I hope y'all are happy....

spillmind said:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050323/ap_on_re_us/brain_damaged_woman_72

the political involvement is despicable, disgusting and disgraceful.

these people don't give half a sh*t about terri, only the PERCEPTION of actually FAKE good deed they are trying to pull off.

the right thing to do is let the poor lady pass on. instead, these SCUMBAGS are trying to make an example of her situation. i say he should adopt ALL the floridians without health insurance!

they should fly terri to texas and let the money run out under W's 1999 law.

the hypocrisy is incredibly undeniable.

one thing is for sure, this keeps foreign relations stories out of the news!

Right Spill--the pro-death folks care a lot about Terris' last wishes too-----so much that they didn't say crap about it while her hubby tortured her for years--but you never could tell the good guys from the bad guys . :slap:

dilloduck said:
Right Spill--the pro-death folks care a lot about Terris' last wishes too-----so much that they didn't say crap about it while her hubby tortured her for years--but you never could tell the good guys from the bad guys . :slap:

Where is the evidence that Michael Schiavo has "tortured" his wife for years? I would hope that you have a very strong basis for such an accusation.

ReillyT said:
Where is the evidence that Michael Schiavo has "tortured" his wife for years? I would hope that you have a very strong basis for such an accusation.
He allowed the Dr.s to let her continue to live for years in spite on her request that she NOT be kept alive. Isn't torture what the death squads say she is experiencing now???

dilloduck said:
He allowed the Dr.s to let her continue to live for years in spite on her request that she NOT be kept alive. Isn't torture what the death squads say she is experiencing now???

No, for the most part I think they would say she doesn't feel a damn thing.

I thought you were suggesting that he actively abused her or something, which seemed a bit out of line. Obviously, that's not what you meant.

dilloduck said:

EXCELLENT POINT!!!

ReillyT said:
No, for the most part I think they would say she doesn't feel a damn thing.

I thought you were suggesting that he actively abused her or something, which seemed a bit out of line. Obviously, that's not what you meant.
Is there a difference?-----abusing her by neglecting her wishes is pretty cruel and now everyone is trying to pawn that crap off on the parents--what hypocrisy !! If she doesn't feel a thing, what are we trying to protect here? Her last wishes?? That was over the second her hubby allowed the drs. to insert the feeding tube !!!

dilloduck said:
Is there a difference?-----abusing her by neglecting her wishes is pretty cruel and now everyone is trying to pawn that crap off on the parents--what hypocrisy !! If she doesn't feel a thing, what are we trying to protect here? Her last wishes?? That was over the second her hubby allowed the drs. to insert the feeding tube !!!

Yes. I do think there is a difference between her husband's decision to continue care for 7-8 years and physical abuse. Even if her husband was aware that she did not want to continue in a PVS, it may have taken him some time to come to grip with the facts that rehabilitation was not possible and that the time had come to follow her wishes. I know if something like this were to happen to my wife, it might take me a long time to accept the fact that she would never be coming back. In fact, I might never be able to accept it. I would hope people don't characterize this as torture.

ReillyT said:
Yes. I do think there is a difference between her husband's decision to continue care for 7-8 years and physical abuse. Even if her husband was aware that she did not want to continue in a PVS, it may have taken him some time to come to grip with the facts that rehabilitation was not possible and that the time had come to follow her wishes. I know if something like this were to happen to my wife, it might take me a long time to accept the fact that she would never be coming back. In fact, I might never be able to accept it. I would hope people don't characterize this as torture.

OH so we give HIM the amount of time he needs to take care of business but her parents are now the devil for wanting to take care of her as she is???
Pure double standard bullshit!

dilloduck said:
OH so we give HIM the amount of time he needs to take care of business but her parents are now the devil for wanting to take care of her as she is???
Pure double standard bullshit!

Her parents aren't the devil at all. They have just refused or been unable to accept that rehabilitation is not possible. While I fault them for their attempts to demonize Michael Schiavo, I don't fault them for trying to prevent Terri from dying. Michael Schiavo, after a number of years and many attempts at rehabilitation (documented in court records) finally came to the conclusion that there was no point in attempting to bring her back. As her guardian, he then pursued what he believed her wishes were. I don't find fault with anyone here. It is just a very unfortunate circumstance.

ReillyT said:
Her parents aren't the devil at all. They have just refused or been unable to accept that rehabilitation is not possible. While I fault them for their attempts to demonize Michael Schiavo, I don't fault them for trying to prevent Terri from dying. Michael Schiavo, after a number of years and many attempts at rehabilitation (documented in court records) finally came to the conclusion that there was no point in attempting to bring her back. As her guardian, he then pursued what he believed her wishes were. I don't find fault with anyone here. It is just a very unfortunate circumstance.

When did Terri say she wanted to go through years of rehabilitation??? She wanted to DIE if that ever happened to her. I think it was criminal of him!

dilloduck said:
When did Terri say she wanted to go through years of rehabilitation??? She wanted to DIE if that ever happened to her. I think it was criminal of him!

I believe it was reasonable for him to believe that she would want to live if she could be rehabilitated. I have told my wife that if I am ever in a PVS, I would like her to "pull the plug," but I anticipate that she will actually make sure that I can't be rehabilitated first. This is just common sense stuff. Are you really this stupid?

ReillyT said:

Do you believe federal intervention was proper in this case?

ReillyT said:
I believe it was reasonable for him to believe that she would want to live if she could be rehabilitated. I have told my wife that if I am ever in a PVS, I would like her to "pull the plug," but I anticipate that she will actually make sure that I can't be rehabilitated first. This is just common sense stuff. Are you really this stupid?

hold on there, dude-----we are to assume she said this to him too?????
Common sense to you is violating someones last wishes to me and NOW thats the basis of court decisions

ReillyT said:

Damn, Reilly - that was uncalled for!

musicman said:
Do you believe federal intervention was proper in this case?

To be honest, I just don't know. The Congress can extend the jurisdiction of the federal courts to hear a due process claim. That is clear. However, there are considerations that call intervention in this case into doubt. Almost all of these considerations involve the question of federalism. For instance, courts generally recognize comity, which says that federal and state courts should respect the decisions of the other. That is based on federalist principles. Another concern is that this legislation targeted just one party, which is generally forbidden as a bill of attainder (although that usually deals with legislation that strips a party of rights, instead of conferring further review as in this case). I don't know on what basis to balance these conflicting principles.

This wasn't my most articulate response, but that is because I am still trying to get my head around these issues. In short, I just don't know. I think what Congress did was of questionable Constitutionality, but I don't know enough about this issue to make an informed decision one way or the other.

Forum List

Back