I was wrong about Covid 19, and you probably was too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anecdotal stories are not science.
It does make sense that young people that smoke and vape weed (or tobacco), are obese, or have other underlying issues are more vulnerable to severe symptoms.
The fear machine is on full tilt!
A 32 year old, who 48 hours earlier was at work, feeling a little funny. Last night he was on life support and fighting for his life.
I take raw data seriously. A 32 year old getting the flu bad certainly is a rarity. Needing life support 2 days later is a freak case. Meaningless without knowing the patient's medical history.

The FACTS that concern me are:
  1. 80,000 people DIED of influenza-like illnesses last season, JUST IN THE USA. That is about double the average. There was no panic, no alarm, no government lockdowns, no school closings, no bailouts, nothing.
  2. So far there are only about 13,000 Covid deaths WORLDWIDE, and we are calling it a pandemic with every State in a state of "emergency." So far, 6.8 people have died per state.
  3. There has only been ONE death attributed to Covid in my state. Last week, the governor closed all the liquor stores.
  4. No one I've talked to has known a single person whose died, been sick with the Covid flu or has SEEN anything that would suggest to him this year is any worse than any other flu season.
  5. I've crunched the numbers. If you take the number of people divided by the number of confirmed Covid cases, that means you are STILL 3.6X MORE LIKELY to get hit by lightning than to contract Covid. And that is only to get it. Only about 0.5% (best guess) actually die from it.
I'M CALLING BULLSHIT.

Well, if you were in charge, did nothing and pretended like this was just the seasonal flu, 2 million Americans will be dead by the end of this year. That's more than all the Americans that have died in all the wars the United States has fought in over its 250 year history. This is about PREVENTION! Preventing people from dying, not waiting till it happens. Its not accurate to be comparing last year's typical annual flu season with a new virus causing a global pandemic.

When a building is on fire, people don't wait to evacuate the building until 50% of the occupants are dead. They evacuate the building and try to get as many people out alive as possible! With a pandemic, if you WAIT, it will be to late to stop the spread!
you have no data to make that statement, but hey thanks for the laugh.

Read this:

Realize the implications if the proposal above is not implemented. Think about the exponential growth of the virus over a time period of 9 months. I'm sure you took math in school and can crunch the numbers from the link and spread it over a 9 month period. That will definitely get you to 2 million deaths by the end of the year if drastic measure are not taken.
no evidence of that needed. none. the reason for higher active cases is because more tests were given. I bet the majority of those will be recovered this week. or they are showing people who don't have symptoms.

I hope your right. They would be a miracle. Were at 35,000 infections and 458 deaths, we'll see where were at on March 30, 2020 in terms of infections and deaths.

#1) I disagree he failed to act.

#2) So is South Korea. The cases in the US % wise are very few and far between.

1.) He should have shut the international borders back in February. He only shut down direct transport from China. Just shutting down travel from one country does virtually nothing in those globalized market place.

2.) Japan is the better comparison. Japan only has 9 cases per 1 million in population. The United States now has 98 cases per one million in population. The United States had a chance to be Japan. But Trump failed to act!

#1) He was getting mixed messages. He didn't want to happen in terms what is happening now. Economy in an upheaval, unemployment rising to 20% and kids not in schools. It is easy to be the Monday Morning QB but this was a very difficult decision. He did shut down travel but the virus was already here.

#2) Japan is much smaller than US and it is not all Trump. We are a Republic not an Empire. Trump was vilified and called a racist for closing travel to and from China if you recall.

#1) Trump is President and when he fails to do the job, you need to let him go.

#2) Japan is 5 times the size of New York State in terms of population, but only has 1,086 cases compared to New York States 22,000+! Massive failure.

#1) People will decide in November

#2) Ever been to NY...people are literally on top of one another. Not the size but the density is what counts. I am not shocked NY got it so bad.

Japan has greater population density than New York State. Tokyo is a larger city than New York City.

You just said NY has more people in it than all of Japan? Is NY larger than all of Japan in terms of territory?

No, I said JAPAN is 5 times the size of New York State in terms of POPULATION. It is 3 times the size of New York State in terms of territory.

So then Japan has better social distancing and is more proactive? What are you trying to say? Russia has fewer cases as well. I believe those countries along with South Korea acted faster because of their proximity to China.

Waiting to act is why the United States is in this current mess it is, while Russia and Japan have a relatively light infection numbers. You could wait maybe a day or two, but that's it. Thanks to air traffic, it takes less than 24 hours to get from middle of China to the furthest point on the planet from there which would be the middle of Argentina. That's how fast this lethal pathogen can spread around the world now that its in humans. The time to shut everything down was back on February 1, 2020.

Stop over hyping the lethality of this bug.

The lethality of this bug is way lower than advertised because we know that an unknown and potentially large number of people have been infected but their symptoms were mild or even nonexistent any they never sought medical help or got tested

1.) He should have shut the international borders back in February. He only shut down direct transport from China. Just shutting down travel from one country does virtually nothing in those globalized market place.

2.) Japan is the better comparison. Japan only has 9 cases per 1 million in population. The United States now has 98 cases per one million in population. The United States had a chance to be Japan. But Trump failed to act!

#1) He was getting mixed messages. He didn't want to happen in terms what is happening now. Economy in an upheaval, unemployment rising to 20% and kids not in schools. It is easy to be the Monday Morning QB but this was a very difficult decision. He did shut down travel but the virus was already here.

#2) Japan is much smaller than US and it is not all Trump. We are a Republic not an Empire. Trump was vilified and called a racist for closing travel to and from China if you recall.

#2) Japan is 5 times the size of New York State in terms of population, but only has 1,086 cases compared to New York States 22,000+! Massive failure.

#2) Ever been to NY...people are literally on top of one another. Not the size but the density is what counts. I am not shocked NY got it so bad.

Japan has greater population density than New York State. Tokyo is a larger city than New York City.

You just said NY has more people in it than all of Japan? Is NY larger than all of Japan in terms of territory?

No, I said JAPAN is 5 times the size of New York State in terms of POPULATION. It is 3 times the size of New York State in terms of territory.

So then Japan has better social distancing and is more proactive? What are you trying to say? Russia has fewer cases as well. I believe those countries along with South Korea acted faster because of their proximity to China.

Waiting to act is why the United States is in this current mess it is, while Russia and Japan have a relatively light infection numbers. You could wait maybe a day or two, but that's it. Thanks to air traffic, it takes less than 24 hours to get from middle of China to the furthest point on the planet from there which would be the middle of Argentina. That's how fast this lethal pathogen can spread around the world now that its in humans. The time to shut everything down was back on February 1, 2020.
what does that mean, waiting to act,? did you miss the closing of borders to china?

Closing down travel with just China does not accomplish much given the nature of travel around the world. When there is a pandemic, you shut down ALL your borders and travel routes with ALL countries. That is what Russia did. Its what the United States should have done back in February.

The lethality of this bug is way lower than advertised because we know that an unknown and potentially large number of people have been infected but their symptoms were mild or even nonexistent any they never sought medical help or got tested

I'm just repeating what the SCIENCE on this has said and what people who study pandemics have said. The harm done by overreacting is minimal compared to the harm done by not acting enough.

No one was ready for this kind of crisis that will end up touching us all to some degree.
Thats only because the incompetent fuckup in the WH claimed it was not a big deal and a hoax.

Nope. Wouldn't have mattered who was in the White House, and wouldn't have mattered what they said. Once the dominoes started to fall around the world, our fate was sealed.
The world in 2020 is so mobile, nothing could have stopped this. It would have helped some if we would have tightened up our borders and restricted certain countries from coming here, but this would have only slightly delayed the inevitable.

Nope. Government action matters. Trump failed. Japan has only 1,086 cases. The United States has 32,000+. New York State alone has 17,530 and New York State is five times smaller than Japan in population. This is Trump's mess, the buck stops with him. The only question is how bad things will get. Hopefully New York state reaches a peak soon and then starts to level off.

As I finish writing this, the United States is now at 38,000+ cases and New York State is at 22,000+ cases. Japan still only has 1,086 cases. If New York State were a country, it would have the 6th largest total in the world now.

What's the population of Japan compared to the US?

If you're going to make that comparison use percentages if you can figure out how to calculate them

For example in my state .006% of the population has been confirmed by testing to have been infected.

Sorry I don't see this as the apocalypse it is being made out to be

Population of Japan: 126,000,000

Population of United States: 332,000,000

So the United States is nearly 3 times the size of Japan, but has 35 times more cases. That's a massive failure by TRUMP!
Not really it just proves that the US population is much more mobile and the US is a much more popular international destination.

The fact that most cases are being reported in the most densely populated areas should be no surprise either

Japan is just as mobile as the United States in terms of transportation. In fact, they are even more mobile given their much larger public transportation networks. Plus their population on average is much older and more vulnerable. Yet, they have succeeded in keeping infections low, despite their greater exposure to China.

How many Japanese people travel to China regularly compared to the number of Americans? And the Chinese and Japanese people really don't like each other much so it's not likely they have a huge influx of people from China visiting Japan or vice versa

I see no real analog to Japanese out of country travel habits to Americans and there is no way that Japan has the influx of foreign travelers that we do here.

I'm just repeating what the SCIENCE on this has said and what people who study pandemics have said. The harm done by overreacting is minimal compared to the harm done by not acting enough.

It Depends on how you define harm.

I think destroying the businesses of many millions of people is pretty harmful

2 million Americans will be dead by the end of this year.
You gotta love these Tards which pull these figures out of their ass. I calculated recently according to infection case figures that you had a 1:585,000 chance of contracting the virus. And of that, about 0.5% of all infections result in death. As of yesterday, we had 8 deaths on average per state. 400 nationwide. We only need to increase our fatality now by a factor of FIVE THOUSAND.

But we are preventing that. All we have to do is shelter in place for months on end destroying business, the economy, people's jobs and life savings, and instead of 2 million lives ruined, we will have destroyed 340 million.

Anecdotal stories are not science.
It does make sense that young people that smoke and vape weed (or tobacco), are obese, or have other underlying issues are more vulnerable to severe symptoms.
The fear machine is on full tilt!
A 32 year old, who 48 hours earlier was at work, feeling a little funny. Last night he was on life support and fighting for his life.
I take raw data seriously. A 32 year old getting the flu bad certainly is a rarity. Needing life support 2 days later is a freak case. Meaningless without knowing the patient's medical history.

The FACTS that concern me are:
  1. 80,000 people DIED of influenza-like illnesses last season, JUST IN THE USA. That is about double the average. There was no panic, no alarm, no government lockdowns, no school closings, no bailouts, nothing.
  2. So far there are only about 13,000 Covid deaths WORLDWIDE, and we are calling it a pandemic with every State in a state of "emergency." So far, 6.8 people have died per state.
  3. There has only been ONE death attributed to Covid in my state. Last week, the governor closed all the liquor stores.
  4. No one I've talked to has known a single person whose died, been sick with the Covid flu or has SEEN anything that would suggest to him this year is any worse than any other flu season.
  5. I've crunched the numbers. If you take the number of people divided by the number of confirmed Covid cases, that means you are STILL 3.6X MORE LIKELY to get hit by lightning than to contract Covid. And that is only to get it. Only about 0.5% (best guess) actually die from it.
I'M CALLING BULLSHIT.

Well, if you were in charge, did nothing and pretended like this was just the seasonal flu, 2 million Americans will be dead by the end of this year. That's more than all the Americans that have died in all the wars the United States has fought in over its 250 year history. This is about PREVENTION! Preventing people from dying, not waiting till it happens. Its not accurate to be comparing last year's typical annual flu season with a new virus causing a global pandemic.

When a building is on fire, people don't wait to evacuate the building until 50% of the occupants are dead. They evacuate the building and try to get as many people out alive as possible! With a pandemic, if you WAIT, it will be to late to stop the spread!

Read this:

Realize the implications if the proposal above is not implemented. Think about the exponential growth of the virus over a time period of 9 months. I'm sure you took math in school and can crunch the numbers from the link and spread it over a 9 month period. That will definitely get you to 2 million deaths by the end of the year if drastic measure are not taken.
no evidence of that needed. none. the reason for higher active cases is because more tests were given. I bet the majority of those will be recovered this week. or they are showing people who don't have symptoms.

I hope your right. They would be a miracle. Were at 35,000 infections and 458 deaths, we'll see where were at on March 30, 2020 in terms of infections and deaths.
I agree. we did one week, if anyone expected to see changes when more tests went up, isn't a thinking person. Let's complete the task at hand. Cause what you'd be implying is that people staying indoors made it worse. So implementing your thought would kill us.

350000000 people in the US

32356 confirmed corona cases

.009% of the population
Good to see that you are ok with people dying.

Not everyone who gets it will die

tell me do you panic every flu season where tens of thousands of people die?

Big difference with Flu Season:

1. We have a vaccine every year for flu season that nearly half of the population gets.
2. Millions of people get the flu and the death rate from is very low.
3. People have some built up immunity already because flu viruses are similar
4. Coronavirus is not a flu virus.
5. Coronavirus is a NEW virus for which humans have no immunity.
6. Unlike the flu, there is NO vaccine yet for coronavirus.
7. The death rate from coronavirus is 10 to 20 times greater than the flu based on infection and death rates.

Every school in the United States K through 12 is shut down now indefinitely to try help stop the spread. That is the FIRST time in the country's history that has ever happened! This is serious. The people who don't take this seriously risk getting other Americans killed.

UPDATE....

The 32 year old died last night.
They now have 13 critical patients on support, and a few dozen in quarantine. The hospital is at a critical point of running out of breathing machines. As well as beds to put Covid patients. Will run out of beds most likely today.
And this is just 1 out of 9 hospitals.
Saturday a few critical, Sunday 13.... today.... ?

What state and county of that state is this taking place?

No one was ready for this kind of crisis that will end up touching us all to some degree.
Thats only because the incompetent fuckup in the WH claimed it was not a big deal and a hoax.

Nope. Wouldn't have mattered who was in the White House, and wouldn't have mattered what they said. Once the dominoes started to fall around the world, our fate was sealed.
The world in 2020 is so mobile, nothing could have stopped this. It would have helped some if we would have tightened up our borders and restricted certain countries from coming here, but this would have only slightly delayed the inevitable.

Nope. Government action matters. Trump failed. Japan has only 1,086 cases. The United States has 32,000+. New York State alone has 17,530 and New York State is five times smaller than Japan in population. This is Trump's mess, the buck stops with him. The only question is how bad things will get. Hopefully New York state reaches a peak soon and then starts to level off.

As I finish writing this, the United States is now at 38,000+ cases and New York State is at 22,000+ cases. Japan still only has 1,086 cases. If New York State were a country, it would have the 6th largest total in the world now.

If you're going to make that comparison use percentages if you can figure out how to calculate them

For example in my state .006% of the population has been confirmed by testing to have been infected.

So the United States is nearly 3 times the size of Japan, but has 35 times more cases. That's a massive failure by TRUMP!
Not really it just proves that the US population is much more mobile and the US is a much more popular international destination.

The fact that most cases are being reported in the most densely populated areas should be no surprise either

Japan is just as mobile as the United States in terms of transportation. In fact, they are even more mobile given their much larger public transportation networks. Plus their population on average is much older and more vulnerable. Yet, they have succeeded in keeping infections low, despite their greater exposure to China.

How many Japanese people travel to China regularly compared to the number of Americans? And the Chinese and Japanese people really don't like each other much so it's not likely they have a huge influx of people from China visiting Japan or vice versa

I see no real analog to Japanese out of country travel habits to Americans and there is no way that Japan has the influx of foreign travelers that we do here.

1. China is Japan's largest trading partner for both imports and exports.
2. Japan has just as many airline flights, buses, and trains as the United States. In fact, it has greater public transportation across the country than the United States on a per capita basis.
3. Geographic proximity. Very short transportation times for air and sea travel between Japan and China relative to the United States. That leads to more connections among the people of both countries regardless of what happened 75 years ago during World War II.

2 million Americans will be dead by the end of this year.
You gotta love these Tards which pull these figures out of their ass. I calculated recently according to infection case figures that you had a 1:585,000 chance of contracting the virus. And of that, about 0.5% of all infections result in death. As of yesterday, we had 8 deaths on average per state. 400 nationwide. We only need to increase our fatality now by a factor of FIVE THOUSAND.

But we are preventing that. All we have to do is shelter in place for months on end destroying business, the economy, people's jobs and life savings, and instead of 2 million lives ruined, we will have destroyed 340 million.

There is an economic cost to having 2 million people killed in one year as well that your not considering. There is an economic and societal cost when Hospitals became overwhelmed and can no longer function and care for sick people. The damage will ripple through the economy. There is no way to avoid the economic side effects of this pathogen. The only option we have now is saving lives.

If 2 million people are dead by the end of the year and the health care system is overwhelmed and destroyed, think about the economic ripple effects that would have on the rest of the country. Business's are going to be destroyed regardless of what happens. The only question is, DO YOU WANT TO SAVE LIVES! We still can save people's lives.

1. China is Japan's largest trading partner for both imports and exports.
2. Japan has just as many airline flights, buses, and trains as the United States. In fact, it has greater public transportation across the country than the United States on a per capita basis.
3. Geographic proximity. Very short transportation times for air and sea travel between Japan and China relative to the United States. That leads to more connections among the people of both countries regardless of what happened 75 years ago during World War II.
The US never has been and never will be analogous to Japan.

They wear face masks over there all the time

If 2 million people are dead by the end of the year and the health care system is overwhelmed and destroyed, think about the economic ripple effects that would have on the rest of the country. Business's are going to be destroyed regardless of what happens. The only question is, DO YOU WANT TO SAVE LIVES! We still can save people's lives.

So you're making up a number and assuming it will come to pass.

Tell me do you know how many people have contracted this bug and recovered without ever seeking medical attention or getting tested?

what does that mean, waiting to act,? did you miss the closing of borders to china?

Closing down travel with just China does not accomplish much given the nature of travel around the world. When there is a pandemic, you shut down ALL your borders and travel routes with ALL countries. That is what Russia did. Its what the United States should have done back in February.
it's where it originated. common sense.

Doesn't really matter what that percentage is. What matters is --- how close is it to you.

one person in my entire county has tested positive.

Great. Zero persons in my entire county, or any one surrounding it, have tested positive.

Yay us. Fringe benefits of living rural.

But you won't see me going over them thar mountains to Tennessee, or down to that other Carolina. Don't need to. Gas is cheap now.
No one I know in rural CA has it either and you can bet that we won't be going to the LA or SF shitholes probably ever again.

Ah thank you. "Shitholes", that reminds me.

Speaking of which, it's the fourth Sunday of the month and time to check in on Rump's "shithole countries" and see how they're shittin' up. Let's have a look.

Nigeria:
30 total cases, 0 deaths, 0.1 infections per 1M population.

Uganda:
1 case, 0 deaths, 0.03 infections per 1M population

Somalia:
1 case, 0 deaths, 0.06 infections per 1M population

Kenya:
15 cases, 0 deaths, 0.3 infections per 1M population.

Congo:
3 cases, 0 deaths, 0.5 infections per 1M population.

Nicaragua:
2 cases, 0 deaths, 0.3 infections per 1M population

Haiti:
2 cases, 0 deaths, 0.3 infections per 1M population.

Venezuela:
70 cases, 0 deaths, 2 cases per 1M population.

"Button"
1 case, 0 deaths, 0.3 infections per 1M population.

"Nipple"
1 case, 0 deaths, 0.03 infections per 1M population.

Ghana:
21 cases, 1 death, 0.7 infections per 1M population --- AHA! See that, they're dying in Ghana. What a shithole.
Nobody travels to those shitholes, and people who live there are too poor to travel outside those shitholes, so it is no surprise the Chinese virus is rare in those shitholes.

Glad I could clear that up for ya.

Here we see Nostril is as conversant on how viruses work as Lush Rimjob is on how birth control works.

Doesn't fucking matter how many "travel there", Dumbass. It's a virus. It spreads by itself. Don't never need to spread it 'cause it spreads by itself. It only takes one to introduce.

But there they are, the "shitoles", aren't they. Let's compare those numbers with ours:

32,783 cases, 416 deaths, 99 people infected per 1M population.

Remind me, Nostril, what defines "shithole" countries?

The virus needs a host, dumbass. It can’t just get on a plane and travel to every country on its own. No one vacations or does business in those countries so they have few cases. But give it time. This virus will be everywhere

So you're making up a number and assuming it will come to pass.

Tell me do you know how many people have contracted this bug and recovered without ever seeking medical attention or getting tested?
no, no one will provide it. no one. I have asked and asked and asked and of course our great journalists don't ask, because they know it will diminish the crisis.

BTW, thinking about this over the weekend, this a Jim Jones moment. How many will drink the koolaid. Not this man or his family.

350000000 people in the US

32356 confirmed corona cases

.009% of the population
Good to see that you are ok with people dying.

Not everyone who gets it will die

tell me do you panic every flu season where tens of thousands of people die?

Big difference with Flu Season:

1. We have a vaccine every year for flu season that nearly half of the population gets.
2. Millions of people get the flu and the death rate from is very low.
3. People have some built up immunity already because flu viruses are similar
4. Coronavirus is not a flu virus.
5. Coronavirus is a NEW virus for which humans have no immunity.
6. Unlike the flu, there is NO vaccine yet for coronavirus.
7. The death rate from coronavirus is 10 to 20 times greater than the flu based on infection and death rates.

Every school in the United States K through 12 is shut down now indefinitely to try help stop the spread. That is the FIRST time in the country's history that has ever happened! This is serious. The people who don't take this seriously risk getting other Americans killed.

Figures that Dem voter in New York city with a population of 8 million in the city would be the ones to Fuck the Stats up here..........

Oh...............I love living in the Fly over states..............

Guy down the road has cows for sale..............Sounds like grill out time while stuck at home......LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back