air with my left hand and shoot the nastiest finger possible towards them, sometimes I wiggle my finger like I sticking it up their butt.

Why does this not surprise us...
wait, do you first say "sorry about that" and give them a stream of numbers too?

5. Of course they hate that when I do it, but they deserve it all in all.
6. Then they get to the center lane and come up beside me, and usually they honk me, then if they cut me off, *ITS ON NOW MOTHER FUCKER!*
7. So I tailgate the bastard a little, they speed up and I get right behind them so they can't see me, this drives them fucking crazy!!
8. Sooner or later they try to sling me off by changing lanes, I keep on their tails, they hate that.
9. Then at some point I try to pass,..... they hate that when I catch up to them, these bastards are sweating bullets by now, because now *I"M PISSED*!!!!!
10. Most of the time they exit off the freeways before I can get up there to cut them bastards off!
11. Truckers suck some serious ass when they get up on my bumper then cut me off, *ALL BETS ARE OFF THEN!*

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

You're a lunatic. Perhaps next time one of them will give you an air brake demonstration. It's a testament to their patience that they haven't done so already.

But if you try that with me... well let's just say I'm not known for patience.

No, it does not.

Slow the fuck down.

If you have a highway that is 12 lanes wide and the posted maximum is 70 mph...that means that in every lane, the maximum is 70 mph.

Period.

People who want to drive faster than that do so at their own risk, but any quick check of ANY drivers handbook in the USA will tell you that the maximum posted is the maximum for ALL LANES.

The sign "Slower Traffic Keep Right" is for vehicles that are traveling slower than the posted maximum.

No. It. Is. Not. Once again, "slower" is a comparative. "Slower than what"? Slower than somebody next to you, that's what.

What speed either one of you is going is irrelevant.

Nobody disputes that the limit applies to "all lanes". What the hell else would it apply to? Why do you keep bringing in this irrelevancy?

I have to wonder where some of these wacko ideas come from. The political forum at least has think tanks churning them out. This kind of thing is... :cuckoo:

Last edited:

If you are doing the speed limit, or even close to it, I'd say the truck driver is in the wrong...but that's not what we all talking about.

We are talking about a slow moving vehicle traveling 10mph or more below the speed limit.

That driver inconveniences a lot of other drivers that are only trying to maintain the legal speed limit.
IF the driver is not traveling below a posted minimum, then they are in the right.

However, I will caveat that with the statement that the majority of states have an assumed minimum speed of 10 mph below the maximum. Traveling slower than that would be a hazard, true.

It is still incumbent upon all drivers to be cognizant of their surroundings and aware of others on the road. If I am approaching someone fast, I get over very early to avoid having to run up on them.

While I do travel about 5 mph above the posted limit, I do so with the full knowledge that I am in the wrong and accommodate those around Me who are moving slower.

However, reckless driving and excessive speeding is a pet peeve of Mine.

Period.

No. It. Is. Not. Once again, "slower" is a comparative. "Slower than what"? Slower than somebody next to you, that's what.

I have to wonder where some of these wacko ideas come from. The political forum at least has think tanks churning them out. This kind of thing is... :cuckoo:
Slower may be comparative, but a posted limit is a posted limit. You drive over the posted limit, you are in the wrong.

RTFM. Do you know what that acronym stand for?

I have to wonder at nut cases who think that the written word means something other than what it says.

Slow the fuck down.

From your own observations, the other conclusion that a logical person will conclude is that the posted speed limits are way to fucking slow for our highway system given the number of drivers that are ignoring them on our highways.

IF the driver is not traveling below a posted minimum, then they are in the right.

However, I will caveat that with the statement that the majority of states have an assumed minimum speed of 10 mph below the maximum. Traveling slower than that would be a hazard, true.

It is still incumbent upon all drivers to be cognizant of their surroundings and aware of others on the road. If I am approaching someone fast, I get over very early to avoid having to run up on them.

While I do travel about 5 mph above the posted limit, I do so with the full knowledge that I am in the wrong and accommodate those around Me who are moving slower.

That's a lot easier said than done when you need 120 feet of space to merge into and the traffic is traveling at a distance of 14 feet from one another.

A truck can't just shoehorn in between two cars like a car can.

Plus a trucks turn signal is the universal sign for cars to speed up and fill any gaps.

That said, I used to complain all the time about four-wheelers, but today I complain much more about other trucks.

I think the highest minimum speed I've seen on a freeway was 45. There's a good 20-25mph range low to high -- not 10. And I drive a lot.

So a car doing 55 where the max is 70 is 15 under the max limit -- and that differential is not 'unsafe' at all. You yourself just agreed with me that the responsibility is on the speeder. And even then he's still 10 to 15 over the posted minimum.

These speeds are set by road studies taking into account how far ahead a vehicle would have to see to notice another vehicle moving at a different speed, and set accordingly. 55 in a 70 is well within that range. There ain't a thing wrong with it.

No, it does not.

Slow the fuck down.

Interesting study. I also find that people behave differently in different areas....some examples I've noticed:

1. In the Central Valley of CA, on 5, they have "wolfpacks"...a string of cars in the left lane going 85+..most of the time, everyone else gets out of their way. I have joined wolfpacks for a few miles, but usually they are too fast and too close together for my taste.

2. On 10 in Louisianna on that long 10 mile bridge, everyone punches it because there's no place for cops to hide....I've seen speeds 95+ thru there in both lanes...anyone going slower than 80 does so at a risk.

3. In San Diego, people on the freeways speed up AFTER they see a cop on the side of the road, even more so after seeing 2 or more...."Hey! all the cops are back there, right?"

4. Los Angeles has what we call "mystery traffic jams" no one ever knows what cause the slowdown.

5. On 15 from Barstow to Vegas....you are guaranteed to have truckers and trailers in the left lane...slowing everyone down.

Period.

Slower may be comparative, but a posted limit is a posted limit. You drive over the posted limit, you are in the wrong.

RTFM. Do you know what that acronym stand for?

I have to wonder at nut cases who think that the written word means something other than what it says.

Maybe you should print this out, take it into the sunshine and read it:

"Slower traffic keep right" has nothing to do with what the speed limit is.

It's a directive on how to keep order in the flow of traffic. It's a regulation on where you need to be relative to others.

That has **ZERO** to do with what the speed limit is.

No, it does not.

Slow the fuck down.

Interesting study. I also find that people behave differently in different areas....some examples I've noticed:

1. In the Central Valley of CA, on 5, they have "wolfpacks"...a string of cars in the left lane going 85+..most of the time, everyone else gets out of their way. I have joined wolfpacks for a few miles, but usually they are too fast and too close together for my taste.

2. On 10 in Louisianna on that long 10 mile bridge, everyone punches it because there's no place for cops to hide....I've seen speeds 95+ thru there in both lanes...anyone going slower than 80 does so at a risk.

3. In San Diego, people on the freeways speed up AFTER they see a cop on the side of the road, even more so after seeing 2 or more...."Hey! all the cops are back there, right?"

4. Los Angeles has what we call "mystery traffic jams" no one ever knows what cause the slowdown.

5. On 15 from Barstow to Vegas....you are guaranteed to have truckers and trailers in the left lane...slowing everyone down.
I've seen that on the 5. Particularly between Fresno and Bakersfield. Also, between Sacramento and Modesto.

I've only traveled the 15 twice and both times, I was a passenger so I couldn't speak to that.

I realize speeding happens, but the point I am trying to make is that it is not the slower traffic that is in the wrong (with the few exceptions) but the speeders who are wrong.

Each and every time.

Forum List

Back