🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

I think I am done with MLB for good.

Immanuel

Gold Member
May 15, 2007
I don't particularly like either the Yankees or A-Rod, but if MLB bans A-rod like they did Pete Rose, I may very well be done for good. I get that he broke the rules and should be punished, but the bastards in the league offices have made this kind of crap political. This isn't about the good of baseball. Eliminating stats, keeping the greatest out of the Hall of Fame etc. affects the history of the game.

If a bunch of rich sons of bitches can toss a player for life and basically remove his name from the books because they don't like him why the hell should I get excited about the game? If you are a fan, you have memories of the game. Maybe it was Mark McGwire's record home run or maybe you were at the game when Pete Rose got hit number 4,192 or you are there when the Cubs finally win the series again. And then the idiots in the office say, "nope sorry it doesn't count in our books". I say screw them! Don't screw with the history of the game!

You cannot wipe out the stats of the best players in history, Rose and A-Rod being in that class, and maintain the integrity of the game. NCAA football is a sham now that they wiped out Joe Paterno's achievements and the achievements of everyone of his players. MLB is following in their footsteps. What a shame. I cannot get excited about a game, even a close game 7, if I think someday soon the people in the front office might nullify it tomorrow.

Immie

Last edited:
I don't particularly like either the Yankees or A-Rod, but if MLB bans A-rod like they did Pete Rose, I may very well be done for good. I get that he broke the rules and should be punished, but the bastards in the league offices have made this kind of crap political. This isn't about the good of baseball. Eliminating stats, keeping the greatest out of the Hall of Fame etc. affects the history of the game.

If a bunch of rich sons of bitches can toss a player for life and basically remove his name from the books because they don't like him why the hell should I get excited about the game? If you are a fan, you have memories of the game. Maybe it was Mark McGwire's record home run or maybe you were at the game when Pete Rose got hit number 4,192 or you are there when the Cubs finally win the series again. And then the idiots in the office say, "nope sorry it doesn't count in our books". I say screw them! Don't screw with the history of the game!

You cannot wipe out the stats of the best players in history, Rose and A-Rod being in that class, and maintain the integrity of the game. NCAA football is a sham now that they wiped out Joe Paterno's achievements and the achievements of everyone of his players. MLB is following in their footsteps. What a shame. I cannot get excited about a game, even a close game 7, if I think someday soon the people in the front office might nullify it tomorrow.

Immie

:clap2:
what they're doing to ARod is a disgrace, not to mention these are same people that turned a blind eye to riods when it was making them billions.

Last edited:
I realize its not Baseball but I remember during one NFL strike season (1987?) Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke (Who for some reason is worshiped in DC) said after a particularly boring Scab game: "That was the best game I've ever seen!". He also referred to his team and the NFL as "Selling Product". When you've always looked at Professional Sports as just that, a Profession, it's a little unsettling to hear an owner call his team "product" like they sell in any WalMart next to the outdoor furniture.

While the average Sports Fan cheers for a team and hopes for a Championship the Owners only look to stay in the Black Financially. I suspect many of them don't care if they EVER win a title. We care about Wins and Losses while they only care about Financial Loses.

The Owner of the San Diego Chargers was on a radio show about 10 years ago and the host asked him about the financial health of the team. Alex Spanos (and I paraphrase) said "You know we've made money every year except for one; the year we went to the Super Bowl".

So while we're disappointed our team didn't win a title or even make the playoffs, I suspect many owners feel relieved every year when they miss the post season.

And while the NFL is a 9 Billion dollar a year business, far more money is generated by the Bookies in Vegas every year. I'm CERTAIN that the 1919 White Sox were not the last team in any sport to throw a Title or even a single Game.

Immie

If he cheated, he cheated...striking A-Rod's name from the history book won't hurt my feelings one bit.

I can't get excited about a game where cheating makes a player millions of dollars.

If he cheated, he cheated...striking A-Rod's name from the history book won't hurt my feelings one bit.

I can't get excited about a game where cheating makes a player millions of dollars.

Me either....Pete Rose is a piece of shit, period...he bet on games, bet on his own Reds' games...Shoeless Joe got a lifetime ban for that and so did Rose....case closed. Drugs have always been around MLB.....it was amphetamines before steroids. That's what this is all about....drugs that work great for an athlete until they begin to destroy his body. Nobody cares about an adult making these decisions.....it's when high school kids copy their heroes that makes it imperative doping gets stopped when they catch them at it.

Lance Armstrong competed against an entire field of dopers....the all did it and still do...only the drug designs change to avoid detection. My Detroit Tigers are about to lose their shortstop to the clinic in Miami. Has Peralta flunked a drug test? Nope. But he's linked to the outfit and is looking at a 50 game ban for it. If he appeals, he plays the rest of the season but has to lose the first part of next season....he's a free agent. Who is gonna sign a guy who will miss the first 50 games in 2014? So Peralta will have to take his suspension starting tomorrow and hope the Tigers will reinstate him with 5 games left in the regular season....too late to play in the playoffs.

Still, he got caught. He signed an agreement to abide by league rules. He cheated. Now he pays with his checkbook and his reputation, as he should. As far as I'm concerned, Ty Cobb is still the hit's leader and Roger Maris is still the single season HR king, and Hank Aaron is still the all-time HR champ. :eusa_eh:

I can't stand watching baseball, it's the most boring sport on the planet.

After the 95 strike MLB juiced the ball and the players

Immie

Then suspend him for 200 games. That will just about destroy his career as it is. I could care less. What pisses me off is letting him play when he is making you money hands over fists and then when he has worn out his usefulness, wiping everything he did off the record books.

Screw the MLB. If he was cheating and it appears he was, then suspend him, but they let him play all those years when they knew he was cheating, but he was drawing fans like there was no tomorrow and now they want to say, "hehe, we were only teasing. His accomplishments brought fans through our gates, but now they don't count".

Screw that.

Immie

I can't stand watching baseball, it's the most boring sport on the planet.

After the 95 strike MLB juiced the ball and the players

MLB is a sport that needs to be watched in the stands.

Even when your team loses it's still a good game to watch. At least you get to watch them throw frozen ropes all over the place. Fielding is amazing.

Still, I can't follow it at all.

Immie

Then suspend him for 200 games. That will just about destroy his career as it is. I could care less. What pisses me off is letting him play when he is making you money hands over fists and then when he has worn out his usefulness, wiping everything he did off the record books.

Screw the MLB. If he was cheating and it appears he was, then suspend him, but they let him play all those years when they knew he was cheating, but he was drawing fans like there was no tomorrow and now they want to say, "hehe, we were only teasing. His accomplishments brought fans through our gates, but now they don't count".

Screw that.

Immie

Sorry, I'm not following your rationale.

What difference does it make if he stays in the record books or not.

They still made money and he is still disgraced.

If the records are the result of cheating, strike 'em.

No skin off your nose or mine.

Screw that.

Immie

It is the history of the game. Who cares about second best (especially when he probably cheated as well). Pete Rose got 4,256 hits and they were wiped out by the league office.

Yah know, I have to step back a bit on this. I was going to say that the fact that MLB just wiped out those hits sucks and no one cares who is second. I didn't even know who was second, by the way, it is Ty Cobb with 4,191. Well, I was going to say that wiping out those hits and his other records wipes out the history of the game as well and that not mentioning the fact that someone actually got more hits than Ty Cobb does not change the fact that it did happen... well, I went to MLB.com (which I think is the official site for MLB) and looked up most hits. Guess what... Pete Rose is listed as number one. Okay, I don't care if they banish A-Rod for life as long as they don't pretend like he never existed.

I stand corrected.

Immie

Screw that.

Immie

It is the history of the game. Who cares about second best (especially when he probably cheated as well). Pete Rose got 4,256 hits and they were wiped out by the league office.

Yah know, I have to step back a bit on this. I was going to say that the fact that MLB just wiped out those hits sucks and no one cares who is second. I didn't even know who was second, by the way, it is Ty Cobb with 4,191. Well, I was going to say that wiping out those hits and his other records wipes out the history of the game as well and that not mentioning the fact that someone actually got more hits than Ty Cobb does not change the fact that it did happen... well, I went to MLB.com (which I think is the official site for MLB) and looked up most hits. Guess what... Pete Rose is listed as number one. Okay, I don't care if they banish A-Rod for life as long as they don't pretend like he never existed.

I stand corrected.

Immie

Rose got the hits and Bonds hit the HRs....those numbers stand on the record books but neither will ever be inducted into the Hall of Fame because of what else they did. Bonds and McGuire and Sammy Sossa brought baseball fans back to the parks that one summer alright and "saved the game" after that stupid strike. Their numbers are in the books with an *asterisk for their doping. What MLB doesn't acknowledge, other than Roger Clemens, is that the pitchers in those years were doping too. And let's be real here....no steroid ever enabled a ballplayer to hit a baseball....considered the hardest feat in all of sports. What it did was make and keep them stronger and quicker to heal from the aches and pains of a 162 game season. I remember Frank Thomas hitting a ball 535 feet in an All Star HR hitting contest. No human can do that without steroids, yet Thomas has never been mentioned in the scandal. A-Roid is a target because he flaunted the rules, tested clean when they knew he was dirty, and was fucking Madonna 2 weeks after his wife had delivered a new baby. He is said to have been recruiting users like Peralta and others for that clinic in Miami. And don't forget the Yanks owe him $99M in future years that they would love to get out of by having Selig give him a lifetime ban.

I stand corrected.

Immie

Rose got the hits and Bonds hit the HRs....those numbers stand on the record books but neither will ever be inducted into the Hall of Fame because of what else they did. Bonds and McGuire and Sammy Sossa brought baseball fans back to the parks that one summer alright and "saved the game" after that stupid strike. Their numbers are in the books with an *asterisk for their doping. What MLB doesn't acknowledge, other than Roger Clemens, is that the pitchers in those years were doping too. And let's be real here....no steroid ever enabled a ballplayer to hit a baseball....considered the hardest feat in all of sports. What it did was make and keep them stronger and quicker to heal from the aches and pains of a 162 game season. I remember Frank Thomas hitting a ball 535 feet in an All Star HR hitting contest. No human can do that without steroids, yet Thomas has never been mentioned in the scandal. A-Roid is a target because he flaunted the rules, tested clean when they knew he was dirty, and was fucking Madonna 2 weeks after his wife had delivered a new baby. He is said to have been recruiting users like Peralta and others for that clinic in Miami. And don't forget the Yanks owe him $99M in future years that they would love to get out of by having Selig give him a lifetime ban.

Yeah, well at least he's not one of those evil Christians like Tim Tebow.........

Screw that.

Immie

I stand corrected.

Immie

Cheating has consequences.

That's the point.

Why should a guy who cheated get to have records?

I'm all for pretending he never existed.

All of them, wiped them out.

It sends the best possible message to up and comers, cheat, and the only record you will ever hold is "most consecutive games suspended".

I stand corrected.

Immie

Cheating has consequences.

That's the point.

Why should a guy who cheated get to have records?

I'm all for pretending he never existed.

All of them, wiped them out.

It sends the best possible message to up and comers, cheat, and the only record you will ever hold is "most consecutive games suspended".

Then why bother ever watching any sport on tv when wins/losses and records mean nothing and can be wiped out tomorrow at the whim of the front office? Basically, the sport is meaningless if there are no goals to be set or if the goals can be wiped out by someone with an axe to grind. Every one of Hank Aaron's home runs could be wiped out tomorrow by someone who wears a sheet over his head and just happens to find himself with a high paying job in MLB's front office. Without the records a sport is not any different than a boring game like Bingo.

Immie

Last edited:
I am a long-time fan of the NY Yankees. I am not much of a fan of A-Rod.

HERE is a quote I just came upon which puts the present controversy in (I say) a proper focus:

"The home runs that are hit because a guy's on performance-enhancing substances, those ruin somebody's ERA, which ruins their arbitration case, which ruins their salary," Los Angeles Angels pitcher C.J. Wilson said. "So it's a whole domino effect."
-- News from The Associated Press

A-Rod is a cheating prick. His cheating adversely impacted other player's records and their careers.

Fuck him.

He may get to play while he appeals his suspension. Again: News from The Associated Press

But I would prefer to see him just get saddled with the MORALS CLAUSE and thus not even be eligible for play while he "appeals."

The old saying I heard as a kid was "cheaters never prosper." Sometimes, sadly, that's not quite true. But it SHOULD be.

Oh, and FUCK A-Rod.

HERE is a quote I just came upon which puts the present controversy in (I say) a proper focus:

"The home runs that are hit because a guy's on performance-enhancing substances, those ruin somebody's ERA, which ruins their arbitration case, which ruins their salary," Los Angeles Angels pitcher C.J. Wilson said. "So it's a whole domino effect."

A-Rod is a cheating prick. His cheating adversely impacted other player's records and their careers.

Fuck him.

He may get to play while he appeals his suspension. Again: News from The Associated Press

But I would prefer to see him just get saddled with the MORALS CLAUSE and thus not even be eligible for play while he "appeals."

The old saying I heard as a kid was "cheaters never prosper." Sometimes, sadly, that's not quite true. But it SHOULD be.

Oh, and FUCK A-Rod.

Fine his ass! Hell, fine him millions upon millions of dollars, but leave the stats alone. That is how I feel. He should not prosper from his cheating, but neither should MLB simply pretend like he never existed.

Immie

Fuck him.

Oh, and FUCK A-Rod.

Fine his ass! Hell, fine him millions upon millions of dollars, but leave the stats alone. That is how I feel. He should not prosper from his cheating, but neither should MLB simply pretend like he never existed.

Immie

The point of a suspension is that he won't get paid. For him, that's HUGE fine. That is akin to fining him AND it stops him from padding stats that were already padded by his illegal use of the HGH and other PED's.

Since his "stats" are already phony, they can STAY in the "record books" but with a huge fat ASTERISK next to them (and next to his name) to denote the fraudulence behind his "stats."

Last edited:

Immie

no one is talking about eliminating stats -- that wasnt done with Rose or anyone else for steroids or any other reason, and it wont be done here either. Baseball has been very clear on this.

now if people want to they can debate the legitmacy of Bond's single season and career HR marks, but no one is taking them off the books.

And the worst part of the whole steroids saga is that what were once the two most recognized and prestigious records in sports -- single season and career HRs are now under a cloud of illegitamacy that wont be removed any time soon. And the great irony is that after Bonds the hope was that ARod would be the great celan hope -- the non user who would take over the all time HR lead and restore the prestige of the record. HA!

Immie

no one is talking about eliminating stats -- that wasnt done with Rose or anyone else for steroids or any other reason, and it wont be done here either. Baseball has been very clear on this.

now if people want to they can debate the legitmacy of Bond's single season and career HR marks, but no one is taking them off the books.

And the worst part of the whole steroids saga is that what were once the two most recognized and prestigious records in sports -- single season and career HRs are now under a cloud of illegitamacy that wont be removed any time soon. And the great irony is that after Bonds the hope was that ARod would be the great celan hope -- the non user who would take over the all time HR lead and restore the prestige of the record. HA!

I realized later that they were not wiping him off the pages of history and corrected that in post 11.

I don't know that I agree with your statement about a "cloud of illegitimacy". They all do it just some of them have never been caught or were not in the elite crowd anyway. Oops that won't score any points.

To me the records and stats make the game. If those are arbitrarily removed because someone does not like somebody else, then records don't mean shit and if that is the case, we may as well watch a game of Bingo.

Immie

Forum List

Back