Ideas for fixing minimum wage.

Back when I was in the disaster response game, we would have these conventions from time to time where you’d go and share ideas and techniques blah blah blah. The group from the Bay Area had an advertising slogan about their official response posture; “The First 72 Are On You” meaning that you needed to have a 3 day supply of food, water, medicine, clothing… The reason given was that the Bay Area is so expensive that few first responders can afford to live there, the land is so expensive that storing enough supplies for 200,000 people is not cost effective (and would probably be over-run well before by homeless), and that if they did pre-position them, nobody would be there to effectively dispense the goodies.
Would we have this problem if Persons could simply apply for unemployment compensation for merely being unemployed in our at-will employment States?

Translation: you want to be paid for not working. That's your bottom line and what your otherwise meaningless phrases really mean.
capitalism has a natural rate of unemployment. it is natural.

That's nothing more than your excuse to avoid the responsibility of providing for yourself. Yes, there will always be the unemployed, but here's the secret, so pay careful attention:

Are you disabled and CAN'T work? Legitimate claim and you deserve assistance. There are programs to help you.

Were you laid off through no fault of your own and can't find work for a while? Legitimate claim and you deserve TEMPORARY access to the unemployment insurance your employer has been paying all this time. That's what it's there for. That, and NOT for those who didn't work at all.

Are you a single parent working as much as you can while trying to raise your children? Legitimate claim and you deserve TEMPORARY assistance, but don't expect to have more children and stick the taxpayers for all the bills.

If you DON'T fit into one of those categories, don't expect the taxpayers to pick up the tab for your life. Choosing not to work does not put you in the ranks of the "natural rate of unemployment". Did you notice the word I capitalized in the points above? TEMPORARY. That means we're willing to help you get back on your feet, but we're not willing to carry you when you can walk on your own. This is what it boils down to: you don't want to work a job and you want the taxpayers to pay your bills WHEN YOU ARE ABLE TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. You cloak that desire in vague, gassy terms, but at its heart, that's what it is. Stop it. Stop pretending. Stop repeating your failed, meaningless phrases. Just stop it.
how does what You advocate help solve our homeless problem?

You're moving the goal posts trying to avoid dealing with what I said. We weren't talking about homelessness, we were talking about the fact that you want taxpayers to pay your bills so you don't have to work, even though you can. Deal with that first.

Would we have this problem if Persons could simply apply for unemployment compensation for merely being unemployed in our at-will employment States?

Translation: you want to be paid for not working. That's your bottom line and what your otherwise meaningless phrases really mean.

That's nothing more than your excuse to avoid the responsibility of providing for yourself. Yes, there will always be the unemployed, but here's the secret, so pay careful attention:

Are you disabled and CAN'T work? Legitimate claim and you deserve assistance. There are programs to help you.

Were you laid off through no fault of your own and can't find work for a while? Legitimate claim and you deserve TEMPORARY access to the unemployment insurance your employer has been paying all this time. That's what it's there for. That, and NOT for those who didn't work at all.

Are you a single parent working as much as you can while trying to raise your children? Legitimate claim and you deserve TEMPORARY assistance, but don't expect to have more children and stick the taxpayers for all the bills.

If you DON'T fit into one of those categories, don't expect the taxpayers to pick up the tab for your life. Choosing not to work does not put you in the ranks of the "natural rate of unemployment". Did you notice the word I capitalized in the points above? TEMPORARY. That means we're willing to help you get back on your feet, but we're not willing to carry you when you can walk on your own. This is what it boils down to: you don't want to work a job and you want the taxpayers to pay your bills WHEN YOU ARE ABLE TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. You cloak that desire in vague, gassy terms, but at its heart, that's what it is. Stop it. Stop pretending. Stop repeating your failed, meaningless phrases. Just stop it.

You're moving the goal posts trying to avoid dealing with what I said. We weren't talking about homelessness, we were talking about the fact that you want taxpayers to pay your bills so you don't have to work, even though you can. Deal with that first.
i have a solution, you don't. how Worthless, is that.

Again, several state and municipal governments have raised their minimum wage in their jurisdiction. No massive layoffs. ....
Then why limit your aspirations? If you really believe that, why only $15/hr? Are you just cruel? Why not $20/hr? Why not more?

I haven't yet found a mw advocate who will answer this question honestly. Clearly you have some reason for not raising minimum wage to very high levels. Is it a secret?

Raising it 30% or so to $10 per hour is a healthy increase.

:eusa_dance: Seldom do most workers get a 30% raise. :eusa_dance:

I’ve said it numerous times. I haven’t yet found someone on the board who cannot read English. Perhaps you’re the first. :dunno:

Why can't you just answer the question? Is it that painful? If there are no downsides to raising MW, why not raise it to the point that we're all rich?

I don’t recall making the argument that there are no downsides.

Then what are they?!?!? Why the evasion?

What do you think they are?

You so this every time you paint yourself into a corner, and you've been in this corner many times.

You so this every time you paint yourself into a corner, and you've been in this corner many times.
solving simple poverty promotes the general welfare.

Labor needs to be able to afford our First World economy.

Back when I was in the disaster response game, we would have these conventions from time to time where you’d go and share ideas and techniques blah blah blah. The group from the Bay Area had an advertising slogan about their official response posture; “The First 72 Are On You” meaning that you needed to have a 3 day supply of food, water, medicine, clothing… The reason given was that the Bay Area is so expensive that few first responders can afford to live there, the land is so expensive that storing enough supplies for 200,000 people is not cost effective (and would probably be over-run well before by homeless), and that if they did pre-position them, nobody would be there to effectively dispense the goodies.

I lost my job because of a political post I made on Facebook. My job, selling car parts for Eckler's, decided they didn't like my political point of view, called me racist for being anti-muslim, and fired me. I was unemployed for more than the 10 weeks they paid unemployment for, got a job that I kept for a month before getting injured with multiple fractures to my left foot. I did not fall, jump, or anything they just fractured all by themselves. I am not qualified for short term disability because I wasn't employed long enough to get enough points for FAML whatever. I can't walk, not supposed to stand, I can't work and nobody is giving me money to pay my bills.

I'm also Bipolar and they won't give me disability for it either even though my bipolar has cost me a lot of jobs, getting me fired.

So what about me?

---
My sister has Liver Psorosious, severe menopause and periods and sometimes can't leave the house. Her medication puts her too sleep. She's been disabled for years but the government keeps denying her because they said she can still do a sit down job. How the fuck is she supposed to get to her sit down job?

---
The disability laws are a joke. You have to be homeless, for months, before you can qualify for disability. Or a game player and cheat the system.

I lost my job because of a political post I made on Facebook. My job, selling car parts for Eckler's, decided they didn't like my political point of view, called me racist for being anti-muslim, and fired me. I was unemployed for more than the 10 weeks they paid unemployment for, got a job that I kept for a month before getting injured with multiple fractures to my left foot. I did not fall, jump, or anything they just fractured all by themselves. I am not qualified for short term disability because I wasn't employed long enough to get enough points for FAML whatever. I can't walk, not supposed to stand, I can't work and nobody is giving me money to pay my bills.

I'm also Bipolar and they won't give me disability for it either even though my bipolar has cost me a lot of jobs, getting me fired.

So what about me?

---
My sister has Liver Psorosious, severe menopause and periods and sometimes can't leave the house. Her medication puts her too sleep. She's been disabled for years but the government keeps denying her because they said she can still do a sit down job. How the fuck is she supposed to get to her sit down job?

---
The disability laws are a joke. You have to be homeless, for months, before you can qualify for disability. Or a game player and cheat the system.

We can always revisit disability, that's not the argument. The poster continually pops up and wants to be paid even though he chooses not to work. Not for disability, not for hard life circumstances, simply for choosing not to work.

So what about me?

---

---

We can always revisit disability, that's not the argument. The poster continually pops up and wants to be paid even though he chooses not to work. Not for disability, not for hard life circumstances, simply for choosing not to work.
You can't employ everyone, even in right to work States.

Capitalism has a natural rate of unemployment.

Compensation for that natural rate of unemployment is market friendly and provides automatic stabilization to our economy, along with ensuring liquidity.

More evasion? I've been clear - I think minimum wage causes unemployment and inflation. You deny that, which is fine, but you seem to think it has some downside. Is it just some kind of gut feeling? Can you be more specific?
inflation happens regardless; and compensation for capitalism's natural rate of unemployment solves that problem.

Amazon did, several states did, several cities did. No massive lay offs.
The argument that raising the MW leads to layoffs was proven false over and over.

Businesses raising wages voluntarily has nothing to do with minimum wage laws.
Again, several state and municipal governments have raised their minimum wage in their jurisdiction. No massive layoffs.

Seattle approves $15/hr minimum wage.

Missouri did it in November.
Your assumption was proven wrong; by several entities.

Then why limit your aspirations? If you really believe that, why only $15/hr? Are you just cruel? Why not $20/hr? Why not more?

I haven't yet found a mw advocate who will answer this question honestly. Clearly you have some reason for not raising minimum wage to very high levels. Is it a secret?

Raising it 30% or so to $10 per hour is a healthy increase.

:eusa_dance: Seldom do most workers get a 30% raise. :eusa_dance:

I’ve said it numerous times. I haven’t yet found someone on the board who cannot read English. Perhaps you’re the first. :dunno:

How much of a raise did people get making $10 bucks an hour?

So what about me?

---

---

Compensation for that natural rate of unemployment is market friendly and provides automatic stabilization to our economy, along with ensuring liquidity.

If you will not work when you can work and there are jobs available, why do you deserve taxpayer money?

So what about me?

---

---

If you will not work when you can work and there are jobs available, why do you deserve taxpayer money?
Firms fail all the time. People being able to quit means those who are the least motivated to work, won't have to.

Minimum wage has nothing to do with the consumer price index and minimum wage is not meant to be a freaking career choice. Why should mom and pop stores be compelled to pay a shelf stocker more than the freaking job is worth? The unintended consequences to raising the M.W. is that small businesses will fire minimum wage people, invest in robotics and sweep the floors themselves.

Minimum wage has nothing to do with the consumer price index and minimum wage is not meant to be a freaking career choice. Why should mom and pop stores be compelled to pay a shelf stocker more than the freaking job is worth? The unintended consequences to raising the M.W. is that small businesses will fire minimum wage people, invest in robotics and sweep the floors themselves.
we use fiat money; that means Government Tells you what it is worth.

I suspect that many of them will go out of business. It's hard enough to compete with the Walmarts and Amazons as it is, but throw in the higher labor costs and it gets damn near impossible. And for some small businesses, it's enough to just close up shop because the investment in time and money just isn't worth it.

More evasion? I've been clear - I think minimum wage causes unemployment and inflation. You deny that, which is fine, but you seem to think it has some downside. Is it just some kind of gut feeling? Can you be more specific?

I guess not.

I suspect that many of them will go out of business. It's hard enough to compete with the Walmarts and Amazons as it is, but throw in the higher labor costs and it gets damn near impossible. And for some small businesses, it's enough to just close up shop because the investment in time and money just isn't worth it.
who cares if we lose low wage jobs. they are a drag on our economy.

who cares if we lose low wage jobs. they are a drag on our economy.

People who can only land low-wage jobs.

So what about me?

---

---

Firms fail all the time. People being able to quit means those who are the least motivated to work, won't have to.
I believe everyone willing to work should earn a living wage. But you believe that those able bodied but unwilling to work should be supported too? Why? What have they done to deserve being supported as leeches to society?

Forum List

Back