I had an interesting conversation this evening.

I think it's entirely possible that luddly has cleavage.
Don't you think people can change? Or is it "once a jerk, forever a jerk"?

Oh I believe people can change.

But I haven't seen it in this case, yet. People also do a lot of mouthing about how noble and wonderful they are....but every word they say is a testament towards not being noble or wonderful. People often say they care deeply about people..and actually use that as an excuse to support policies that devalue humanity.

If he changes that's great. But I don't think "I'm going to be nicer in how I post" is any sort of guarantee that he isn't going to continue to support policies that devalue human life, and I think he will continue to feel justified in lying to promote them.

I think it's completely possible he's lying to you in order to gain credit on the board that he hasn't earned, too.

On the other hand, he maybe a changed person and I am a cynic.

Meh, we'll see. I'm generally correct in matters of personality and character, and I have learned that reticence serves a person well in these matters.

e3a31055c11f6ca5283638839cb6da09.jpg

Which is why it's. just. not. worth. it.

But I haven't seen it in this case, yet. People also do a lot of mouthing about how noble and wonderful they are....but every word they say is a testament towards not being noble or wonderful. People often say they care deeply about people..and actually use that as an excuse to support policies that devalue humanity.

If he changes that's great. But I don't think "I'm going to be nicer in how I post" is any sort of guarantee that he isn't going to continue to support policies that devalue human life, and I think he will continue to feel justified in lying to promote them.

I think it's completely possible he's lying to you in order to gain credit on the board that he hasn't earned, too.
Sure, it's possible. Highly unlikely, given the nature of our conversation, but possible.

Wait and see. Give him a fair chance. But don't bait him to try to get him to fail and then yell "See? SEE?!"

Because that would be dishonest, wouldn't it?

No I don't. After a certain age,what you see is what you get in most cases. They can fake it for awhile though.

And just for clarification...I am not referencing Luddly by making that statement.

RE: The bolded above. Everyone will tell you they are "noble and wonderful". Most while spouting off advice they don't even follow themselves. It's called lip service. :lol:

Sure, it's possible. Highly unlikely, given the nature of our conversation, but possible.

Wait and see. Give him a fair chance. But don't bait him to try to get him to fail and then yell "See? SEE?!"

Not necessarily. But whether he succeeds or fails is immaterial to me. I'm just not tempted to fall over and praise the shit out of him based upon a private convo I wasn't privy to. I doubt if I would feel compelled to do so if I had been privy to it.

I have cried so much now I have given myself a headache. Thanks, Dave. First time I've ever thanked anyone for a headache. Also to Ropey: Sorry, Ropey. I could have tried harder. Next time I will.

I'm not sure why you feel sorry. I've been having fun with our forum posts. :)

I'm sorry because sometimes I read into things - messages that aren't there. I'm not healed yet. I'm trying to work it out but it just seems like it isn't happening fast enough. I'm sorry because whatever that is in me is coming out sideways at other people and in this case - you - over a poem. I hate that about myself. I'm sorry if I have hurt you. It's me lashing out at something that has nothing to do with you. I'm working on it, Ropey. It's a start. I love your beautiful poetic mind. You truly are a gifted poet. I admire your talent and grieve over my own blindness. - Jeremiah

"Poetry is the only acceptable way to say one thing and mean another."

-Robert Frost

This, of course, means that it is perfectly acceptable to not get the writer's meaning, and err on it. Because you're never quite sure anyway.

- Cerealism

:)

No I don't. After a certain age,what you see is what you get in most cases. They can fake it for awhile though.

And just for clarification...I am not referencing Luddly by making that statement.

I guess I'm just a little more optimistic than you.

Tell me...is 50 after that certain age?

Not necessarily. But whether he succeeds or fails is immaterial to me. I'm just not tempted to fall over and praise the shit out of him based upon a private convo I wasn't privy to. I doubt if I would feel compelled to do so if I had been privy to it.
Not asking you to fall over and praise anybody.

Do what you like. I can control only my behavior.

I'm not sure why you feel sorry. I've been having fun with our forum posts. :)

I'm sorry because sometimes I read into things - messages that aren't there. I'm not healed yet. I'm trying to work it out but it just seems like it isn't happening fast enough. I'm sorry because whatever that is in me is coming out sideways at other people and in this case - you - over a poem. I hate that about myself. I'm sorry if I have hurt you. It's me lashing out at something that has nothing to do with you. I'm working on it, Ropey. It's a start. I love your beautiful poetic mind. You truly are a gifted poet. I admire your talent and grieve over my own blindness. - Jeremiah

"Poetry is the only acceptable way to say one thing and mean another."

-Robert Frost

This, of course, means that it is perfectly acceptable to not get the writer's meaning, and err on it. Because you're never quite sure anyway.

- Cerealism

:)
So you're saying poetry class is an easy A, huh? :lol:

jeri...

there are A LOT of people who read more into things then are really there. It is not just you. You would be amazed at what people read into my avatars.
"Astounding cleavage".

The message seems pretty clear to me. :confused:
see... that is what you read into it. I am sure others have a differing opinion.

me... i want them whacked back to a smaller size so they are a bit less astounding. :lol:

That is a crime against humanity!

*runs*

jeri...

there are A LOT of people who read more into things then are really there. It is not just you. You would be amazed at what people read into my avatars.
"Astounding cleavage".

The message seems pretty clear to me. :confused:
see... that is what you read into it. I am sure others have a differing opinion.

me... i want them whacked back to a smaller size so they are a bit less astounding. :lol:

No more mucho boobies?

:(

I haven't logged into this board in months but was compelled to by this thread.

Thank you daveman for starting it.

My time is important to me, as I'm sure it is to everyone, and when I had come across a thread title that seemed interesting, popped it open and began reading; all too often it devolved.

So, I left.

I'm interested in viewpoints that run counter to my own, if, for nothing else, a different perspective. I know I have an opinion, but it is not the ONLY one.

And unfortunately, message boards can devolve into what we can see daily on our television news stations. The most outrageous and loudest are the only ones heard.

My one lamentation is that our elected officials can't take the high road and not get mixed up in the swill to win points......and elections.

Here's hoping civility can regain some momentum.

And I may be less of a stranger.

My time is important to me, as I'm sure it is to everyone, and when I had come across a thread title that seemed interesting, popped it open and began reading; all too often it devolved.

So, I left.

I'm interested in viewpoints that run counter to my own, if, for nothing else, a different perspective. I know I have an opinion, but it is not the ONLY one.

And unfortunately, message boards can devolve into what we can see daily on our television news stations. The most outrageous and loudest are the only ones heard.

My one lamentation is that our elected officials can't take the high road and not get mixed up in the swill to win points......and elections.

daveman understands that he can only control his own behavior. He is not preaching to everyone and telling them how to conduct themselves. He is simply sharing some perspective he gained in his private discussion, and that he will strive to be a better person because of it.

That's how civility can regain momentum...one person at a time. Not by preaching to others, but by setting an example for others.

So rather than expecting others to change so that the board is to your liking, why not set an example and maybe others will follow.

So, I left.

daveman understands that he can only control his own behavior. He is not preaching to everyone and telling them how to conduct themselves. He is simply sharing some perspective he gained in his private discussion, and that he will strive to be a better person because of it.

That's how civility can regain momentum...one person at a time. Not by preaching to others, but by setting an example for others.

So rather than expecting others to change so that the board is to your liking, why not set an example and maybe others will follow.
*tips hat* :)

So, I left.

Thank you for reiterating what daveman, Jeremiah and I are hoping will spread and grow. Earlier (post #30) I said that I could only change myself and my own behavior.

I have said things on this board that I would not consider saying in real life. While I suspect the same is true for many others, that's their business. For my own part, life is just too short to spend any part of it attacking people because they disagree with me.

Forum List

Back