I thought I'd enjoy our public lands today..

Look. I implicitly asked you who owns the property. Either you know who owns the property or you do not. I know there is no deed indicating "the people of Oregon" as the title holder to the property.
That ownership and the title history is what will make things more clear long term. In California the Federal Parks owned a portion but not all of the land was designation forest land for parks but some of it was managed by the National Forest bureau because of close proximity and the bureau was capable of managing it back then. They may have changed since I was there like the no entries allowed because of the lawsuit idjits.
In the State and federal parks near us, there are lots of entrances, like that with gates shut, but they are for maintenance travel only, like those coming in to mow the grassy edges of the drives or meadow areas, or for the crew that comes in and cuts up dead trees... btw, you can haul off that wood in the pile if you need some fire wood....that's why they try to leave stacks of it near the edge where you can drag it to a truck...

Eventually there will be one gate, larger and wider for two way traffic, that will be opened for cars
In most places in the west if you even pick up a stick outside and some inside of a camp area you are breaking their rules. Common sense would say let someone use the deadwood.

You're wrong about that, too. Most, if not all, of these are no access roads. You don't get to bypass the gates on foot.

This is where you and xelor could come to some sort of moment.

The point is that I and my ancestors would not have been born here and and have anything at all to say had the European/U.S. governments not seized the land from its original inhabitants. Having the seized and in a few instances purchased those lands, the government obtained title to them.
I got your point its just not a good one in your justification of totally denying the public (the American citizen) access. Since you did bring it up though we could maybe consider why all of the sudden this land is totally off limits to the public. Do you think the government has the right to deny citizens access totally to public lands? If so why?
I got your point its just not a good one in your justification of totally denying the public (the American citizen) access.

While Koshergirl claims that one cannot enter the wooded area she pictured -- she hasn't even specifically identified the parcel -- and I'm in no position to speak to that specific piece of land, as goes public lands in general, the government does not "totally deny" public access.

The specious point is the one Koshergirl made about seizure, not my refutation of that point.
If a gate is in place and it says no public entry beyond this point you can be charged with trespassing and there are those places all over in the west now. You said just walk in. Even on foot the sign is forbidding to go beyond that point so why would you break the law by not following the orders they laid out with a sign?
If a gate is in place and it says no public entry beyond this point you can be charged with trespassing and there are those places all over in the west now. You said just walk in. Even on foot the sign is forbidding to go beyond that point so why would you break the law by not following the orders they laid out with a sign?

And just what is written the sign affixed to the automotive traffic barrier? Does it say "no public entry beyond this point?"

wp_20170513_015-jpg.126507

So, while you are correct about a variety of other properties, the OP-er has shared with us no indication that the depicted property is among them.

Perhaps, however, she posted a photo of a property she didn't drive to and didn't want to enjoy. I wouldn't put it past her, to tell you the truth.
Thank you. This picture wouldn't fully load so I could read it clearly.

In most places in the west if you even pick up a stick outside and some inside of a camp area you are breaking their rules. Common sense would say let someone use the deadwood.
While I've over the years backcountry camped in a variety of public lands -- Monongahela National Forest, George Washington National Forest, Daniel Boone National Forest, Thomas Jefferson National forest, Sierra, Klamath, Three Sisters, Unitas, Katmai, Denali, Yosemite, Ansel Adams, and a few others -- I can't speak to what's permitted in "most places." The rules about what one can and cannot do in the woods vary by the woods and the conditions at the time one is there. In general, however, one will find the rules about what is and isn't permitted here: Wilderness.net - Three Sisters Wilderness - Rules and Regulations.

In my own experience camping in the "great outdoors," I have yet to go to a national wilderness area where using anything other than deadwood is what is expected if one is going to make a fire, and I haven't been to any that disallow campfires. (Frankly, I don't know how the hell one could expect to eat well in the backcountry if one didn't catch fish/game and cook it on a campfire.) Most of the time, places that are good for making camp already have fire rings present (I have no idea who put them there), but on one occasion my party had to build our own. (That was a PITA as our options were to build a dirt one or keep hiking until we came upon a locale that had abundant large-ish stones or an existing fire ring. That was the only time I went camping and encountered other people away from the local "swimming hole.") Going to "developed" campgrounds, however, is a different matter, and as I haven't ever camped or visited those places, I can't say what their regulations are.

While I've over the years backcountry camped in a variety of public lands -- Monongahela National Forest, George Washington National Forest, Daniel Boone National Forest, Thomas Jefferson National forest, Sierra, Klamath, Three Sisters, Unitas, Katmai, Denali, Yosemite, Ansel Adams, and a few others -- I can't speak to what's permitted in "most places." The rules about what one can and cannot do in the woods vary by the woods and the conditions at the time one is there. In general, however, one will find the rules about what is and isn't permitted here: Wilderness.net - Three Sisters Wilderness - Rules and Regulations.

In my own experience camping in the "great outdoors," I have yet to go to a national wilderness area where using anything other than deadwood is what is expected if one is going to make a fire, and I haven't been to any that disallow campfires. (Frankly, I don't know how the hell one could expect to eat well in the backcountry if one didn't catch fish/game and cook it on a campfire.) Most of the time, places that are good for making camp already have fire rings present (I have no idea who put them there), but on one occasion my party had to build our own. (That was a PITA as our options were to build a dirt one or keep hiking until we came upon a locale that had abundant large-ish stones or an existing fire ring. That was the only time I went camping and encountered other people away from the local "swimming hole.") Going to "developed" campgrounds, however, is a different matter, and as I haven't ever camped or visited those places, I can't say what their regulations are.
sterno.jpg

The woods were there. You and your dog were there. Why didn't you just walk your sorry ass into the woods with the dog and enjoy the public land? It doesn't appear parking and congestion was a potential impediment to your doing so.

Dog-Dog_Guide-A_dog_walk_in_the_woods.jpg

Here's my guess as to why: because you'd rather complain about not being able "enjoy the public lands" in exactly the way you wanted to do it.
irrelevant. The point is, I can't get to where I want to go because the access is blocked. Illegally,.

Not 'illegally'.

Get your poor little lazy snowflake ass out of the car, and you can walk right in.

In this world, there are some challenges that are very simple to overcome and others that are not. The complex ones are those things that require other people's concordance to surmount. The simple ones are the things one can best on one's own with just a little bit of effort. Getting out of the car and walking into the public woods so with the dog so one can enjoy them is one such thing.

For example, there are no roads that will allow one to enjoy these places.

Ok-Wen_Lake-Ann-from-Maple-Pass-loop_Miguel-Vieira.jpg

stelprdb5378557.jpg

3198.jpg

gw-large-image.jpg

Typically, there are roads that get one to the edge of or through the woods, but actually in the bucolic parts of the woods, there are only paths and trails.

stelprd3824434.jpg

Jefferson-NF_Upper-Little-Stoney-Falls_Eli-Christman.jpg

I doubt the OP-er sought such an "involved" outdoor experience, but the point is the same: get out of car and go enjoy the woods if that's what one wants to do.

There is also the matter of the OP-er titling this thread "I thought I'd enjoy our public lands today" and then in the course of discussing the matter writing, "They put the gates up as soon as they gain control of land...These are all access roads that were being used when I was young." Just what are we to make of that combination of statements?
  • Did the OP-er cease to be young in the time it took for the grass to overtake the access road? We can see clearly that the almost right up to the gate, grass has not overtaken the road.

wp_20170513_015-jpg.126507

I recall watching a show called Life Ater People, in which was mentioned how long it takes nature to reclaim developed lands, but I don't recall the period it takes for grass to take hold as firmly as it has on that closed road. I know it wasn't a matter of months, which means that road has been closed for quite some time.
  • If the roads were access roads, why did the OP-er write, "Most, if not all, of these are no access roads?" From the comment cited in the previous bullet, she cites them as being "access roads." Does she actually know whether they are access roads? In one post they are access roads, and in another they aren't. ????
I redirect the reader to post #2 in which I noted that the OP-er just wanted something to complain about. The inconsistency and lack of detail concerning the land under discussion strongly suggests that is indeed what was afoot in this thread's creation. It is merely her "soapbox" for the day.

View attachment 126552
That's great at "developed" campsites. In the backcountry, this is what I use, although it's exactly the one the guy in the video depicts, it's quite similar. I and my friends use that sort of kit because we must carry everything we need, and in the woods, what one needs is that which gets the job done and doesn't require us to have to carry stuff out of the woods.

OT:
I wish I'd had the prescience to think that I could have marketed and sold the camping bracelet my camping friend made. We may have made a nice little sum of money doing so. My friend wishes he'd "back then" known there might have been some available for sale. LOL

Last edited:
View attachment 126506 View attachment 126507 View attachment 126508 You know, the forests and lands the feds are taking money to maintain and hold for public enjoyment..
Are you mental? Have you been to a park before? You can't just off-road all over the place and drive down to the beach and park in the water. Try harder.
These are national forest land, and blm. And my point is that they don't have the right or authority to restrict our access to public lands and resources.
They sure as hell do have the right to control how those roads are used. When I was working for the Forest Service on the Malhuer, there was a road with a sign like that. Some asshole shot the lock off, and proceeded to drive down in. And, about 5 miles in, went down to the frame in a very soft area. Then tried to get a tow truck driver to get him out. The tow driver stopped at that gate, and called the police, as the law states he had to do. The fellow was arrested for illegal trespass, payed a big fine, and his truck overwintered right where it was stuck. Never did find out if he came back for it in the spring.

There are reasons those gates are in place. And you can walk around them and continue on foot. I have done that many times when going fishing in an area that the road was closed in. Kosher is simply on her high horse again, with zero reason.

View attachment 126506 View attachment 126507 View attachment 126508 You know, the forests and lands the feds are taking money to maintain and hold for public enjoyment..
Are you mental? Have you been to a park before? You can't just off-road all over the place and drive down to the beach and park in the water. Try harder.
These are national forest land, and blm. And my point is that they don't have the right or authority to restrict our access to public lands and resources.
They sure as hell do have the right to control how those roads are used. When I was working for the Forest Service on the Malhuer, there was a road with a sign like that. Some asshole shot the lock off, and proceeded to drive down in. And, about 5 miles in, went down to the frame in a very soft area. Then tried to get a tow truck driver to get him out. The tow driver stopped at that gate, and called the police, as the law states he had to do. The fellow was arrested for illegal trespass, payed a big fine, and his truck overwintered right where it was stuck. Never did find out if he came back for it in the spring.

There are reasons those gates are in place. And you can walk around them and continue on foot. I have done that many times when going fishing in an area that the road was closed in. Kosher is simply on her high horse again, with zero reason.

There's these things called "four-wheelers" Get you some.
How do they grant access where access is denied? The access points are restricted. And the landscape is altered in a way that obstructs access by atvs as well. They blew up the creek where my mom and her family lived thirty years ago, I was camped there when they did it. Today an obscure Audubon group control it, and there are boulders placed to prevent access to the water or the camp spots. What was a nice, open little area with several beautiful spots, an outhouse, low traffic and a pretty rocky beach has turned into a homeless camp, no toilet..a steep embankment down to the creek, giant boulders strewn everywhere. That's not management, that is destruction. Cows are forbidden, so there are no more pretty pastures...but there is a large commercial marijuana grow right on the creek, and a giant drying shed, owned by millionaires out of cali.

Chainsaw + 4-wheeler and you can go anywhere you want.

I can envision a 4-wheeler trail right around that gate. Oh? they put a berm up? well, we'll go around that, too.

:banana:

How do they grant access where access is denied? The access points are restricted. And the landscape is altered in a way that obstructs access by atvs as well. They blew up the creek where my mom and her family lived thirty years ago, I was camped there when they did it. Today an obscure Audubon group control it, and there are boulders placed to prevent access to the water or the camp spots. What was a nice, open little area with several beautiful spots, an outhouse, low traffic and a pretty rocky beach has turned into a homeless camp, no toilet..a steep embankment down to the creek, giant boulders strewn everywhere. That's not management, that is destruction. Cows are forbidden, so there are no more pretty pastures...but there is a large commercial marijuana grow right on the creek, and a giant drying shed, owned by millionaires out of cali.

I can envision a 4-wheeler trail right around that gate. Oh? they put a berm up? well, we'll go around that, too.

And if I see your scuzzy ass out there, I will take pictures, and see that that the law gets those pictures. And I will be willingly to testify in court against you. There are reasons those roads are closed, and people like you are one of the reasons.

And you can watch as the Forest Service auctions off your four wheeler for court costs. LOL

And if I see your scuzzy ass out there, I will take pictures, and see that that the law gets those pictures. And I will be willingly to testify in court against you. There are reasons those roads are closed, and people like you are one of the reasons.

And you can watch as the Forest Service auctions off your four wheeler for court costs. LOL
shut up you stupid statist asshat. Commie occupation of public lands is ending.no they will not confiscate dick.

View attachment 126552
That's great at "developed" campsites. In the backcountry, this is what I use, although it's exactly the one the guy in the video depicts, it's quite similar. I and my friends use that sort of kit because we must carry everything we need, and in the woods, what one needs is that which gets the job done and doesn't require us to have to carry stuff out of the woods.

OT:
I wish I'd had the prescience to think that I could have marketed and sold the camping bracelet my camping friend made. We may have made a nice little sum of money doing so. My friend wishes he'd "back then" known there might have been some available for sale. LOL

California back country where I grew up it was generally no fires do to the fire threat.

View attachment 126552

OT:

California back country where I grew up it was generally no fires do to the fire threat.

shut up you stupid statist asshat. Commie occupation of public lands is ending.no they will not confiscate dick.

View attachment 126552

OT:

it depends on fire danger and time of year.

They deliberately create extreme fire danger ny leaving and piling slash. That makes it impossible for animals to get around to eat down the grass and brush, and provides a guarantee that every lightning strike, prescribed burn, campfire and motor vehicle has the potential to decimate. And they do decimate. Then they use that as an excuse to restrict access.

View attachment 126552

OT:

They deliberately create extreme fire danger ny leaving and piling slash. That makes it impossible for animals to get around to eat down the grass and brush, and provides a guarantee that every lightning strike, prescribed burn, campfire and motor vehicle has the potential to decimate. And they do decimate. Then they use that as an excuse to restrict access.

View attachment 126552

OT:

Southern California is generally dry. Once those old Pine trees burned only shrub Oak grew back in there places. Vehicles were also are banned in a lot of areas when the fire threat is high. The Forest Dept. employees didn't even drive into those areas when the bans were in effect. I had a buddy that was the top guy there and he said the rules applied the same to them as the public on those bans. That is the way it used to be, I couldn't tell you today if it is the same.

View attachment 126552

OT:

The last few years that has been the case in much of Eastern Oregon during the summer. After a wetter year, we may be able to have campfires this summer.

View attachment 126552

OT:

The last few years that has been the case in much of Eastern Oregon during the summer. After a wetter year,

View attachment 126552

OT:

Oh my, so Kosher thinks that the Forest Service can control the amount of precipitation that an area recieves. LOL

Forum List

Back