I think I might be done with the Catholic Church...

Yes, and I know they probably never understood it. I’ve yet to hear one who was objective about it.
:) I can help you out there! My grandfather was, and so are my husband, uncle, and brother-in-law. I know several more as well. Every so often online posters put forth effort as well.

1. We have different standards for God. Their approach to God is that God should be this and do that. My approach was more, "Who is He?" Discovering God, not imagining what a God should be is our first difference.

2. If God is not going to act like our personal Genii, why put any time or effort into cultivating Him? Versus, How may I be of use to God and His plans?

3. Insisting God make Himself known is a big way versus seeing Him in the tiny whispers of our lives.

4. Wanting God as a servant versus yearning to be God's servant even in small ways at all times.

Yes, and I know they probably never understood it. I’ve yet to hear one who was objective about it.
:) I can help you out there! My grandfather was, and so are my husband, uncle, and brother-in-law. I know several more as well. Every so often online posters put forth effort as well.

1. We have different standards for God. Their approach to God is that God should be this and do that. My approach was more, "Who is He?" Discovering God, not imagining what a God should be is our first difference.

2. If God is not going to act like our personal Genii, why put any time or effort into cultivating Him? Versus, How may I be of use to God and His plans?

3. Insisting God make Himself known is a big way versus seeing Him in the tiny whispers of our lives.

4. Wanting God as a servant versus yearning to be God's servant even in small ways at all times.
That is spot on. You are very observant.

Do you mind if I use that?

Do you mind if I use that?
Of course not! But do remember it is only the general observation of one person, and that atheists, too, are unique. Thus, mileage varies (as the saying goes).

The bishops allowed 1000 children to be molested by priests, a grand jury has found.

I might be done with carrying the water of a Church that has failed on such an epic level to live up to their own moral rules.

As long as my father is alive, I will continue to go to Mass with him, because I don't want to break his heart.

But after that, I think I'm done.

What would you replace it with?
What would you replace it with?

the original religion of Antiquity, replacement was what occurred ...

Religion is not at all what atheists say it is.

Religion is business …

What was the business when hunters and gatherers created Göbekli Tepe and started in this way the process "human civilization" more than 10,000 years ago? How were they able to know what will happen? Why was religion the first step?

5000 years later lived Gilgamesh. Now exists the USA which makes nearly everyone worldwide angry with their ideas about the idea "business". Specially the superrich businessman Donald Trump - now president of the USA - … :rolleyes: … Had this man any chance to be a worthful member of a hunter and gatherer culture? I doubt about! I fear if he had been the chief of this people 10,000 years ago then civilization would still be an unknown word.

Last edited:
Wow how thick are you that you can't understand that you can still work as a group without the hierarchy of a church getting involved?

Or do you need to have a priest take your money and tell you what to do?
Tell me why you are against hierarchy. Are you against it in schools? In government? In other clubs and organizations? Or is it just the Church? Whenever a huge mass of people gather for a purpose, hierarchy develops. They are as much a part of the group as anyone else. Do you even understand how "hierarchy" works in the Catholic Church?

I was forced to attend Catholic church when I was young so yes I know.

Organized religion like the Catholic church is a bastardization of religion.

Somewhere along the line power and money has corrupted the Catholic church

And hierarchy is always corrupted so it's best to have as little of it as possible

I wouldn't expect atheist to understand a religion that is not their own any better than I would be able to understand a religion that was not my own. But they think they do.
You do know that many atheists were actually raised into a religion don;t you?

I understand religion and that is the reason I want nothing to do with it

The evolution of religion is well understood but because you cannot look beyond the one story you've been taught you cant see anything else and say you're objective.

Religion is business
a business that has convinced you you need to give it your money
The Red Cross is a business as well. Are you recommending I stop given them money as well? Why do we need the Red Cross to show up in disaster areas? Can't we all just show up at the disaster nearest us and be as effective as any coordinated effort?
The red cross is not one of the richest organizations in the world.

The Catholic church has enriched itself with gold and land not for the good of the needy but for their own self importance

Asking poor people to kiss a ring that cost more than some people make in a year is helping people get closer to god in what way?

... I was forced to attend Catholic church when I was young so yes I know.

You know nothing. You never had to do only a little with the holy catholic church. You just simple use stereotypical prejudices.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect atheist to understand a religion that is not their own any better than I would be able to understand a religion that was not my own. But they think they do.

The evolution of religion is well understood but because you cannot look beyond the one story you've been taught you cant see anything else and say you're objective.
That argument doesn't hold together. I stopped going to Church when I was 18.

Care to try again?

Care to try again?
No wonder you know nothing about the bible. :highfive:

Care to try again?
Did you stop to think what that means for atheists?

Care to try again?
Atheists realize that the bible is all made up. You don't and try to interpret it yourself. Big difference.

Care to try again?
Atheists realize that the bible is all made up. You don't and try to interpret it yourself. Big difference.
You just implied that atheists don’t know anything about the Bible because they don’t go to church. Make up your mind.

Care to try again?
You just implied that atheists don’t know anything about the Bible because they don’t go to church. Make up your mind.
No, I just explained it to you, atheists don't go to church because they realize that the bible isn't a god's word, but men's word.

Care to try again?
No, I just explained it to you, atheists don't go to church because they realize that the bible isn't a god's word, but men's word.
What does that have to do with you admission they can’t understand it since they don’t go to church.

What does that have to do with you admission they can’t understand it since they don’t go to church.
That's it, make up something I didn't say, it's all you've got. :lol:

Forum List

Back