I want a new puppy .. Any suggestions

Akita. Best dog I ever had.

images

Akita. Best dog I ever had.

images

Akitas can be aggressive.
I never found that to be the case. Mine was perfect, never snapped, got along with cats and other dogs. Loved kids and was loved by all the neighbors.

My aunt has always loved Akitas, she's had several over the years. Some were OK, some were more aggressive than I would tolerate. They are pretty cool dogs, though. Do they shed much?

Labs and Retrievers. The kindest dogs, but both prone to hip displacia.

With that said....save one from the dog pound. Any kind.

Akitas can be aggressive.
I never found that to be the case. Mine was perfect, never snapped, got along with cats and other dogs. Loved kids and was loved by all the neighbors.

My aunt has always loved Akitas, she's had several over the years. Some were OK, some were more aggressive than I would tolerate. They are pretty cool dogs, though. Do they shed much?
They do shed, but if you brush 'em it's not so bad. They have 2 coats. I had a Malamute that was a lot worse when it came to shedding and you couldn't trust her around kids, but my Akita was great with kids. He hated the UPS man though. LOL

They do shed, but if you brush 'em it's not so bad. They have 2 coats. I had a Malamute that was a lot worse when it came to shedding and you couldn't trust her around kids, but my Akita was great with kids. He hated the UPS man though. LOL

Akitas probably have that double undercoat that many other similar breeds have. Some breeds are really great family dogs. My Great Pyrenees would make the best family protector, but would always be a problem around strangers. She does her job really well, though, because she lives with and protects my goats. There is no way I'd have a Pyr as a house pet. No way.

Akitas probably have that double undercoat that many other similar breeds have. Some breeds are really great family dogs. My Great Pyrenees would make the best family protector, but would always be a problem around strangers. She does her job really well, though, because she lives with and protects my goats. There is no way I'd have a Pyr as a house pet. No way.
Cool looking dogs though...HUGE!

We lost our Boston last year and just last week we lost our boston/jack russell mix . I want a new puppy. We have a pug and a weiner dog/rotty mix ( yes he looks like a weiner dog on steriods) . He is 16 and my pug is 3. We know the older one will not be here with us that much longer so we are looking into another pup in the next year. Any suggestions??? I would love to get another boston but I have yet to find a good breeder here in town. I have looked at the humain society without any luck as well. What other small/mid size dogs would you suggest??

call other shelters in other cities near by.....

Cool looking dogs though...HUGE!

Not only cool and huge, she's a hoot to watch. Today, she was holding a carrot between her front paws and just chowing down on it. She eats hay, too. I really like watching when she's patiently lying there while a half dozen tiny goats use her for a jungle gym. Even though the goats are her life, she is totally devoted to me. Pyrs are very independent but they are also very protective. If you have small children you want protected, a Pyr will do a great job. Just be ready for the immense shedding problem. I don't even brush my Pyr, I thatch her.

Good luck with the puppy pick.
Took me 10 years to appreciate out mutt. Just enough Chow to give him that "attitude".

When he's gone, I'm done with dogs. If the wife wants another, I'll remind her where the door is.

I doubt I'll have another indoor pet dog. I will probably always have working dogs around my place. The Pyr has a purpose, which she fulfills splendidly. No bears, no foxes, no wolves, no people consider trespassing or harming my livestock while a Pyr is on guard.

When my furkids go over rainbow bridge..I will be done too. I am getting too old and decrepit to take care of animals any more. I might get a gold fish.

When my furkids go over rainbow bridge..I will be done too. I am getting too old and decrepit to take care of animals any more. I might get a gold fish.

lol a goldfish. I know ive always wanted a parrot ( I have parakeets now) but then i heard they live to be like 80 sometimes? thats a LONG time! :confused:

Forum List

Back