I have maybe 25 years left to live

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
I have maybe 25 years left to live. And, taking the long view, 25 years is an incredibly short period of time. I moved to Las Vegas in 1998, which was 19 years ago, and the beginning of this stage in my life, and it seems like it wasn't even all that long ago.

So really, what's 25 years? Nothing.

So I'm a Roman Catholic. But I haven't been a very good Roman Catholic. I believe in all of it, but I haven't followed through with prayer and action. I've spent my days just muddling through, trying to make a living, trying to obey the Ten Commandments, trying to raise my family the right way, but I very rarely talk to God, and I almost always miss Mass on Sunday.

So what happens to a guy like me when it's over? It's a complicated answer, but the Catholic faith has interesting rules that make it somewhat of a crapshoot. If I manage to make a Confession to a priest before I die, I go to heaven. If I don't make it to confession before I die, all my failure to pray and failure to attend Mass on Sunday means I will either spend a very long time in purgatory, or I will go to hell.

I have two choices:

1) I can continue on this path of not paying much attention, and then take the crapshoot; or

2) I can straighten out my act, pray every day, go to Mass every Sunday, go to Confession on a regular basis, and avoid such sins as cussing, swearing, and (*), and then even if I die suddenly without getting to a priest, I will still get to heaven.

So you see, the second option is obviously smarter, but the first option is much easier, and it doesn't help that I am a lazy person when it comes to spiritual matters.

Any advice? And please, let's not hear from the usual people who will want to take this thread as an other opportunity to bash Catholicism. All you will do is annoy me, because I want an answer to my problem from a Catholic point of view, or even a Protestant point of view. If you hate Catholicism, I don't care, you're not going to persuade me. If you try to talk me out of Catholicism, you might as well try to tell me to cut off my right arm, because that's the way it is with me and Catholicism.

And just so you know what kind of Catholic I am, my wife and I haven't used birth control since 1994, except once, and I felt bad about it and went to confession.

And we don't eat fish on Friday during Lent. And we fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

But then we blow it and don't go to Mass on Sunday.

It doesn't make any sense, but I have to attribute it mostly to laziness.

I have maybe 25 years left to live. And, taking the long view, 25 years is an incredibly short period of time. I moved to Las Vegas in 1998, which was 19 years ago, and the beginning of this stage in my life, and it seems like it wasn't even all that long ago.

So I'm a Roman Catholic. But I haven't been a very good Roman Catholic. I believe in all of it, but I haven't followed through with prayer and action. I've spent my days just muddling through, trying to make a living, trying to obey the Ten Commandments, trying to raise my family the right way, but I very rarely talk to God, and I almost always miss Mass on Sunday.

So what happens to a guy like me when it's over? It's a complicated answer, but the Catholic faith has interesting rules that make it somewhat of a crapshoot. If I manage to make a Confession to a priest before I die, I go to heaven. If I don't make it to confession before I die, all my failure to pray and failure to attend Mass on Sunday means I will either spend a very long time in purgatory, or I will go to hell.

I have two choices:

1) I can continue on this path of not paying much attention, and then take the crapshoot; or

2) I can straighten out my act, pray every day, go to Mass every Sunday, go to Confession on a regular basis, and avoid such sins as cussing, swearing, and (*), and then even if I die suddenly without getting to a priest, I will still get to heaven.

So you see, the second option is obviously smarter, but the first option is much easier, and it doesn't help that I am a lazy person when it comes to spiritual matters.

Any advice? And please, let's not hear from the usual people who will want to take this thread as an other opportunity to bash Catholicism. All you will do is annoy me, because I want an answer to my problem from a Catholic point of view, or even a Protestant point of view. If you hate Catholicism, I don't care, you're not going to persuade me. If you try to talk me out of Catholicism, you might as well try to tell me to cut off my right arm, because that's the way it is with me and Catholicism.

The right choices in life also result in better quality of life,
better mental and physical health,
better relationships and harmony with society, environment and nature.

There are other reasons to live consistently with the laws of nature,
balancing faith and reason, and satisfying standards on what is
the most ethical course of action that benefits the greater good of all people.

The same things that lead to "heaven" lead to peace on earth,
peace of mind by forgiving and correcting wrongs, errors and problems for sake of truth and justice.

You don't have to believe in anything unnatural or not proven to be the more reasonable healthier choice.

I have two choices:

peace of mind by forgiving and correcting wrongs, errors and problems for sake of truth and justice.

You don't have to believe in anything unnatural or not proven to be the more reasonable healthier choice.
Right, but you didn't pay attention to what I said. I said I am a Roman Catholic. I said I believe in Roman Catholicism. I said I believe that if I continue on my current course for the next 25 years or so of my life, I will probably go to hell.

That is the question I have asked you to give me advice on. Don't tell me Catholicism isn't proven, don't tell me hell is not real, don't tell me I should worry about this life and not the next. None of that helps me solve my problem.

I have maybe 25 years of life left and then if Catholicism is true, and I believe it is, I probably go to hell. That is the problem. Help me solve my problem.

I have two choices:

p.s. about purgatory hell and heaven Blackrook

unforgiveness and living in fear and guilt causes stress that makes life hell

forgiveness and living by love and thanks brings peace of mind and heaven on earth

so if we want to live in the Kingdom of God where truth sets us free of suffering and strife
that is why there is a focus on receiving grace by forgiving and letting go
We become like little children who are happy to be here and just love to explore the
wonderful gifts of life, where the world is a playground for us to enjoy and not feel bad about.

the confessional process is meant to help with that release
you can either confess to priests to help with this or
as in the Bible "confess our faults one to another
and pray for one another that we may be healed"

praying for forgiveness and to receive natural healing
of mind body spirit and relationships
is the meaning of receiving the free grace and salvation of Christ
and the healing and spiritual peace and comfort of the Holy Spirit

when you feel like a little kid again, free and full of joy and laughter,
that's the Kingdom of God within and among us that is always within our reach

May God's wisdom in this be granted unto you
that you be filled and blessing with understanding and peace

for any issues or conflicts standing in the way of fulfilling
this process, may they be removed in the spirit of
forgiveness and correction in Christ Jesus that you be
enlightened in mind body and spirit and filled with love of
truth justice and peace that brings salvation to all humanity. Amen!

And any advice on a better life here would not solve my problem.

Because you would tell me to cut back on red meat, exercise more, stop drinking Coke, stop eating chocolate, and make sure to sleep 8 hours a night every night.

But what I'm telling you is that God doesn't care about any of that.

What he cares about is that I don't go to Mass on Sunday, I don't pray, I cuss and swear too much, and once in a while I (*).

And my problem really isn't that I'm bad, it's that I am lazy.

I have two choices:

p.s. about purgatory hell and heaven Blackrook

unforgiveness and living in fear and guilt causes stress that makes life hell

forgiveness and living by love and thanks brings peace of mind and heaven on earth

so if we want to live in the Kingdom of God where truth sets us free of suffering and strife
that is why there is a focus on receiving grace by forgiving and letting go
We become like little children who are happy to be here and just love to explore the
wonderful gifts of life, where the world is a playground for us to enjoy and not feel bad about.

the confessional process is meant to help with that release
you can either confess to priests to help with this or
as in the Bible "confess our faults one to another
and pray for one another that we may be healed"

praying for forgiveness and to receive natural healing
of mind body spirit and relationships
is the meaning of receiving the free grace and salvation of Christ
and the healing and spiritual peace and comfort of the Holy Spirit

when you feel like a little kid again, free and full of joy and laughter,
that's the Kingdom of God within and among us that is always within our reach

May God's wisdom in this be granted unto you
that you be filled and blessing with understanding and peace

for any issues or conflicts standing in the way of fulfilling
this process, may they be removed in the spirit of
forgiveness and correction in Christ Jesus that you be
enlightened in mind body and spirit and filled with love of
truth justice and peace that brings salvation to all humanity. Amen!
Yes, I know all that. I'm just too lazy and indifferent to do anything about it.

For a long time I was mad at God because I felt he was not listening to my prayers.

I would leave Church and fume in the parking lot because I was so mad at God.

Now that things have improved for me somewhat, I am no longer mad at God, but I no longer feel I love him as I once did.

Because I went through a stage in my life when I loved God very, very much.

But then I fell out of love with God when things didn't go my way, I felt like God was going out of his way to make things difficult for me.

I understand how stupid that sounds, but my foolishness caused a rift between me and God that has not healed.

Now, I feel that any success I have had is despite God, not because of him, something I achieved against his opposition, not with his cooperation.

I know how stupid that sounds, but there it is. That's sort of how I feel.

How do I fall back in love with God?

Wait until you have about 8 years left to live. Or less. Time flies.

Reopen your heart to fall back in love again with God. Just because you want or pray for something doesn't mean an automatic "yes". Sometimes He says No, because He knows more than you do.

If I manage to make a Confession to a priest before I die, I go to heaven. If I don't make it to confession before I die, all my failure to pray and failure to attend Mass on Sunday means I will either spend a very long time in purgatory, or I will go to hell.
Nonsense. Confess to whom? A man pretending to be the ear of God? I don't care what religion you are....you speak directly to GOD, not some guy in a robe with fancy scarves. And I don't mean to be rude. God loves you. Go directly to him and "confess".

If I manage to make a Confession to a priest before I die, I go to heaven. If I don't make it to confession before I die, all my failure to pray and failure to attend Mass on Sunday means I will either spend a very long time in purgatory, or I will go to hell.
Nonsense. Confess to whom? A man pretending to be the ear of God? I don't care what religion you are....you speak directly to GOD, not some guy in a robe with fancy scarves. And I don't mean to be rude. God loves you. Go directly to him and "confess".
I know in your Protestant heart you believe that, but I am a Catholic. You're not going to convert me to Protestantism in this thread, I already said that.

Please help me with the problem I have, given the Catholic faith I believe in, which I'm not going to stop believing in after 51 years.

If I was a Protestant, none of this would be a problem at all, because many Protestants believe you don't even have to go to Church on Sunday, and that's my main problem, Catholicism teaches that missing Mass on Sunday is a mortal sin.

It's a much bigger issue for Catholics to miss Mass on Sunday than it is for Protestants. For us, it's like the whole definition of what it is to be a Catholic that you attend Mass on Sunday every week. If you don't, you are a "lapsed Catholic" and the Church teaches us there's more hope for Chinese ancestor worshippers who never heard of Christ then there is for lapsed Catholics.

I know in your Protestant heart you believe that, but I am a Catholic. You're not going to convert me to Protestantism in this thread, I already said that.

Please help me with the problem I have, given the Catholic faith I believe in, which I'm not going to stop believing in after 51 years.

If I was a Protestant, none of this would be a problem at all, because many Protestants believe you don't even have to go to Church on Sunday, and that's my main problem, Catholicism teaches that missing Mass on Sunday is a mortal sin.

It's a much bigger issue for Catholics to miss Mass on Sunday than it is for Protestants. For us, it's like the whole definition of what it is to be a Catholic that you attend Mass on Sunday every week. If you don't, you are a "lapsed Catholic" and the Church teaches us there's more hope for Chinese ancestor worshippers who never heard of Christ then there is for lapsed Catholics.
I am not protestant or catholic or baptist or any organized religion, hon. It's just me, God, Jesus and...earth.

I have two choices:

Many Catholics focus too much on acts and forget that the essence of the faith is to be sincerely contrite and resolve to not sin again.

Not attending Mass absent gravity of matter is a mortal sin and your soul is in peril; you need to make a good act of contrition and confession and indeed be heartily sorry for having offended your god.

Only you and your god know if you are in fact contrite and have resolved to not commit the same sin again; reconciliation and redemption can come about only if one is truly contrite.

That’s what non-Catholics fail to understand about the sacrament of confession – it’s not a ‘free pass,’ nor a ‘get out of hell free card’; one can go to confession as often as he likes but he’s still subject to eternal damnation if he is not truly contrite and has not resolved to not sin again.

I am not protestant or catholic or baptist or any organized religion, hon. It's just me, God, Jesus and...earth.
In the traditional way of looking at Christianity, if you a Christian who denies the power of the Catholic Church to administer the sacraments, that makes you a Protestant. I know that some Christians are running away from that word, but there is no need. There's nothing wrong with being a Protestant, even though Protestants are wrong on numerous issues, they will still go to heaven if they're good Protestants.

Organized religion. *Shudder*

No thanks. But I wish you luck in falling back in love even if it means confessing or whatever it is y'all do.

I don't want to try and convert you or change you. I would like to address this idea you have that you've got 25 years left. You don't know how much time you have left. You could only have a minute or two left... you might have 50 years left. My advice, when it comes to your soul and spirit, is to live each minute like it's your last. Don't forsake your spiritual guidance. But probably, more important than anything else, don't get caught up in the concept of time as it relates to your redemption or status. God doesn't know time. What is in your heart at this moment and every moment is all that's important. You can't change the past, all you can do is manage the present.

I have two choices:

Many Catholics focus too much on acts and forget that the essence of the faith is to be sincerely contrite and resolve to not sin again.

Not attending Mass absent gravity of matter is a mortal sin and your soul is in peril; you need to make a good act of contrition and confession and indeed be heartily sorry for having offended your god.

Only you and your god know if you are in fact contrite and have resolved to not commit the same sin again; reconciliation and redemption can come about only if one is truly contrite.

That’s what non-Catholics fail to understand about the sacrament of confession – it’s not a ‘free pass,’ nor a ‘get out of hell free card’; one can go to confession as often as he likes but he’s still subject to eternal damnation if he is not truly contrite and has not resolved to not sin again.
And therein lies the rub, Clayton. I'm not sorry. I am still angry, and I am still disappointed, and I still think God has given me a raw deal. I know how stupid and immature this sounds, but there it is. I could go to confession, but it would do me no good. I would go right back to missing Mass. Until I fix the spiritual sickness in my heart, I can't prepare myself for the death I know will come.

I don't want to try and convert you or change you. I would like to address this idea you have that you've got 25 years left. You don't know how much time you have left. You could only have a minute or two left... you might have 50 years left. My advice, when it comes to your soul and spirit, is to live each minute like it's your last. Don't forsake your spiritual guidance. But probably, more important than anything else, don't get caught up in the concept of time as it relates to your redemption or status. God doesn't know time. What is in your heart at this moment and every moment is all that's important. You can't change the past, all you can do is manage the present.
I understand completely that I could die in my sleep tonight. If that happens, there is no hope for me. I am not in a state of friendship with God. I know it, he knows it, and if I die tonight, my decision to reject his friendship will become permanent.

I have two choices:

Right, but you didn't pay attention to what I said. I said I am a Roman Catholic. I said I believe in Roman Catholicism. I said I believe that if I continue on my current course for the next 25 years or so of my life, I will probably go to hell.

That is the question I have asked you to give me advice on. Don't tell me Catholicism isn't proven, don't tell me hell is not real, don't tell me I should worry about this life and not the next. None of that helps me solve my problem.

I have maybe 25 years of life left and then if Catholicism is true, and I believe it is, I probably go to hell. That is the problem. Help me solve my problem.

Hi Blackrook
If we don't forgive, then we kill ourselves and love of life with guilt and stress.
That unforgiveness is what blocks our relationship with God.
Catholicism is not a condition that decides this,
Catholicism is a method of Explaining the process in steps to AVOID
making hell by living under unresolved unforgiven "sinful conditions."

The key to the process, under any system of describing it,
is forgiving letting go and receiving grace and love of life to heal
and guide us.

What do you need to forgive and let go?
To let LOVE cast out the FEAR you have of going to hell?

Think of it this way:
Catholicism is like the school policies that say
if you don't pass X Y Z you don't get to graduate, or even play on the playground,
but you flunk your tests, and stay in detention.

You can look at this two ways:
Some kids FEAR failing and getting punished so badly
for not meeting requirements, they can't focus on studies, classes or tests.
So of course they fail, and DON'T EVEN ENJOY SCHOOL ie life.

Some kids KNOW they are going to make mistakes
but that is the purpose of the homework and tests: to learn to work
independently by studying the difference between right and wrong
answers, learning how to study, and how to USE the classroom
and assignments tests and study time to LEARN and PASS.

The point is to enjoy school, do well, and move on.
It is not to sit and stew in stress over failing if you make mistakes!

So whatever you are going through, how can you get to
be like the kids who enjoy school, who know the point is
to learn from our mistakes, and pass and graduate.

How can you be more like those kids and not the ones
stressing out or killing themselves over stress.

What is in the way of you fearing the system so much
as making sure you fail instead of pass.

Where are you getting this, and if you address it you
can see the system is to be used to HELP YOU PASS
and ENJOY LIFE/SCHOOL AS YOU GO THROUGH IT.

You don't just enjoy graduation to get out of the system.
We are supposed to make the most out of going through
life and school. ENJOYING the time we have to share on earth.

What is stopping you from receiving and enjoying that gift?
Blackrook

I understand completely that I could die in my sleep tonight. If that happens, there is no hope for me. I am not in a state of friendship with God. I know it, he knows it, and if I die tonight, my decision to reject his friendship will become permanent.

Dear Blackrook if this were true then all the Saints would be in hell with you because there isn't one who hasn't gone through this testing and cleansing process to get there. So count yourself in good company. This phase is part of that process to have that deeper relationship with God by letting go all fear of conditions. You are going through this now.

Forum List

Back