If a person goes to sleep with a blocked nose, they will die of suffocation. I have a bad cold - how do I prevent myself from falling asleep?

In March, 1996, Mark Gleeson, 26, died when he intentionally blocked up his nose in a desperate bid to stop himself from snoring. He went to bed and died of suffocation because his nose was blocked.

I have a REALLY bad cold right now, my nose is fully blocked and I've been awake for days, the blocked nose is lasting longer than usual and I don't want to die so I'm wondering how everyone else manages to stay awake for a week or longer when they have a super rough cold?

Seriously?? Looking for medical advice on the USMB? That's like asking for financial advice from a street begger. You might however win a Darwin award if you follow any advice that you get here and wind up croaked

Are there any actual scientific studies which back this up? I couldn't find any

How about a personal test. Haven't you ever been sick?

Did you not sleep the entire time you were sick?

If it was true that a reflex exists (during sleep) to breathe through the mouth, then Mark Gleeson would not have died.

Mark Gleeson had sinus problems due to an accident. He also drank wine and took sleeping pills before he went to bed.

The idea that people cannot breathe through their mouth when they sleep is ridiculous. I have seasonal allergies, so my nose is clogged every spring. I breathe through my mouth just fine. The worst thing to happen is a dry mouth.

Incorrect. Look up ''Mark Gleeson snoring death''. He shoved tampons up his nostrils to try and cure his snoring, before going to bed. He died of suffocation in his sleep because his nose was blocked.

Impossible. Open your mouth and pinch your nose shut. Can you breathe?

How about a personal test. Haven't you ever been sick?

Did you not sleep the entire time you were sick?
No. I always had this instinct that if I fell asleep I would suffocate and die. Then, I read about Mark Gleeson's death, so it looks like my instincts were telling the truth. I think everyone stays awake when their nose is fully blocked, otherwise we'd constantly be hearing of people dying in their sleep from blocked noses. I'm wondering how everyone else manages to stay awake for days on end. Usually I get mild colds and I only get a fully blocked nose for two or so days but it's been four days now

If it was true that a reflex exists (during sleep) to breathe through the mouth, then Mark Gleeson would not have died.

Again. When you are sick, do you breathe through your nose or mouth?

In March, 1996, Mark Gleeson, 26, died when he intentionally blocked up his nose in a desperate bid to stop himself from snoring. He went to bed and died of suffocation because his nose was blocked.

I have a REALLY bad cold right now, my nose is fully blocked and I've been awake for days, the blocked nose is lasting longer than usual and I don't want to die so I'm wondering how everyone else manages to stay awake for a week or longer when they have a super rough cold?

Have you ever heard of snoring? You don't snore through your nose. So ever person who snores is sleeping and breathing through their mouth.

Mark Gleeson had sinus problems due to an accident. He also drank wine and took sleeping pills before he went to bed.

The idea that people cannot breathe through their mouth when they sleep is ridiculous. I have seasonal allergies, so my nose is clogged every spring. I breathe through my mouth just fine. The worst thing to happen is a dry mouth.

All sources on Mark Gleeson's death say it was his nose being stuffed that killed him, not the sleeping pills.

No. I always had this instinct that if I fell asleep I would suffocate and die. Then, I read about Mark Gleeson's death, so it looks like my instincts were telling the truth. I think everyone stays awake when their nose is fully blocked, otherwise we'd constantly be hearing of people dying in their sleep from blocked noses. I'm wondering how everyone else manages to stay awake for days on end. Usually I get mild colds and I only get a fully blocked nose for two or so days but it's been four days now

I sleep more when I'm sick, but that's just me.

Uh-oh. Someone who thinks "If I heard it on TV it must be right".

Yes, it was reported by several news agencies that someone shoved tampons up their nose after drinking wine and taking sleeping pills, and they died. How far back did the tampons reach? I didn't see that.

Think of the millions of people who snore. Every single one of them is breathing through their mouth.

Forum List

Back