I just heard on NPR

Insurance is always misrepresented in this debate, as foxfyre correctly pointed out.

If you want a system that works, the word insurance should not be a part of the discussion.

I don't have a problem with insurance being a part of this discussion as long as it is a regulated free market system. Regulated ONLY to the extent of keeping us from doing economic, environmental, or physical harm to each other with impunity.

But the question has to begin with who is responsible for my healthcare. Me? Or you? Or Avg-Joe? Or everybody else?

If that isn't the first question on the list to be answered before all others, we won't get anywhere in any discussion.

I want to be responsible for my own health care. That's why I'm just sick (pun intended) over the amount of money I'm pouring in to the system now which will NOT be available to care for me when I'm old.

We really didn't need a 2,000 page bill to promote competition.Just allow people to purchase health insurance across state lines.

You DO realize that it's the STATES preventing people from doing that, right?

I point this out simple to remind you STATES RIGHTERS than the states are no less likely to screw the people over than the FEDs.

50 years ago, healthcare was affordable for most Americans. If you went to the doctor you paid out of pocket the $5 to $10 fee plus whatever x-ray or shot or other treatment that you received just as we paid out of pocket for home repairs, auto repairs, getting the television or lawn mower fixed. Insurance didn't kick in until you had exhausted a fairly high deductible. A semi-private hospital room was affordable for most and hospitals worked out a monthly pay plan for those who didn't have insurance or the money for their deductibles.

And then the government got involved.

Almost from Day One costs were no longer market driven and began escalating at an unprecedented rate that has accelerated as the years pass. And now we have unaffordable healthcare costs for most Americans and just as high a percentage of uninsured people as we had before. Except now the uninsured people aren't supposed to work out payment plans with healthcare providers. They look to the rest of us to pay their bills.

It is so simple people. Get government out of the healthcare business altogether except for what regulation is necessary to prevent monopolies and unfair trade practices and let the market work. Insurance companies, healthcare providers, pharmaceutical companies cannot stay in business without customers. Take away their biggest customer, the U.S government with its deep pockets, and they all will be forced to find ways to make their products affordable so the rest of us can buy them. Voila!!! Affordable healthcare again.

50 years ago insurance companies wanted nothing to do with the elderly because of all those pesky claims they file, so Medicare was invented.

Sending our 'health-care dollars' to private bureaucracies when we're young and working and then sending our medical bills to the tax payers when we're old seems stupid to me.

Because its insurance!

Wreck your car a few times and see what happens to your rate, that is if you can even buy insurance!

We really didn't need a 2,000 page bill to promote competition.Just allow people to purchase health insurance across state lines.

You DO realize that it's the STATES preventing people from doing that, right?

I point this out simple to remind you STATES RIGHTERS than the states are no less likely to screw the people over than the FEDs.

Excellent point.

The point of giving the federal government the power to regulate interstate commerce was for just this kind of scenario - to keep petty trade wars and protectionism between states from mucking up the national economy.

50 years ago, healthcare was affordable for most Americans. If you went to the doctor you paid out of pocket the $5 to $10 fee plus whatever x-ray or shot or other treatment that you received just as we paid out of pocket for home repairs, auto repairs, getting the television or lawn mower fixed. Insurance didn't kick in until you had exhausted a fairly high deductible. A semi-private hospital room was affordable for most and hospitals worked out a monthly pay plan for those who didn't have insurance or the money for their deductibles.

Almost from Day One costs were no longer market driven and began escalating at an unprecedented rate that has accelerated as the years pass. And now we have unaffordable healthcare costs for most Americans and just as high a percentage of uninsured people as we had before. Except now the uninsured people aren't supposed to work out payment plans with healthcare providers. They look to the rest of us to pay their bills.

It is so simple people. Get government out of the healthcare business altogether except for what regulation is necessary to prevent monopolies and unfair trade practices and let the market work. Insurance companies, healthcare providers, pharmaceutical companies cannot stay in business without customers. Take away their biggest customer, the U.S government with its deep pockets, and they all will be forced to find ways to make their products affordable so the rest of us can buy them. Voila!!! Affordable healthcare again.

50 years ago insurance companies wanted nothing to do with the elderly because of all those pesky claims they file, so Medicare was invented.

Sending our 'health-care dollars' to private bureaucracies when we're young and working and then sending our medical bills to the tax payers when we're old seems stupid to me.

The sad thing is, as a nation we've more or less been conned by the insurance industry. At the very least, we've fell for an ad campaign goading us into pretending insurance is something it isn't. They knew better, but they sold policies with the suggestion the concept was in 'investment' in our future. There is no promise that insurance companies will take care of you in your old age just because you gave them money when you were young.

Yep. And here we are, fifty years on, and we're still passing laws to supplement the insurance industry's game. I know, let's do more!

It sure is. Welcome to PPACA! Please visit your state "exchange" for more details.

Very true that anti trust laws could easily be used to break up state insurance monopolies and require states to allow unrestricted trade in insurance as much as any other product.

I do not see the problem as one generated by the insurance companies, but rather one created by corrupt or micromanaging government that requires insurance companies to adapt to government rather than the other way around.

Again the problem with insuring the elderly, as well as all others with potentially expensive conditions, is state or federal run catastrophic insurance companies along the lines of national flood and earthquake insurance.

But the fact is we cannot look to government to provide our healthcare and also have control over our healthcare. Taking the responsibility for it ourselves allows for the risk that some won't do that, but that is the price of freedom. We are free only when we have the choice.

The cure is simply make any non catastrophic health insurance policy illegal. Health care costs would fall like a rock.

Sounds like yet another rw who gets their health care via EMTALA at the emergency room.

^^^^^lie

You could count the number of times I've seen a doctor in the past 20 years on 4 fingers. None of them even hit my deductible.

Some people don't run to the doctor every time they get the sniffles.

I gave you the cure for high medical costs. Your simply afraid I'm right!

yup have not been to a quack in 32 years except for work requiired drug tests and phyisicals... how much money would I have wasted if I had to spend $3600 a year? (a low estimate) fuck Obama care.