I have a question for anti-theists

This is for the people that seem to think it's their mission to constantly shine a light on the ignorance of religious people. What's your motivation to try to undermine the simple and comforting beliefs of some theist? How hurtful is religion to society in your view? What are you trying to achieve? Why not just leave them be?
I believe in God, however the problem with many if not most people who do is that they do not think things thru. All they actually believe is that God did everything and will take care of them because they believe. This is moronic
So you believe in a lame ass god who isn't perfect and makes deformed and retarded babies. Nice.
No I do not believe that God makes babies, your mother and father unfortunately did that just fine on their own

It's not moronic because it serves a purpose. It might be ridiculous to you, but that shit really does bring some people a lot of comfort.

It also brings us inquisitions, crusades, witch-burning, suppression of science, mistreatment of women, the abuse of children...
Those things happen in the absence of religion, as well.

There've been a few genocides in communist nations that show us that atheists can crank out the horrors every bit as effectively as believers.

How do you go about nailing down religion as the root cause of the violence that you've listed? Could it be that humans, like all other primates, are prone to horrific acts of tribal violence and that the religions they often proclaim to be their justification are more or less incidental?

It's not moronic because it serves a purpose. It might be ridiculous to you, but that shit really does bring some people a lot of comfort.

It also brings us inquisitions, crusades, witch-burning, suppression of science, mistreatment of women, the abuse of children...

There've been a few genocides in communist nations that show us that atheists can crank out the horrors every bit as effectively as believers.

How do you go about nailing down religion as the root cause of the violence that you've listed? Could it be that humans, like all other primates, are prone to horrific acts of tribal violence and that the religions they often proclaim to be their justification are more or less incidental?

Religion is just the excuse to do what people naturally want to do.

This is for the people that seem to think it's their mission to constantly shine a light on the ignorance of religious people. What's your motivation to try to undermine the simple and comforting beliefs of some theist? How hurtful is religion to society in your view? What are you trying to achieve? Why not just leave them be?
I believe in God, however the problem with many if not most people who do is that they do not think things thru. All they actually believe is that God did everything and will take care of them because they believe. This is moronic
So you believe in a lame ass god who isn't perfect and makes deformed and retarded babies. Nice.
No I do not believe that God makes babies, your mother and father unfortunately did that just fine on their own
Let me rephrase that. You worship a god that made a universe in which he allowed deformed and retarded babies to happen.

I tend to find this to be the most compelling explanation.

Let me rephrase that. You worship a god that made a universe in which he allowed deformed and retarded babies to happen.
Wrong again because it is impossible from a human standpoint to say that the Universe was made without at least knowing what the universe is and humanity does not have this knowledge. What you are doing Taz is assigning to me every ramble that others spout. I have told you before and you agreed that since DNA is a molecular computer program it needed a writer before the program could begin evolving

Smoke crack and molest alter boys?

Wrong again because it is impossible from a human standpoint to say that the Universe was made without at least knowing what the universe is and humanity does not have this knowledge. What you are doing Taz is assigning to me every ramble that others spout. I have told you before and you agreed that since DNA is a molecular computer program it needed a writer before the program could begin evolving
I never agreed to that. it's a possibility, but you have no proof for that either. You believe in the same fake god with no proof as the others, you've just cut away some of the really dumb shit.

Why? Because it's cruel to try to destroy the comforts of other people. Who are you to say they're not enjoying their lives? Maybe that comfort they get from religion allows them to do exactly that. Maybe you'd actually destroy a person's happiness by convincing them their beliefs are bullshit.

If you need to believe in an imaginary sky fairy in order to enjoy our life or stave off your fear of death, you aren't enjoying your life.

At its worse in the past religion has led to those things. In most countries however what remains of religion has become more modernized. Do you fear witch burnings in 2020?

To be honest, um, yeah. The notion that we've become "more civilized" is often an illusion. We are always one step away from the savage, and religion indulges the savage.

One "moral Panic" becomes passe, and another takes it's place. Within my lifetime, we had the "Satanic Panic" of the 1990's.

This wasn't some bygone age, this was 20 years ago, when we had computers and space shuttles and this shit still happens.

Why? Because it's cruel to try to destroy the comforts of other people. Who are you to say they're not enjoying their lives? Maybe that comfort they get from religion allows them to do exactly that. Maybe you'd actually destroy a person's happiness by convincing them their beliefs are bullshit.

If you need to believe in an imaginary sky fairy in order to enjoy our life or stave off your fear of death, you aren't enjoying your life.

At its worse in the past religion has led to those things. In most countries however what remains of religion has become more modernized. Do you fear witch burnings in 2020?

To be honest, um, yeah. The notion that we've become "more civilized" is often an illusion. We are always one step away from the savage, and religion indulges the savage.

One "moral Panic" becomes passe, and another takes it's place. Within my lifetime, we had the "Satanic Panic" of the 1990's.

This wasn't some bygone age, this was 20 years ago, when we had computers and space shuttles and this shit still happens.

LOL 100 megaton nukes are fully civilized

The John Birch Society Called. They want their McCarthyite Propaganda back.

Um, no. These things happened because Churches organized them and promoted them.

You're holding all religious people accountable for the worst religion has to offer.

You're holding all religious people accountable for the worse religion has to offer.
Not at all, the Catholics molest children, so do the Muslims who chop off little girls vaginas, then the Jews do not shower and wonder why they are mocked............. Religion is a crutch for morons, I was raised a Catholic but left the church before leaving the child molesters was cool

Do you understand how incredibly arrogant it is to assume people can't be happy in life without being enlightened like you?

To be honest, um, yeah.

For real? You think we could go back to that?

hahahahahahahhahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WRONG
the THEISTS are the ones who try to FORCE their crap on people, not the atheists
....they come to my door!!!! at my HOME!!!!!!!..and I have a no solicitation sign
....they did that with the Native Americans..they do it in Africa today
....they did it at the airports
..I've never had an atheist come to my door preaching
why can't they just leave people be??

The John Birch Society Called. They want their McCarthyite Propaganda back.

Um, no. These things happened because Churches organized them and promoted them.
McCarthyite propaganda? Stalin never did nothing wrong? Who's Polpot? Mao didn't starve nobody? Lol, you're just as religious as the evangelicals. I'm not over here making the 100 million dead claim at the outside extreme end of the estimates of the communist body count, but to try and act like none of it happened is ridiculous.

So if the Churches hadn't come along, those sick fucks who were burning people at stakes all would've been well-adjusted family men, putting in volunteer hours at their local soup kitchens? The sick fucks cheering them on would've instead found meaning and entertainment in great literature? The scared commoners who turned a blind eye so that they could go about their normal lives with the hope that they wouldn't be the next poor bastard tied to the stake would've suddenly grown the courage to stand up to the unjust violence perpetrated by mobs and powerful individuals? You'll have to forgive me if I'm less convinced than you are.

because:

Jefferson's Letter to the Danbury Baptists
The Final Letter, as Sent

To messers. Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson, a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.

Gentlemen

The affectionate sentiments of esteem and approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful and zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, & in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more and more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection & blessing of the common father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves & your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.

Th Jefferson
Jan. 1. 1802.

^ THAT ^
Jefferson's Letter to the Danbury Baptists (June 1998) - Library of Congress Information Bulletin

btw, i am a christian.

Forum List

Back