I have found members here to be...

I have found members here to be a mixed bag. Some are obviously well trained in fields they've worked in. Learned.
Experienced on different levels.

Some use the lingo and technical jargon that has them stand out. But is education proof of intelligence, intellectual capacity..?

Does experience in a field transfer into knowledge of and the ability to grasp things outside their fields of experience/education/work?

apologies: Writing on the fly here as I'm actually writing something on this to share elsewhere with others.
Someone can be "book smart" but lack actual intelligence. Likewise, someone can be intelligent but fail at higher education (some fail starting with elementary school). To answer your first question, NO, education is not proof of intelligence. I've worked with many people with college degrees that I have asked others if their stamped piece of paper was "bought"; they have absolutely no clue as to how to do their job.

Second question: Yes, experience in one field can transfer into knowledge of another field. I'm proof of it. I'm certified in architectural design, worked for an engineering firm for 15 years, jumped to the construction side and have been there since.

Someone can be "book smart" but lack actual intelligence. Likewise, someone can be intelligent but fail at higher education (some fail starting with elementary school). To answer your first question, NO, education is not proof of intelligence. I've worked with many people with college degrees that I have asked others if their stamped piece of paper was "bought"; they have absolutely no clue as to how to do their job.

Second question: Yes, experience in one field can transfer into knowledge of another field. I'm proof of it. I'm certified in architectural design, worked for an engineering firm for 15 years, jumped to the construction side and have been there since.

Interesting.

2nd issues -- I was trying to address people who excel or manage well in one field assuming they will perform the same in another. And the "can" is put forth with many caveats, isn't it?

Interesting.

2nd issues -- I was trying to address people who excel or manage well in one field assuming they will perform the same in another. And the "can" is put forth with many caveats, isn't it?
Some can perform just as well or better while others can't. It just depends on the person and what they are capable of. If it's a field they're really interested in, they'll more than likely excel at it. If they are "forced" into something they don't care about, then it's not going to turn out very well. Motivation is key.

Some can perform just as well or better while others can't. It just depends on the person and what they are capable of. If it's a field they're really interested in, they'll more than likely excel at it. If they are "forced" into something they don't care about, then it's not going to turn out very well. Motivation is key.
Most seriously intelligent people are quick studies.

Motivation? Meh. Interest, curiosity.

AyeCantSeeYou apologies. on edit B 4 U liked

Forum List

Back