I think I might be done with the Catholic Church...

Why does one have to belong to any church?

Why can't you just read the bible yourself and practice what it says?

Organized religion was established when most people were illiterate there is no need for it now
Why do people gather and eat as a family on Thanksgiving and other holidays?

Also, worship and prayer is not one or the other--it is both. We worship and pray individually, and we also gather to worship and pray as a community. Keep in mind many of us are involved in church ministries as well. A community and ministries are able to do more as a unit than is possible for a single individual.

Still no need to belong to a church

You can still give to your community as a group of concerned citizens you can still pray together.

There is no need for organized religion and clergy in order to do any of the things you mention.

You can still give to your community as a group of concerned citizens you can still pray together.

There is no need for organized religion and clergy in order to do any of the things you mention.
In this you have nailed it. There is no need or compulsion. We gather because we want to worship together, work together, and be together. There are a lot of us who do not have the feeling of, "I have to go to church," rather the joyful, "I get to go to church."

For example, in my town we have daily Mass twice each day, and about a hundred people show up for each time. We go because we want to be there--and also, I suspect, because of the graces received from God. It is a beautiful way to start the day. Others start their day with coffee. ;)

Because it goes directly against the bible teachings. No the definition of holy is sacred.
exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness.
Mary was not holy in any way. She was not perfect. She was a sinner. …

In this case she was not the mother of god. Accuser, challenger: Tell me the concrete situation when mother Mary had sinned and what kind of sin it was. Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Last edited:
The bishops allowed 1000 children to be molested by priests, a grand jury has found.

I might be done with carrying the water of a Church that has failed on such an epic level to live up to their own moral rules.

As long as my father is alive, I will continue to go to Mass with him, because I don't want to break his heart.

But after that, I think I'm done.
You may want to keep in mind that Judas decided he was done, as well. The other eleven decided they had something worth carrying forward. Judas represents eight percent of the Apostles. The number of priests who broke their own vows is far less than that. Leaving the Church because of this would also be a slap in the face to the ninety-seven percent who did not break their vows.

Here is the real deal. I have found in my life there is never one reason for someone to reach a major decision. There are always at least three reasons that push a person into making such a change. Have you pondered what those other two reasons might be that may also be pushing you towards this choice?

Why does anyone have to belong to any biological life? Christians belong to a spiritual living body. That's the way it is. We are never alone.

Because the most people don't know what's written there when they read the bible. The bible is an important book - but it is not a god. In no book of the world you are able to find your way for example. This book is not written yet. You are writing it. The bible helps you to do decisions - also wrong decisions if you do not speak with others about what you read and how you see the problems of your life. And the greatest paradox: Sometimes wrong ways are the best ways too.

Organized religion was established when most people were illiterate there is no need for it now

People who like to destroy "organization" like to do a very simple thing: "divide et impera". It's easy to break single human beings. And for this people are the bridgebuilders of the world enemies, although they had nothing to destroy without the bridgebuilders and cathedralbuilders of the world.

Last edited:
The bishops allowed 1000 children to be molested by priests, a grand jury has found.

I might be done with carrying the water of a Church that has failed on such an epic level to live up to their own moral rules.

As long as my father is alive, I will continue to go to Mass with him, because I don't want to break his heart.

You may want to keep in mind that Judas decided he was done, as well. The other eleven decided they had something worth carrying forward. Judas represents eight percent of the Apostles. The number of priests who broke their own vows is far less than that. Leaving the Church because of this would also be a slap in the face to the ninety-seven percent who did not break their vows.

Here is the real deal. I have found in my life there is never one reason for someone to reach a major decision. There are always at least three reasons that push a person into making such a change. Have you pondered what those other two reasons might be that may also be pushing you towards this choice?

Why does anyone have to belong to any biological life? Christians belong to a spiritual living body. That's the way it is. We are never alone.

Because the most people don't know what's written there when they read the bible. The bible is an important book - but it is not a god. In no book of the world you are able to find your way for example. This book is not written yet. You are writing it. The bible helps you to do decisions - also wrong decisions if you do not speak with others about what you read and how you see the problems of your life. And the greatest paradox: Sometimes wrong ways are the best ways too.

People who like to destroy "organization" like to do a very simple thing: "divide et impera". It's easy to break single human beings. And for this people are the bridgebuilders of the world enemies, although they had nothing to destroy without the bridgebuilders and cathedralbuilders of the world.

Don't confuse biology with religion

There is no need to belong to a church

In this you have nailed it. There is no need or compulsion. We gather because we want to worship together, work together, and be together. There are a lot of us who do not have the feeling of, "I have to go to church," rather the joyful, "I get to go to church."

For example, in my town we have daily Mass twice each day, and about a hundred people show up for each time. We go because we want to be there--and also, I suspect, because of the graces received from God. It is a beautiful way to start the day. Others start their day with coffee. ;)
The spirit of God is within us all but there is something special that happens when we gather in his name.

Additionally religion serves a purpose that governments can’t; they teach civility.

George Washington said it best, “And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion...reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.”

There is no "need" for many things that enhance life.
The spirit of God is within us all but there is something special that happens when we gather in his name.
Church is a time where we spend time with others who are set apart. It sets us apart from the rest of our life's routine, reminds us of who we are, not only as individuals, but as a people.

To me it is puzzling why people who do not go to church try to convince people who do go to church, not to go.

To me it is puzzling why people who do not go to church try to convince people who do go to church, not to go.

upload_2018-8-19_11-15-9.jpeg

and what of people that profess a true religion over a phony one, christianity are they puzzling for you as well.

and what of people that profess a true religion over a phony one, christianity are they puzzling for you as well.
I understand why people go to a Mosque, a Synagogue, a Temple, or a church. They do not puzzle me at all. Nor do people who join teams, clubs, fraternities/sororities. I feel no need at all to talk someone out of playing softball or going to their Moose Lodge or to their Mosque. Do you?

Ten simple Commandments from a God,

for the left to take the right wing seriously.

A religious, Social Tax instead of a Capital Tax.

I don’t believe the god of the Bible exists
People who interpret the through they perspective of 21st century culture and modern English are truly ignorant of the God the Bible presents. Which may be why the Bible also advises that each individual seek and search out God in their own lives. Do you think I (or anyone else) believes in the version of God you created via your limited understanding of the Bible?
I’m just saying god never visited Joseph Smith, Mohammad, Mary or Moses

I understand why people go to a Mosque, a Synagogue, a Temple, or a church. They do not puzzle me at all. Nor do people who join teams, clubs, fraternities/sororities. I feel no need at all to talk someone out of playing softball or going to their Moose Lodge or to their Mosque. Do you?

you did not answer, simply reiterated your pseudo religious monologue -

I understand why people go to a Mosque, a Synagogue, a Temple, or a church. They do not puzzle me at all.

images
images

It sets us apart from the rest of our life's routine, reminds us of who we are, not only as individuals, but as a people.

- reminds us of who we are, not only as individuals, but as a people.

- one observation of yours is true, you have always been as you are today.

One day I hope we evolve out of Islam and other cults like it.

What you may hope is that this fake religion, and others, all tone down their rhetoric and becomes a more peaceful harmless lie. Not me. I hope it goes away.

Us atheists are proof you don’t need religion to be happy. I’m ok with there not being a heaven....and hell

There is no "need" for many things that enhance life.
Church is a time where we spend time with others who are set apart. It sets us apart from the rest of our life's routine, reminds us of who we are, not only as individuals, but as a people.

You can do all that without organized religion clergy etc

To me it's puzzling why you all need a priest, pastor or whatever to tell you what the bible says when you are all capable of reading it yourselves

I’m just saying god never visited Joseph Smith, Mohammad, Mary or Moses
In three of four of these, you are correct. Joseph Smith was visited by the Angel Moroni; Mary and Muhammad were visited by the Angel Gabriel.

What would you replace it with?

One day I hope we evolve out of Islam and other cults like it.

What you may hope is that this fake religion, and others, all tone down their rhetoric and becomes a more peaceful harmless lie. Not me. I hope it goes away.

Us atheists are proof you don’t need religion to be happy. I’m ok with there not being a heaven....and hell
Have you considered that perhaps atheists have wrongly concluded that religion is only about heaven and hell? If that is all I thought religion covered, I might be in your camp. Why do you want Muslims to evolve out of peace, for Christians and Jews to evolve out of love? What is there beyond peace and love that you aspire to?

Religion is fine. What we hope for is that all who want to use religion for their own ends to evolve into atheists--thereby admitting they have been atheists all along.

Forum List

Back