I met this Jewish guy today and he really impressed me

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
Today, I met a new client, a Jewish man who owns his own business making assembly line systems integrated with robots.

The first thing he told me is he gave his employees the day off, because his employees are Christian, and Good Friday is a Christian holiday. He told me that he is at work because he's Jewish, and Good Friday is not his holiday.

And let me say this, I have not ever got a complete day off on Good Friday, even when the owners of the firm are Christians. A firm I'm working with now is closing its doors today at 3:00 p.m., which is a big too-doo 2.5 hours off for Good Friday.

And when Jews and Muslims ask for time off for their holidays, they are often met with hostility. I worked for a firm that was really nasty, an Orthodox Jewish paralegal asked for Yom Kippur off, and the secretary told her that "this is not a Jewish firm." And then, she accused the Jewish woman of inventing the holiday to get a free day off.

Here's the thing, I don't think that Jewish and Muslim holidays should join the list of federally mandated holidays because there's already too many holidays, but I think Christians should be generous enough to give their Jewish and Muslim employees the day off on their religious holidays, and not make them use up a vacation day.

I won't do the liberal bit and make this into another excuse to stir up hate and division between the religions. All I'm saying is that Christians should act like Christians and be generous to employees who have other faith traditions. Christians should be at least as generous, as the Jewish man I met today who gave Christians the day off for Good Friday.

What's holiday about this so-called "good friday"?

you don't know? Jesus ---being crucified----dies today-----I had to explain it to hubby too. SHEEEESH-------you would be killed in trivial pursuit. This sunday ----is the best----chocolate easter bunnies all over--------always ask for the legs. ----not the head The head is HOLLOW but the legs are virtually solid chocolate-----jerks always seem to want the EARS

Being something of an outsider looking in, Easter is gross with the crucifixion and all the human sacrifice stuff which was quite literal in some circles back in the day.
But anyway, Happy Easter to those of you who believe. Sing "Morning has Broken" for me.

you don't know? Jesus ---being crucified----dies today-----I had to explain it to hubby too. SHEEEESH-------you would be killed in trivial pursuit. This sunday ----is the best----chocolate easter bunnies all over--------always ask for the legs. ----not the head The head is HOLLOW but the legs are virtually solid chocolate-----jerks always seem to want the EARS
sounds very pagan to me.

Today, I met a new client, a Jewish man who owns his own business making assembly line systems integrated with robots.

The first thing he told me is he gave his employees the day off, because his employees are Christian, and Good Friday is a Christian holiday. He told me that he is at work because he's Jewish, and Good Friday is not his holiday.

And let me say this, I have not ever got a complete day off on Good Friday, even when the owners of the firm are Christians. A firm I'm working with now is closing its doors today at 3:00 p.m., which is a big too-doo 2.5 hours off for Good Friday.

And when Jews and Muslims ask for time off for their holidays, they are often met with hostility. I worked for a firm that was really nasty, an Orthodox Jewish paralegal asked for Yom Kippur off, and the secretary told her that "this is not a Jewish firm." And then, she accused the Jewish woman of inventing the holiday to get a free day off.

Here's the thing, I don't think that Jewish and Muslim holidays should join the list of federally mandated holidays because there's already too many holidays, but I think Christians should be generous enough to give their Jewish and Muslim employees the day off on their religious holidays, and not make them use up a vacation day.

I won't do the liberal bit and make this into another excuse to stir up hate and division between the religions. All I'm saying is that Christians should act like Christians and be generous to employees who have other faith traditions. Christians should be at least as generous, as the Jewish man I met today who gave Christians the day off for Good Friday.

you were great until you politicized it in the last paragraph.

sounds very pagan to me.

what? chocolate easter bunnies -----or crucifixtion? Chocolate is MEXICAN---and modified to deliciousness by the BELGIANS. Crucifixion is pagan. Are
you attempting to make a point?. Are you commenting on my SOLID CHOCOLATE
BUNNY LEGS theory?

I never had a job where I got Good Friday off. Didn't take the day off today either and did two jobs. I wouldn't expect an employer to consider my faith if I had one. There is an expectation these days for people to care about your feelings. I don't know how or when exactly it happened. But a job is a job. Work your religion around your job or find another job. Or religion.

I did politicize it, I admit. I just wanted to contrast my approach of voluntary generosity to employees, to the liberal way of doing things, which is stirring people up to hate each other, and starting riots in the streets, and blocking traffic for people who just want to get to work (including my daughter).

Yes some of the men are ok. Very respectful to women actually.

I never had a job where I got Good Friday off. Didn't take the day off today either and did two jobs. I wouldn't expect an employer to consider my faith if I had one. There is an expectation these days for people to care about your feelings. I don't know how or when exactly it happened. But a job is a job. Work your religion around your job or find another job. Or religion.
I know the world is tough, and employers don't have to be generous to their employees, I just wanted to contrast that with the approach of my new Jewish client, who shows generousity to his Christian employees, even though he personally doesn't give two figs about religion himself.

I just think being good to your employees is good business. Happy employees are more loyal than employees you've been kicking around.

I won't do the liberal bit and make this into another excuse to stir up hate and division between the religions.

This is Blackrook's version of "bless her heart"

- he is not going to be like 'liberals' and stir up hate and division- except towards liberals......

It's good to have Good Friday off, because there's things they do at Church that aren't done any other day of the year, like the procession around the church doing the stations of the cross.

Yes some of the men are ok. Very respectful to women actually.

Jewish men gave the PASTRAMI SANDWICH to the good Christians of the USA---
with mustard and on rye bread. Rye as a grain -----as far as I know----is not middle eastern------it is kinda European. Mustard is middle eastern----but I am not sure it is made into the yellow goooo. Pastrami is also European----but dried and sured meat is-----done in the middle east too

It's good to have Good Friday off, because there's things they do at Church that aren't done any other day of the year, like the procession around the church doing the stations of the cross.

Protestants do that too?

I know the world is tough, and employers don't have to be generous to their employees, I just wanted to contrast that with the approach of my new Jewish client, who shows generousity to his Christian employees, even though he personally doesn't give two figs about religion himself.

I just think being good to your employees is good business. Happy employees are more loyal than employees you've been kicking around.
Providing a job and paying people isn't kicking them around. You're a little mixed up. If it was a payed day off it was indeed generous but I imagine he could afford it. Interesting that he only hires Christians though, what's up with that?

Protestants do that too?
I have no idea what Protestants do on Good Friday. The stations of the cross are in every Catholic Church since the days of St. Francis of Assissi, who came up with the idea.

Forum List

Back