I Was a Warehouse Wage Slave

I've had jobs that were close to this bad (a long time ago), and it seemed like no matter how bad they were or how hard they forced you to work, there were some people who could do it easily and were reasonably happy doing it. They complained a lot, but when somebody stays someplace for 20 years doing the same thing, I think their actions speak louder than words.

As the writer acknowledges, it's a different experience for her than for everyone else, since she knows she can get out any time she wants. Maybe if there is no easy exit you make a better psychological adjustment.

I've had jobs that were close to this bad (a long time ago), and it seemed like no matter how bad they were or how hard they forced you to work, there were some people who could do it easily and were reasonably happy doing it. They complained a lot, but when somebody stays someplace for 20 years doing the same thing, I think their actions speak louder than words.

As the writer acknowledges, it's a different experience for her than for everyone else, since she knows she can get out any time she wants. Maybe if there is no easy exit you make a better psychological adjustment.

There's a big difference between saying the workers adjusted and the workers are genuinely happy. While I am familiar with the happiness that can be had at warehouse employment with strangers, there is no one who wishes they were being used and abused. Wage slavery is abuse. No one desires to wake up for years straight and work a mindless job. Humans are naturally creative and in order for their psyche to flourish there must be opportunity to express and create freely. Otherwise the human animal takes over that pushes complicated levers for food is what we adjust to...that is not happiness, that's accepting your fate. And this ought not to be any humans fate, to become a lever pushing creature.

I don't think "happy" has ever been part of my job description.

I personally do work that most people find insufferable (analyzing and negotiating legal documents), but I do it well and don't mind doing it. I've been doing it in various environments since 1975.

People on an assembly line often find themselves doing the same thing, over and over for years. It is nice when an employer can figure out ways to keep them stimulated but most employers don't worry about it, and as long as the work gets done with minimal errors, nothing changes.

Psychological abuse is simply bad management. These businesses are apparently thriving in spite of the fact that their management practices are stupid. It's not that uncommon.

Fortunately, there is no lock on the door. If you think you can find something better you are free to do so. Otherwise, you have an obligation to do your job and not be a cancer fomenting problems with your coworkers.

Forum List

Back